“A good stay with excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Ann Arbor
“A good stay with excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our entire band stayed there this past weekend and it was a great stay. We will be back for sure. The rooms were great and the service overall were great. It is not always easy for a Hotel to accommodate over 200 teenagers (our band) but they did and it was really a good trip. C.J. especially was extraordinarily helpful and really made sure that we were well taken care of from the very moment we walked in right up until the final moments when we left. His staff were all very helpful, they really made us feel welcomed. Thanks everyone! This stay left a very good impression on all of us and we will be back as individuals and as a band.

Room Tip: The higher floors are the quieter ones. Go for the 4th floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Grants Pass, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I arrived at the hotel at 4am (I literally was moving across the country). I asked the woman at the front desk if I could get a discount since I was arriving so late. I got a discount and they also let me check out 2 hours later than usual (so I could SLEEP!) without any additional charge.

The room was comfortable, quiet, and clean. I don't know if they had breakfast or not. This hotel is located RIGHT next to the freeway (I didn't hear the noise at all) so it was nice and conveient for me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Escanaba, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here for one night and had the most bizarre experience with check-in. We arrived at the hotel at 9 P.M. after a long day of travel. There was no attendant at the front desk and there was a note on the counter saying that someone would return momentarily. There was a gentleman who had just travelled all the way from Spain waiting to check in also. After about 15 minutes of waiting, others started to arrive to check in. And we waited...and we waited. Finally after about 40 minutes I noticed two way radio and tried to page the attendant...nothing. Then we called the front desk several times and got the answering machine. After about 45 minutes, I started to get very frustrated but at the same time worried that something may have happened to the attendant so I called the central Holiday Inn phone number. This person was very helpful in that she tried contacting the front desk attendant to no avail, and then rebooked us in a different HI Express hotel across town. We were not happy about having to drive across town but what were going to do? As I was just about to hang up with customer service, in walks the front desk attendant.....HUH?
While still on the phone with the customer service, I told her we had been waiting for over an hour. She replied that she hadn't been gone for an hour. Everyone in the lobby knew she had been gone that long. The customer service rep asked to speak with her on my phone. I heard her tell her that she ahd been helping a guest. What could possibly take an hour or more? Was she bathing them and putting them to bed? It was so bizarre.
So we ended up staying at this property, but it was very difficult to sleep because it was so unsettling.
Also, she told us there would be some compensation for our difficulties and that she would call us after she spoke to her manager to confirm this. We told her that since it was so late to call us in morning or we would check at check-out(she said she would leave a note).
Well when we checked out the next day there was a new attendant. She handed us our bill and there was no compensation deducted from it. We told her there would be a note: she red the note and said yes that 10 dollars was deducted from our bill. It was not...it was price we booked the room for!
This desk person said she would have her manager call us and took our number. I asked for the managers number and she said not to worry, that her manager would call. Riiiggghht. She never called.
I would never stay at this property again...that bordered on ridiculousand I am not one complain much.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Fab44,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We took the kids here for the weekend so they could enjoy the water park.

The room was nice and clean. Very up-to-date in decor. Lots of kids screaming and running around, but that all ended around 10 PM.

Breakfast was good as long as you are not on a diet! I did find yogurt and hard boiled egg which were filling and good enough for me. Cinnamon rolls, donuts, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereal, and a cute little pancake maker were also included. My kids loved the variety.

As for the water park, my kids had a lot of fun! The water was 83 degrees. The adult hot tub was 106 - very nice and relaxing. Kids under 16 are not allowed to even put their feet in. My 6 year old loved the slide. It is very fast and one of the adults had to stand at the bottom to catch her as she came out like a bullet - she always had a smile on her face when she came up.

There were MANY people in the pool during the weekend. If I had to say anything that could improve here, it would be the number of lifeguards (only one on the bottom area when we were there) and their awareness while on duty. The girl on duty when we were there was not very "alert". She has two different pools to watch over and she seemed to be looking at her whistle a lot or blowing it at kids who were not walking to the slide most of the time. With so many people in the pool and some boys jumping in like wild animals almost landing on smaller kids... this is dangerous. Nothing was said to them though. The water is also not crystal clear and it's hard to see the bottom, so those lifeguards should be moving around like they do at Disney World looking at all times. Instead, they sit down in one spot not moving.

Also,the first night I mentioned to my husband how the elevator did not seem very "dependable"...I should have listened to myself. As we were leaving, I got stuck on the elevator with about 8 people. They were lucky I did not have a full blown panic attack! Someone tried to call the front desk and a recording came on saying to stay on the line and our call would be answered in the order received ... excuse me? After what seemed like an eternity (we were on there for about 5 minutes), the doors finally opened and everyone piled out not taking the chance again. Someone at the front desk finally picked up the call just as the doors were opening. I would suggest using the stairs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was traveling with my son for a sporting event he was participating in during the first weekend in August. I was a little nervous about booking a hotel with a waterpark since we would not be using it and was concerned there could be noise. I happened to stay on the first floor and was surprised how quiet the room was. The water park is self contained in its own part of the building which was great! The hotel is extremely clean and neat and has one of the best breakfast buffets we have had. I never count on the hotel breakfast since typically it can be very limited and then we have to stop for something on the way to the sporting event. What a nice surprise the entire place was! It is in a secluded area too but easy to get anywhere since it's close to the highway. I really enjoyed this hotel and thought everyone would appreciate this information.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We (Mom, teen, 17 and, pre-teen, 11) picked this location for a long weekend on a Michigan vacation as central for college visits, visiting Grand Rapids and the shores of Lake Michigan. Location is great as it is almost as close to Holland as it is to north Grand Rapids and just off the 131 and 96.
Were disappointed that we had booked a king with sofa bed but when we arrived they only had two queens and we were told that rollaways were not permitted due to fire regulations ( the only hotel of the 7 we stayed in during our vacation that apparently had that rule). They did offer to change the room after the first night, but we all know what a hassle that is....
Room was large and typical Holiday Inn standard... comfortable, fridge/freezer compartment, microwave, flatscreen TV. The shower was brilliant but some of the finishes, especially in the bathroom were shoddy.
Breakfast was standard fare with a reasonably good choice of mostly high fat, high cal nourishment with one hot choice (unchanged over the three days we were there).
The waterpark is a pleasant change from the normal small pool but my 11 year old was bored with the slide after about half an hour and there is no where really to actually swim. Much better suited to families with smaller children as there is a whole area dedicated to young children and the slide experience is best for the 6 - 10 crowd. There are a couple of life guards. Another downside of the waterpark is that it is only open during the day at weekends. On weekdays it does not open until 4pm, although you can use the hot tub and adjacent "pool" bit during the day.

Room Tip: We had room 108. Close to the breakfast room, only a few steps from the waterpark and accessible via...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ada, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We live in the Grand Rapids area. We decided to go to this hotel for the night so our kids could use the water slide and pools. It was great! We have a 3 and 5 year old, and I think we spent about 6 hours in the pool area total. 4 Hours at night and then 2 more hours the next day.
The rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was more than my kids could eat!
The pool area is great for little kids. If you have kids under 10 then it is really fun. My 5 year old was not quite tall enough to ride down the big water slide by himself, but the life gaurd said as long as a parent was at the bottom to catch him he could ride, what a blast for a 5 year old! The kids splash pool was also great for little kids, my 3 year old could play by himself and not have to worry about it being very deep, I think it is like 9".
We will probably stay here again, a great night of fun for right around $100.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express South? Share your experiences!