“Good Korean food. Blah sushi.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #433 of 800 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Michigan
“Good Korean food. Blah sushi.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I'm a big fan of Asian food and know a thing or two about it. Not just occasional sushi eater.

This place has great Korean food. As it's owned by Korean family, and they know their food. Very friendly service. But it won't be fast, as it's only two-person crew. So if that's what you are looking for - go.

Sushi, on the other hand were not great. Somewhat strange tasting. Ginger was plain bad. There are better places for sushi. Like Mikado just down the street.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“slow service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

we are absolutely asian food lovers! So I must try any of those asian places out there - went here twice: horribly slow service during lunch hour ( there was just another table w guests) - one hour for a party of 4??? Now the owner prepares everything by himself and fresh food does take a while... but should be reasonable. Next time visit ..the same! No more for us ...the food was good but nothing special compared to other japanese places - only more expensive with slower service (e.g. compared to Mikado, my fav)

Visited September 2011
Michigan
“We had a nice time.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011 via mobile

The food was great and it is casual dining at its best. However, we were shocked by the bill and the added costs for one additional person without notification. Fabulous fresh sushi.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Branchport, New York
“good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

They offered both Japanese and Korean food. I got the teriyaki tofu which was prepared quickly. There is a sushi bar there. Too bad it's located in a semi dead strip mall.

Visited October 2011
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“best restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

went with my family for dinner and we enjoyed it very much. It is a restaurant owned by a family so it had a comfortable atmosphere and and the service was excellent. For the most part, I enjoyed it because of the quality of the food. The ingredients were fresh and other sushi restaurants I've been to could not compare to the sushi I tasted at Akasaka. It was true to the taste of the real thing. I would highly recommend my friends to try it and I would, of course, love to go again with my family.

• Visited July 2011