“Decent place, poor service, really poor food.” 1 of 5 stars

+1 616-459-2500
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Charley's Crab is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #153 of 802 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fulton
London, England
“Decent place, poor service, really poor food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

4 of us went here for lunch. We were uniformly unimpressed with the food. I had a Butternut Squash soup that tasted ok but was not far from cold. Others had clam chowder that only had taste once a lot of salt and pepper added. Main courses were really bad. My fish encrusted in potato was a truly poor dish - a bad bit of fish topped with a slightly burnt hash brown that tasted of old oil. Ceasers salads again tasteless. Bread was really good!

Service unprofessional. Didn't clear table next to us. Removed our plates by piling then up on our table then lifting them off. Shame as feels like it could be a good place.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

grand rapids, Michigan
“Nice service but food's just eh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I keep wanting the place to be better. The food is just sort of blah. Shrimp pasta dish last night with no real flavor or pizzaz to it. Not bad, just sort of sat there. Good service, pretty spot, but the food's not that great. It used to be better. Garlic bread rolls are nice, but sometimes overpoweringly salty.

Visited December 2012
Ada, MI
“Sunday Buffet is expensive, and worth every penney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I usually eat for less than $25/person for breakfast But for a treat, Charley's Crab's Sunday brunch is fantastic. Solid standard items like carmel french toast, waffles with fruit and syrup, an omlet stand. Good eggs benidict (though they were not very fresh when I got mine.) Also some solid Sunday dinner entrees (I had a curry beef and and roast beef). One of my favorites is unlitted smoked samon with three different smoke/spice mixtures (yum). I had to stay away from the deserts, because I filled myself up on the main dishes, and I didn't even try a quarter of them.
Make a reservation; and ask for a seat OFF the main isle way.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Zeeland, Michigan
“The Sunday Brunch has really fallen”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

In years past, Charley's Crab has had the best Sunday Brunch in GR. But, our most recent experience was shockingly bad. The food was dried out and not very fresh. The Prime Rib was rare to the point of being raw and the server for the prime rib was rude and impatient. The plates at the buffet were soaking wet...not damp...puddled with water. To top it off, the buffet no longer includes ANY drinks whatsoever...not even pop/tea/coffee. I can understand if they wanted to eliminate expensive juices, but the price is still the same...and no pop/coffee/tea???

The one good thing about our experience was our wonderful waiter. He went out of his way to accomodate our son with a milk allergy.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Average Thanksgiving Meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My parents, brother, and myself, had Thanksgiving Brunch at this restaurant. I had the pleasure of speaking to Chef Eric a few days prior, as my dad and brother are diabetic, and I wanted to make sure that there was enough food that they could eat. Eric took 15 minutes out of his busy schedule, to let me know everything that was being served. My dad and brother had plenty to eat. A few issues that happened: Since my parents use walkers, and can't walk long distances, I requested that we be seated as close to the ramp as possible, as if they walk long distances, they become out of breath. This request was not met, as we were seated towards the far back of the restaurant. Requested a server that we know, and that was not met either, although his tables were right behind ours. He kept checking on us, but our server, didn't come back too often to clear plates or offer more coffee. There was no signage on the cold salad area or the dessert buffet, so if you have any dietary concerns, you have to search for someone to ask. The biggest concern was that the chafing dish lids were always kept open, so by the time we got back to our table, the hot food was cold. The food that we had tasted good. The cooks must have gotten salt happy, as the dressing was unable to be eaten, as it was so salty.

• Visited November 2012