“Escalar!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
grand rapids
“Escalar!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been here several times and agree it is amongst the best sushi we've had (in Grand Rapids.) I love the look of the place and the location next to brewery Vivant.
Here's my little story:
The very first time I went here they had a fish I had never tried before so I was super excited to try the Escalar. It was amazing. Really amazing, so buttery and flavorful. I just couldn't believe how good this was. So, I ordered it the next time, and the next time. Then I told my wife, "that's it, the next time we come here I'm ONLY going to order the escalar. It's the best nigiri I've had in ages." I was telling all my friends about this wonderful fish, all my colleagues at work, everyone. Then I decided to see just what this guy looked like that I loved to eat so much. When I Googled ESCALAR all these warnings popped up like; "Ex-Lax fish" "The so called Diarrhea fish" "Banned in some countries"
WTF? As it turns out This delicious little bottom feeder cannot digest the plant resins, fats, and oils so they end up in the meat of the fish causing it to be full of flavor and giving it a buttery texture. We naked apes also cannot digest these same fats. We however do not end up storing them in our flesh. No they end up, well in (or out rather) our ends. Our rear ends. Too much Escalar decidedly causes uncontrollable explosive diarrhea. Google it.
I am SO glad I did not only order a large plate of Escalar the last time I went to Maru sushi and grill. In this case too much of a good this is bad, really stinking bad.
Do however order some, just less than 6 ounces apparently. Also if you have never had Hamachi Kama, you are really missing out. It is a grilled neck of yellowtail. Outstanding.

Visited March 2013

Grand Rapids, MI
“Good Service - Great Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We recently visited this new restaurant in Grand Rapids for a birthday dinner. We were greeted promptly and seated very quickly. Our server introduced himself and asked if anyone had been to the restaurant before. He went on to explain their drink selection and menu for ordering food. All four of us ordered adult beverages. Disappointingly, it took almost 10 minutes for us to receive our drinks. We promptly ordered our appetizer and our dinner. We chose the Crabby Mushrooms ($8) for an appetizer. We chose the Chef's Choice ($50). The Chef's Choice is a combination of different sushi’s chosen by the chef. The mushrooms were very good. Disappointingly, it took 30 minutes for us to receive our dinner. The sushi was excellent, maybe the best I've ever had. However, because of the time it took to get our drinks and dinner we were mostly disappointed. We will go back, but we will keep in mind the amount of time it takes to get served.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Spring Lake, Michigan
“Cute trendy little spot, friendly staff! But the food and wait....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Like I stated, the establishment is very cute and modern and a little cafe like. Staff is friendly, and our server did a good job. However, the food just wasn't good. It wasn't horrible, but compared to other sushi places I frequent, it's just not that great. I tried the sexy bacon roll I've heard people rave about. Meh. I ordered another roll that has cilantro in it, because it sounded awesome, and again, just meh. I tried a piece of my brother's hamachi, which is one of my favorite fish, and it was kind of gross; I don't know if it was lack of freshness or recently unfrozen or what. I don't mean to sound like every other sushi snob who thinks they know all there is to know about sushi, but I don't really get the hype. The neighborhood is nice, this place is located in the middle of yuppieville, so that might be a part of it.

The other issue I had was the wait. It was busy on the Thursday night we went, yes, but it's a small spot, a 50 minute wait for our food was kind of torture. I know, I know, first world problems.

Overall, it's a spot with a nice atmosphere, but not the food isn't good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Great gem with hip experience and good menu, albeit expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

First off, the decor and atmosphere are very welcoming and enjoyable. We had a reservation, and our table was ready when we arrived. The place was very crowded so I recommend reservations.

Service was helpful and thorough although one person had their dinner sent 10 minutes ahead of the rest (party of 6). Seems the sushi chef's do not communicate with the kitchen and coordinate.

The menu presented some nice options, although I was disappointed that there was not a sushi or sashimi appetizer or dinner available. Sashimi and nigiri has to be ordered a la carte, and I found the prices to be a bit extravagant.

There is one way to get sashimi or nigiri, but you must order a $35 option where the chef picks your food, and it seems like way too much food. Why am I forced to order a chef special roll if I want to try some sashimi at a respectable price?

But, considering how crowded the place was, they have found their niche and should do well. Improved communication with the chefs and a tweak to the menu will make this a 5 star.

Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“Never disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Finally! A sushi spot close to my house. It doesn't hurt that it is THE BEST sushi in town. Be sure to try the Crouching Tiger and the Sexy Bacon rolls. Firecracker shrimp and the asparagus rolled in ribeye are outstanding appetizers. Presentation is phenomenal, service is wonderful and the atmosphere is very chic/contemporary. I've been at least 15 times since they opened. Never a disappointment.

• Visited February 2013