“Great gem with hip experience and good menu, albeit expensive” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Tampa, Florida
“Great gem with hip experience and good menu, albeit expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

First off, the decor and atmosphere are very welcoming and enjoyable. We had a reservation, and our table was ready when we arrived. The place was very crowded so I recommend reservations.

Service was helpful and thorough although one person had their dinner sent 10 minutes ahead of the rest (party of 6). Seems the sushi chef's do not communicate with the kitchen and coordinate.

The menu presented some nice options, although I was disappointed that there was not a sushi or sashimi appetizer or dinner available. Sashimi and nigiri has to be ordered a la carte, and I found the prices to be a bit extravagant.

There is one way to get sashimi or nigiri, but you must order a $35 option where the chef picks your food, and it seems like way too much food. Why am I forced to order a chef special roll if I want to try some sashimi at a respectable price?

But, considering how crowded the place was, they have found their niche and should do well. Improved communication with the chefs and a tweak to the menu will make this a 5 star.

Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“Never disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Finally! A sushi spot close to my house. It doesn't hurt that it is THE BEST sushi in town. Be sure to try the Crouching Tiger and the Sexy Bacon rolls. Firecracker shrimp and the asparagus rolled in ribeye are outstanding appetizers. Presentation is phenomenal, service is wonderful and the atmosphere is very chic/contemporary. I've been at least 15 times since they opened. Never a disappointment.

• Visited February 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
“Best Sushi in Grand Rapids, hands down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I have been to just about every sushi joint around Grand Rapids, and Maru is by far our favorite place. The service is top-notch, the location is good, and the sushi is fresh, inspired and absolutely delicious. We have loved everything dish that has been brought out. I recommend ordering a chef's sampler of Nigiri or Sashimi, as well as the Nirvana Roll, the 'Maru'velous Roll (warning, both rolls are very very large), and the Sexy Bacon Roll.

I've found that Maru posts some great happy hour deals on FB... it's definitely worth liking their page.

• Visited January 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Best in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I've waited to review this spot until we had eaten here several times. You just never know with a new restaurant. This place has been consistently amazing. Of the 3 sushi spots in GR we eat at this is definitely the most impressive and upscale. Prices are the highest, too, but you get what you pay for! We've loved every roll we've tried! The HUGE ginger salad is wonderful, the miso is not my favorite, but is my husbands. He eats sashimi and claims it is the freshest in town. I'm more of a saucy, roll girl and their rolls always come with a very impressive presentation. Great when you are taking guests out! We, also, are always tempted by their Facebook specials. At least weekly! Great beer, wine and alcohol menu, too!

• Visited January 2013
Byron Center, Michigan
“Delicious option for non suchi lovers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Went to Maru for lunch with collegues that love suchi even though I don't particularly care for it. The miso soup was great and the chicken teriyaki grill was delicious! Would return again.