“Most authentic Farm-to-Table in GR” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Grand Rapids, MI
“Most authentic Farm-to-Table in GR”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

(I'm a former Trillium Haven Farm CSA member and current Trillium Haven restaurant member) Now that you know my history, here's my experience. I've eaten at the restaurant for summer dinner, fall brunch, and winter dinner. The menu changes seasonally (maybe weekly, with what's available) and always with something for every eater: meat/potatoes, vegan, vegetarian, low fat, 'not-too-spicy', etc. The flatbread has THE BEST crust in the city; quibble about the toppings- the crust is divine; soft, tasty, just the right crunchy. The apps are varied and run the gamut of tastes; the hummus was just OK for me (companions raved), the whitefish pate was super (companions thought not fishy enough)- you get the picture. There are plenty of apps and cheese is well represented. The salads are perfect in any season- lots of greens, great seasonings, varied garnishes. Companion loved the kale caesar- I thought too fishy, but I'm not an anchovy fan. Beet salad great- I've ordered it and loved it each time. Main courses are inventively seasoned with fun side dishes- rabbit with side of ragu. Desserts are a 'usual portion'- probably small compared with the usual chain dessert- but the flavor goes on for days. (Peanut butter pie had companions sighing; the vegan rice pudding didn't have enough raisins for me.) The bar drinks were good- as reported by my companions. Brunch is super- lots of egg dishes as well as vegan offerings; cinnamon buns puffy, sticky, and large. Service has always been consistent and attentive; servers always begin by soliciting feedback for the course of our meal. Prices are higher than chain/non-local food ingredients; you get what you pay for. All in all, this is the authentic Farm-to-Table that grows what they serve and partner with West Michigan farms to provide what's in season. Always worth a visit. Not to everyone's liking, but not everyone likes to pay for local/seasonal fare.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Michigan
“Great fresh local food! Best farm to table restaurant in GR!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Had a reservation at 6pm on a Friday, we got there a few minutes early enough for happy hour prices, which were 1/2 priced salads and other yummy apps and discounts on drinks. If you're on a budget go for happy hour!
We had a full course meal and every step was amazing and delicious. We had wonderful service and not had to wait long between courses. Now lets talk food, the cheese plate for an app was so good, highly recommend. The beet and goat cheese salad was fatanstic and fresh. My husband got the pork entree and I had chicken and biscuits, we literally ate ever single bite on our plate. They are local comfort food with flair, I highly recommend this place!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Excellent Sunday Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We came here for brunch and really enjoyed everything about it. The food was delicious, great decor and atmosphere, and friendly staff. I ordered the bloody mary, which was almost perfect. I like a little more spice to mine. I, also, had the pork belly hash which was amazing! The root vegetables were stir fried to perfection with a hint of maple. The pork belly was seasoned just right and tasted phenomenal. We didn't have to wait in a long line, which is unusual for Sunday brunch around Eastown so that was an added bonus. I definitely recommend eating at Trillium!

• Visited November 2012
Grand Rapi
“disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We've eaten here a few times. We love to support local businesses and especially restaurants serving local food. But though we've tried to like this place, the food has been rather inconsistent. A few things have been good but others really disappointing, which is not acceptable at the prices they charge. The service has been subpar as well. At our last visit, rather than try to accommodate my partner who can't have alcohol by modifying a dish, the server was rigid and treated him rudely, as if he were being completely unreasonable. We won't be going back.

Visited November 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great Food and Great Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

A friend of mine and I met here for dinner on a Friday night. I recommend getting reservations on a weekend night as this place was hopping! The entire place was filled with people! My friend and I were there to catch up as we haven't seen one another in a long time and I was so happy that even with all of the people in the restaurant, we were still able to hear each other easily!
The Trillium Haven is set up so that when you walk in, it feels like a place out of the big city- a mix of sophistication and acceptance.
The staff was friendly and very helpful. Our waitress recommended different dishes all of which were outstanding! She did spill some of my drink on my lap, but made up for it by bringing out a free drink!
The timing of all of our courses was right on and we never had to wait!
It was a great experience with fantastic food!

• Visited November 2012