“Nice hotel overall!” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
“Nice hotel overall!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel last night and the good outweighs the bad definitely. The room was very quiet which is very important to me and very clean. The price was slightly more than I wanted to pay at a comfort suites but overall I think it's a good value. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Plymouth, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Upon our arrival the person who checked us in was nice, but had an extremely wrinkled shirt (like it had been wadded up in the bottom of a drawer some place), and I just thought no one in a customer service position should look like that. It just gave a very bad first impression. My husband who rarely notices these things also made the same comment. We had a room with a king bed. Overall I really wasn't that impresed with our room or the hotel. The rooms weren't very updated and had a bit of a strange ordor, and the bed was very firm. For the $100/night that we had spent on the room, I wished I had chosen another hotel (even if it was a bit higher priced). Plus it was in a more industrial area with no shopping or restaurants at that exit. I cannot comment on the breakfast since we did sleep in. This place was just o.k. but I would try someplace else in the area before I stayed here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

There was a blood stain (appeared fairly fresh) on one of the bedspreads. I requested a clean bed spread and were told there were none available. The other bedspread had other, larger stains of indeterminite origin. I requested that the blood stained bedspread be replaced by the following morning and was assured it would be; it was not. Housekeeping simply tried to spot clean the blood stain. There was hair in the bathtub, and it was not from someone's head. Luckily we had Clorox wipes in our car. I asked to speak with a manager, particularily about the bed, and was told there was not a manager on duty because it was a weekend. The front desk clerk gave me a whopping $4.00 of my room for the privilege of sleeping in a room with a biohazardous bodily fluid on the bed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wyandotte, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I travel a lot on business. This hotel is at the top of my list of places to stay in Grand Rapids. All I need is clean and reasonable rates. This hotel exceeds my expectations at this price point. Staff is friendly and courteous. They have cookies at the front desk. I have stayed in a room next to the elevator and never heard it. Breakfast area is neat, clean and nicely stocked.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet, even next to the elevator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights recently. The staff was very friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good with a nice variety of hot and cold items. There are not restaurants nearby but a great mall with many restaurant options is about 10 minutes awary. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and was happy with the hotel, the room & the staff. We stayed on the top (third) floor and the room was quiet, clean & comfortable. The staff was very friendly & helpful. The breakfast was simple but very adequate!!

Room Tip: The top floor is quiet and not much traffic.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

At 11:00 p.m. with kids and a dog, it took 4 trips up and down to the reception to get a new room. The first room was a disaster and upon opening the door, it looked like a body was sleeping in the bed. The second room's beds were messy. The third room had only one bed. We took the fourth room because at this point it was midnight. The room smelled so bad like men's cologne and the beds were made up so strangely, not like a normal hotel room. The next day the front desk person even accused me of leaving things in the first room when I had only opened the door to see it full of someone's things. She later apologized.

As for Internet, it never worked in the room. The front desk told me I had to call the Internet company for problems and that the hotel was not responsible. I noticed when I checked in there were others asking about the Internet issues as well. So, I would not agree that this hotel offers wifi in the rooms.

In the end, the hotel offered to refund the room costs. I'm still waiting to find out if they actually did. Since they tried to make an effort and the front desk person apologised, I will gave them an average rating. Maybe it was just my bad luck?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites South? Share your experiences!