“Clean rooms and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Des Moines, Iowa
“Clean rooms and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights recently. The staff was very friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good with a nice variety of hot and cold items. There are not restaurants nearby but a great mall with many restaurant options is about 10 minutes awary. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and was happy with the hotel, the room & the staff. We stayed on the top (third) floor and the room was quiet, clean & comfortable. The staff was very friendly & helpful. The breakfast was simple but very adequate!!

Room Tip: The top floor is quiet and not much traffic.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

At 11:00 p.m. with kids and a dog, it took 4 trips up and down to the reception to get a new room. The first room was a disaster and upon opening the door, it looked like a body was sleeping in the bed. The second room's beds were messy. The third room had only one bed. We took the fourth room because at this point it was midnight. The room smelled so bad like men's cologne and the beds were made up so strangely, not like a normal hotel room. The next day the front desk person even accused me of leaving things in the first room when I had only opened the door to see it full of someone's things. She later apologized.

As for Internet, it never worked in the room. The front desk told me I had to call the Internet company for problems and that the hotel was not responsible. I noticed when I checked in there were others asking about the Internet issues as well. So, I would not agree that this hotel offers wifi in the rooms.

In the end, the hotel offered to refund the room costs. I'm still waiting to find out if they actually did. Since they tried to make an effort and the front desk person apologised, I will gave them an average rating. Maybe it was just my bad luck?

Dewey, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Booked room thru Expedia for 3 adult and Pet. Contacted the Hotel after booking to let them know we would be arriving late, my elderly father is disabled & has a broken rib so will need to sleep in a chair also we will have my fathers 5 lb dog. Hotel advised that they have no recliners but we could work out something when we got there for what ever he needed. He would also make a note that we needed a handicapped room close to check in.

Arrived 10:30pm on Friday August 17th, Went to check in and desk clerk had no mention of my call from the previous day. Advised my father was disabled needed a room that was close and handicapped accessible and we'd need extra pillows for him to sleep propped up. He said " we don't have any handicapped rooms and the only extra pillows we have are what's already there is the room." and how close is the room?.. "on the Second floor but the doors are in fours so it'll be about the 2nd set of doors" , Then he had me sign the "Slip" for the pet with permission to charge my credit card $150 for the pet. I told him the internet says "$50" and he said don't worry about it only if there is any damage. and I told him..."No not with that little one"..so we got our key and went to the room.

Long story short, My father was up pretty much all night because there were no extra pillows or anything to prop him up, He wasn't able to shower because the bath tub wasn't accessible for the disabled and It was a really bad night.

In the am, we finally got him in the bed and propped so he could rest comfortably and my sister and I went to the Family reunion and left our father to sleep a bit. We found the housekeeper and asked for a do not disturb sign, she didn't have any...asked if we could just get a change of towels and some more coffee supplies, she didn't have any and Asked if we could get some from the front desk when we got back later that night. She said yes, then we told her don't worry about cleaning, our dad is sleeping. We took the dog with us and came back later in the day to get dear old dad.

Got back to the Comfort Suites in the evening Stopped at the Front Desk and spoke to Dennis. Asked for Towels and coffee for in the am. Told him our room wasn't cleaned but not the fault of housekeeping, it was us because my dad needed to sleep. He said he'd bring some towels, and gave us coffee ( no cups, no condiments nothing). So we go up to our room just shaking our heads. As Soon as we get up to the room, We receive a call from Dennis that said " i needed to come back down stairs there was paper work that I needed to sign from the night before"... so my sister went down and comes back with the "Waiver to charge my Credit Card for the $150 for having a pet" with a message that as soon as we bring this signed paper back down we can have the Towels!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME.....HOLDING THE TOWELS HOSTAGE??

I called him from the room, told him I had signed it last night when we checked in and he said "Who did you give it to "? " I don't know his name, he had red hair, he's your employee how would I know?". He said " Well what did he do with the waiver". I said " I have no idea, why don't you ask him?".. I was appalled. Consequently I didn't sign it again and We didn't get any new towels and my father had to go without bathing for our 2 days stay.

I absolutely felt like a 2nd class citizen and definitely not a guest. I will never stay at a Comfort Suites again. EVER!!!

Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel. I found the bed to be nice and comfortable like always, and the room was nice and clean. There was a large breakfast selection in the morning which was nice as well. The hotel is convenient right off the highway, however there are no places to eat close to the hotel so you need to travel a little bit (about 10min) to get to most of them. Overall a good hotel, I would stay here again for about $65 a night I spent this time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Livonia, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

All you need to know about this place you will know by looking at the photos I've posted of a chair in our room. DISGUSTING! There are two pictures; one taken with flash, one without, both of the same chair. ( I don't know what the "mystery substance" is, but I don't want to think about it too hard.) Also, you can't see it in this picture, but in the corner of the seat is a small, round, brown object. Just nasty!

This is the second room we were in. The first room we were assigned had a HORRIBLE ODOR. It smelled like sweat. Even my kids, who were just happy to be done driving and were looking forward to relaxing, pointed out that the odor was bad and that we should ask for another room. Thankfully we were given one.

I only gave the room two stars because when I showed the manager the photo I took, he agreed with me that it was disgusting. And without me even asking, he contact Choice Hotels and asked them to refund the Choice Privileges points I'd used to pay for this room. For that I am grateful.

We do stay at a lot of hotels in the Choice Hotels chain, and the breakfast at this one was a little lower than average. The "eggs" were definitely not fresh. They must have been from a powdered mix. They were not good at all. The rest was standard fare; muffins, bagels, waffles, apples, juice.

We would NOT stay here again.

Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here as a midway point between Grand Haven and Saugatuck. Around 30 minute drive from each. If you are looking for a hotel with restaurants and shopping right there then this is not it. The clerk did provide a list of nearby eateries but we did not go to any of them. The first room we went to, the comforter was filthy so we switched rooms with no problems. A big issue was that there was not only no air conditioning in the hallways/elevator but it had not been turned on in the room and this was a 90+ degree weekend so it took a long time to cool down. Once it did the room was comfortable. They have a pool which is small but adequate. They have a full breakfast with hot items that they kept well stocked. Rooms have a refrigerator and microwave which should be standard but is not always so that is good. Definitely would recommend if you are not looking to spend a ton.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites South? Share your experiences!