“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids

You added Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3333 28th Street Southeast, Across from Woodland Mall, Grand Rapids, MI 49512   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #35 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
morley, mi
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

The Hotel experience was Great. The Front Desk staff was warm and friendly and very helpful. Our rooms were very nice. We came on a Saturday and it was quite loud but we expected that due to having a pool with a giant water slide. What we didn't expect was having a creepy lifeguard. The male lifeguard was always staring at the bottom of the pool, like he was looking for something. Always staring at you with the "Deer in the headlight look" on his face. Never smiled. Then a young child came down the slide and she was struggling and instead of assisting the child he just stood there with his hand out trying to coax the child to him, a man in the pool ended up coming to the childs aid. That was very disturbing to me. What if the child really I went to the front desk to address the issue, and someone came and spoke with him but he still acted the same after being spoke with. Our over all experience was great but if we come again we will make sure we keep a close eye on any child with us as there as some of there pool staff should not be in this business.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I stayed here for only one night and that was enough for me.
I visited GR quite often and normally I book a hotel using 3rd company website.
Most of the time hotels around this area [28th st near airport] are new and nice!
However, Ramada is not one of them.
From the outside, hotel looks good but inside the building ,,,, old, dark and dirty.
I got a room on a second floor. Bathtub was dirty well even shower curtain was dirty with stain. Blanket had stain on it not even sure whatever that was.
No complimentary breakfast but they do offer manager's special in the evening which is beer/pop and some foods.
Free wifi but it is definitely NOT a high speed internet.
Location is perfect. It's right next to the mall and many restaurants. And this is one of a few pros.

I used to stay at Sleep Inn and I think it's better than here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

For the $ that we paid we could've stayed at a much nicer hotel! The rooms were very musty and smelled of chlorine the entire time. The comforters had holes in them ~ the beds were VERY uncomfortable with "paper"sheets!! I felt like I didn't want to touch anything! There was even hair on the back of the bathroom door! The kids had bunk beds ~ didn't seem like the top bunk sheets had been changed! Pool area was not very clean, including the pool itself! Just think, you can get all this and only pay $130.00!! What a deal :(

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
SuitCamper, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Dear Blessed Beyond Measure,
Thank you for your recent stay and your comments on Trip Advisor. I believe you stayed in a Pool side room. Many of our guests with families enjoy being close to the pool. There is so much to do in our pool area, that being close, just makes it easier with little ones. However, the majority of our rooms are not pool side. There is no excuse for housekeeping issues and are addressed right away. We replace linens regularly and are currently replacing our sheets with a 250 thread count product.
Thank you again for your comments.
Hopewell, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

Let me start by thanking Grace and Larry. Without your help, I would have ended up in the hall overlooking the "water park." Noise, kids, chlorine smell for four nights... not the ideal business situation. After some back and forth, I ended up in a quiet room on the fourth floor. Necessary for one who struggles to sleep in hotels. Thank you for making this happen! I shudder to think what my stay would have been like otherwise.

BUT... I should not have had this problem. I called two days before to request a quiet room. The desk person apparently blew me off. She put no note on the reservation. This same person took my request (Sat. night) for a wakeup call on Sunday morning, and again I did not get what I asked for. What does she do with guest requests? Make them into paper airplanes?

So, I had an okay stay. I can't really comment on rate/value, because my roommate got us a good rate and we split the cost. But, if you're in Grand Rapids on business, you might want to look elsewhere. The computer for guests was out of order and my roommate was never able to access the wi-fi network. Service was spotty. If you want a washcloth, you have to ask for it. Every day. Used coffee mugs left on the table and supplies not replenished. Old and saggy mattresses. A bedside lightbulb burned out and I could not get anyone to replace it. Breakfast starts at 6:30 but at 7 a.m. one day the coffee hadn't even been made.

Most of the desk personnel are helpful and accommodating, so you just have to be persistant. The airport shuttle is reliable, too. I just prefer a stay where I don't have to assert my needs so emphatically. If they could fix these niggling problems, they would be more appealing to business travelers.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

This was our 3rd stay at this hotel and we most likely will not return. We came here because our kids love the waterslide, but that is no longer enough of a benefit to outweigh the negatives.

For starters, we arrived about an hour and a half before the 4:00PM check in time and were promptly told that we couldn't check in before 4:00. Which would be fine but in my experience hotels will usually let you check in a little early if your particular room is ready. The guy at the desk didn't even check and claimed that the computer would not allow him to check us in early. So, we returned at 4:00PM to find a long line of people trying to check in (surprise, surprise). So my sister talked to the new gentleman at the desk and said why not let some people check in early and avoid having this long line. He told her that 20-30 people were allowed to check in early!!! Ha! So why weren't we? Why did the first guy not even check to see if our rooms were ready?

Anyway, we finally got into our room and I would say the quality of the room was comparable to the Motel 6 across 28th street (which is only $39.99 a night, not the $100+ that this place is). The beds were tiny and the blankets were frayed. The sheets were very thin and almost seemed to be made of paper. Overall not a very comfortable place to sleep. Our room was on the second floor facing the pool and the smell of chlorine in our room was overwhelming.

Heading down to the pool we took the stairs because the elevator was pretty slow. There was garbage on the stairway--like a half eaten bagel-ewww that remained there during our entire stay. So I am guessing that either nobody on the hotel staff walks up and down the stairs or the hotel doesn't own a broom.

The pool area is OK. There is a game room that the kids enjoy and there was a Wii set up on a big screen while we were there. It was very crowded the entire time we were there. But in all fairness it was a Friday night during Spring Break.

The pool also has never really looked clean any time we have stayed here. It has always been a little on the green side. I would recommend some "burn out" as from the smell in the air I would say there is plenty of chlorine, but possibly not enough "free chlorine" to clear up the water.

A free breakfast was included with our room. I just had cereal, which was rather stale. My son had sausage and eggs and said the sausage was almost impossible to chew and the eggs were not that great and the toast was stale. They ran out of coffee after I had one cup and it took them over a half hour to have more ready.

One more thing. We were told upon check in that there would be a fee if we used the safe in the room. We indicated we didn't need a safe so don't charge us that fee. We were told that the fee will be on our bill but they will take it off if we tell them upon check out that we didn't use the safe. What??? No big deal, just seemed like a strange way to work it. Why not just charge everyone another $2.00 and make the safe free to use!

So, while this place is cheaper than "waterpark" hotels it really is not a quality place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
kaceyleann
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Well first off everything seems to not work right which is pretty typical of a cheap hotel room but not for this price of this room. The pool was shut down because someone pooped in it. the pool is TINY and there are WAY to many people for the size of the pool plus water slide. The water slide actually goes straight into the regular pool. NO towels when you get out of the pool after they tell you you can't take your own in there. The chlorine is so bad in the pool that my eyes were burning when i got out and only spent 10 minutes in it and didn't put my head under. The breakfast you have to pay almost $4 for and only get toast, bagels ect. nothing worth $4 that's for sure. There are kids and teenagers running around EVERYWHERE although there is supposed to be a curfew it clearly doesn't get enforced. This is the worst hotel experience. I have 3 small kids and stayed at the hotel because of a wedding in G.R. What a terrible experience. I suppose if you are a teenager and wanting to party sure it might be a good place to stay but not if you have a family and want to relax because relaxing just isn't possible at this hotel. what a waist of money. We could've gotten a cheaper room and probably would've been nicer than this.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
SuitCamper, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids, responded to this review, March 18, 2010
Dear Kaceyleann ,
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are always striving to improve and although we had many happy guests that enjoyed their stay, your feedback is extremely important.

We follow the local health codes in regards to our pool and have an automated and manual back up system to ensure our chemicals are balanced safely. We offer a rate with breakfast and without. The Continental Breakfast for only $3.95 can be purchased in a room package for only $15 which is usually a bargain for a family of 4 or 5.

Thanks again for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

GM
Kendallville, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

We used this facility for a Training Meeting. I was planning the meeting from Indiana.
The Sales team was fabulous in getting the arrangements made. We had a mix up on the date of our event and they easily made the necessary changes and our meeting was on as scheduled.

Above and Beyond is exactly what these people can do for you!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Dear CFetrow,
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. Our staff members pride themselves on their service and flexibility. I have forwarded your comments to our sales and catering staff.

Thank you for staying at the Ramada Plaza and again for your feedback.

Larry Chesner

Been to Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!