“Nice hotel and so convenient” 4 of 5 stars

83 Monroe Center St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI   |
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
South Haven, MI
“Nice hotel and so convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

City Flats is described as an “eco-friendly” hotel. My husband and I had stayed at the City Flats Hotel in Holland, Michigan, and the Grand Rapids hotel has the same feel. We went to a concert at Van Andel Arena and picked the hotel for convenience and it did not disappoint! We parked the car in the parking garage and walked everywhere. Very comfortable, great staff and a pleasant surprise was the lobby lounge. We didn’t have much time before the concert so we stopped there. It was happy hour and we had delicious appetizers, tenderloin sliders and a great spinach dip. The breakfast is a nice touch, too.

We had a room with two big windows overlooking the street. I imagine some rooms don’t have as nice a view. The bed was very comfortable. We could only stay for one night but would definitely have enjoyed more time at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

If the very thought of hotel room carpet makes you queasy, you'll love CityFlatsHotel. No carpet in the rooms...or anywhere else for that matter. This hip urban hotel takes the modern ascetic aesthetic to a whole new level. There were towels in the bathroom and linens on the bed, but no softness to be found anywhere else. Very new feeling spaces in an older building lead to some unusual floor plans (my serpentine room had a front hall desk and closet in the bathroom). Lobby bar/lounge looks like a happening place in the evening. No fitness center, if that matters to you.

Room Tip: My room was so unusual that I'm guessing they're all kind of quirky. So good luck!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had a super stay at City Flats and would recommend it to anyone traveling to the area. The staff were helpful and our room was great--modern furnishings and fixtures, eco friendly materials and products, and a bed (and bedding!) that was an absolute dream to sleep on!

On the slightly down side: unfortunate that the cost of parking isn't included, given that the cost of the hotel is not on the low side. The music in the bar at night can be very loud. While it didn't disturb us in our room, it was jarring to walk in from the outside and have music literally blasting. No coffee maker in the room, however, you could get coffee at the desk whenever you wanted it.

Despite these few inconveniences, it was an excellent choice for us and we will absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room looked out on a wall, and we kind of enjoyed the privacy aspect of this while still getting...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear BusinessTraveler04,

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at CityFlatsHotel. We hope that you keep us in mind next time you are traveling on business!

Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is the second time that our group stayed at City Flats in Grand Rapids for Art Prize. We were able to walk everywhere because of it's central location. The rooms are very clean/eco-friendly and unique. We enjoyed this hotel because of it's size as well...smaller than all others in downtown and the staff were very professional and personal in meeting our needs. Great happy hour! The beds are by far the best.

Room Tip: We have stayed in 2 types..both are great. Loved the street side room; although smaller, the openess...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Portage, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Very nice staff, unique room. There are only 28 rooms and each one is unique..all having azposed brick walls and modern accents.

It is like a New York City boutique hotel right in downtown Grand Rapids. From 4-7 they have an amazing happy hour with drink and food deals

Could not be in a better location, either. Right on Monroe just half a block from the At Museum and just a couple blocks from The Van Andel Arena.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Cheri22,

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at CityFlatsHotel! We work very hard to create a unique atmostphere so thank you for noticing!

Please come again soon!

Telluride, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Had a super great stay here at the CityFlats for Artprize 2012. Room was perfect, comfortable to hang out in, VERY comfortable bed. Bathroom barn door fine for close friends, could be a little awkward otherwise.

I like the coffee and the continental breakfast in the morning. Only gripe is y'all need to be a little more aware of is your music selection in the morning. Pandora can be a double edge sword, and whatever station you put on in the morning (every morning) plays exactly what I expect Pandora to play - The Strokes just came on (of course) - also heard that one song that won't stop playing these days - oh yeah that one song too. And WAY too loud for 7 am. I love loud music, don't get me wrong. But not everyone does, and I just don't see why you would barrage your hotel guests with it, at that hour of the morning. Oh god, its Phoenix now. I never want to hear Lisztomania again...but this Pandora station plays nothing but the hits.

Try Pink Martini radio for the morning, or just something a little quieter...and less predictable.

Now for the top slice of bread on this compliment sandwich:

The front desk staff is incredibly kind and helpful. They jump to help at any opportunity and do so with a smile.

Wifi is fast and free. Parking is very close and reasonably priced at $16 per 24 hours, though I was here four days and didn't need my car so I found parking whenever I needed at Barclay and Fulton for free. 5 minute walk, in front of a church.

I definitely recommend CityFlats (and Artprize!) and will stay here when I come back to GR!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Brian W,

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you had a chance to visit Grand Rapids - especially during ArtPrize!

We hope that you come again soon.

Thanks!
Holbrook, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

An unusual boutique hotel. You will notice the designers touch everywhere but some times they go too far in form vs. function. The place is very attractive. They satisfy rule #1... the rooms are immaculate. However, here are some issues:

1. Shower fixtures are not for the technology challenged. Very slick and modern but they took me 15 minutes of fussing to get the water to flow fom the tub spout to the shower head. Could I have called the front desk? Sure. But should I real need to get training to operate the shower? Not really and I am tech savvy.
2. I guess the trend is away from carpets. Not bad in a home. In a hotel it means there is nothing to muffle the noise of people walking in the halls, opening or closing doors and walking on the floor above you... not to mention street noise. Bottom line, it's noisy.
3. Beautiful, crisp and clean bedding. How about providing a regulation length bed? I am not particularly tall but if I stretched my legs out, my toes would be hanging in space! My business partner was in a similar room. He is 6'4. He had to sleep in a fetal position. Would it really have screwed up the aesthetics of the room to have a standard length bed?

Overall, the room is cool but the decor is definetly not warm and inviting. Call me crusty but I prefer a lot less innovation in my sleeping quarters when traveling on business. It impedes the purpose... A place to sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear mitchm11741,

Thank you for staying with us at CityFlats while away on business! We appreciate your honest feedback as it helps us to improve the quality of our hotel and service. If you choose to stay with us again, make sure to request a room with a King size bed for extra space and comfort!

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to contact me directly at 616-796-2105.

Thank you!
CityFlatsHotel

Been to CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!