“Great location for walking downtown” 5 of 5 stars

83 Monroe Center St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI   |
Ranked #8 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Traverse City, Michigan
“Great location for walking downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is the second time that our group stayed at City Flats in Grand Rapids for Art Prize. We were able to walk everywhere because of it's central location. The rooms are very clean/eco-friendly and unique. We enjoyed this hotel because of it's size as well...smaller than all others in downtown and the staff were very professional and personal in meeting our needs. Great happy hour! The beds are by far the best.

Room Tip: We have stayed in 2 types..both are great. Loved the street side room; although smaller, the openess...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Portage, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Very nice staff, unique room. There are only 28 rooms and each one is unique..all having azposed brick walls and modern accents.

It is like a New York City boutique hotel right in downtown Grand Rapids. From 4-7 they have an amazing happy hour with drink and food deals

Could not be in a better location, either. Right on Monroe just half a block from the At Museum and just a couple blocks from The Van Andel Arena.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Cheri22,

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at CityFlatsHotel! We work very hard to create a unique atmostphere so thank you for noticing!

Please come again soon!

Telluride, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Had a super great stay here at the CityFlats for Artprize 2012. Room was perfect, comfortable to hang out in, VERY comfortable bed. Bathroom barn door fine for close friends, could be a little awkward otherwise.

I like the coffee and the continental breakfast in the morning. Only gripe is y'all need to be a little more aware of is your music selection in the morning. Pandora can be a double edge sword, and whatever station you put on in the morning (every morning) plays exactly what I expect Pandora to play - The Strokes just came on (of course) - also heard that one song that won't stop playing these days - oh yeah that one song too. And WAY too loud for 7 am. I love loud music, don't get me wrong. But not everyone does, and I just don't see why you would barrage your hotel guests with it, at that hour of the morning. Oh god, its Phoenix now. I never want to hear Lisztomania again...but this Pandora station plays nothing but the hits.

Try Pink Martini radio for the morning, or just something a little quieter...and less predictable.

Now for the top slice of bread on this compliment sandwich:

The front desk staff is incredibly kind and helpful. They jump to help at any opportunity and do so with a smile.

Wifi is fast and free. Parking is very close and reasonably priced at $16 per 24 hours, though I was here four days and didn't need my car so I found parking whenever I needed at Barclay and Fulton for free. 5 minute walk, in front of a church.

I definitely recommend CityFlats (and Artprize!) and will stay here when I come back to GR!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Brian W,

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you had a chance to visit Grand Rapids - especially during ArtPrize!

We hope that you come again soon.

Thanks!
Holbrook, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

An unusual boutique hotel. You will notice the designers touch everywhere but some times they go too far in form vs. function. The place is very attractive. They satisfy rule #1... the rooms are immaculate. However, here are some issues:

1. Shower fixtures are not for the technology challenged. Very slick and modern but they took me 15 minutes of fussing to get the water to flow fom the tub spout to the shower head. Could I have called the front desk? Sure. But should I real need to get training to operate the shower? Not really and I am tech savvy.
2. I guess the trend is away from carpets. Not bad in a home. In a hotel it means there is nothing to muffle the noise of people walking in the halls, opening or closing doors and walking on the floor above you... not to mention street noise. Bottom line, it's noisy.
3. Beautiful, crisp and clean bedding. How about providing a regulation length bed? I am not particularly tall but if I stretched my legs out, my toes would be hanging in space! My business partner was in a similar room. He is 6'4. He had to sleep in a fetal position. Would it really have screwed up the aesthetics of the room to have a standard length bed?

Overall, the room is cool but the decor is definetly not warm and inviting. Call me crusty but I prefer a lot less innovation in my sleeping quarters when traveling on business. It impedes the purpose... A place to sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear mitchm11741,

Thank you for staying with us at CityFlats while away on business! We appreciate your honest feedback as it helps us to improve the quality of our hotel and service. If you choose to stay with us again, make sure to request a room with a King size bed for extra space and comfort!

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to contact me directly at 616-796-2105.

Thank you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at City Flats because we wanted to try something different than a chain hotel and it definitely delivered. The room was unique and very clean. The lobby and bar were nice as well. The location was amazing! We were able to walk to a ton of bars and restaurants during our stay. Despite being a busy hotel with a bar, it was still very quiet at night. I am very picky about this and usually have a very hard time sleeping at hotels. The only downside was our view. We were not facing towards the street and our room had one small window overlooking the rooftop and an alley. That was pretty disappointing, but overall, we can't complain about our stay! We were traveling without our small children, but I would NOT recommend this hotel for families with young children because of the open room and bathroom.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Cate F,

We are so happy that you had an enjoyable stay here at CityFlatsHotel. It is true that we are in a great location if you plan on enjoying the restaurants and other night life activities in the area. If your travels ever bring you back to Grand Rapids we hope that you choose to stay with us again!

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Front desk staff are very friendly and helpful.

Parking lot is conveniently located.

Our room was absolutely awesome! Very clean, great street view (we requested this after reading other reviews), soft towels, and the MOST COMFORTABLE BED EVER.

Though I didn't hear any of the plumbing noise other people have complained about, we did have a VERY heavy footed person in the room above ours, though it still wasn't anything that really disturbed us.

Continental breakfast could have been better for the price we were charged. I can't complain since whenever I read "continental breakfast" I go in with low expectations. Processed pastries, yogurt and fruit. The coffee was good though, so I was happy.

Room Tip: Request a room with street view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Veronica G,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your honest feedback. We hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grand Rapids. Please consider CityFlatsHotel on your next trip to the west side of the state!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was my second stay in a CityFlats Hotel (the first stay was in Holland, MI). This Grand Rapids hotel has a very urban, hip feel (more hip than I feel, but I did fine).

Check in was very personable. My only "cringe" was how loudly the music was playing in the lobby. It's probably very atmospheric if you're hanging out at the bar (which is right near the check in desk), but it seemed too loud every time we entered or left the building. Luckily, that's in high contrast to the tranquility of the rooms. Each room is different, but each has so much urban/zen ambiance. Both of my CityFlats visits have been with my friend, and we've loved exploring all the room features. We get two beds and appreciate how each feels like it has its own space while still being open to the other. Our room this time had a window that faced another building, but it was surprising that it didn't both us. It still allowed a lot of privacy and added to the character of the room. The beds are WONDERFUL! The bathroom fixtures are very cool. We were both eager to have our turns in the shower (if we were hip, we would have been down at the bar). Breakfast was light but a good start.

The location in Grand Rapids is great. The GRAM (art museum) is within a block's walk. We were there on a Wednesday in July and got to enjoy the free Blues Festival (weekly?) just a block from the hotel. The river walk is only a few blocks' walk. If you're parking overnight, it's a better deal to use the lot recommended by the hotel as the $14 Daily Max posted at most lots isn't for 24 hours, but starts over early each day (our $16 hotel rate would have cost us $23 for less than 24 hours).

Room Tip: If you get a mirror with white square lighting around it, be sure to notice the alien affect it give...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!