“Each Room is Unique and a Treat!” 5 of 5 stars

83 Monroe Center St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI   |
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Each Room is Unique and a Treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was my second stay in a CityFlats Hotel (the first stay was in Holland, MI). This Grand Rapids hotel has a very urban, hip feel (more hip than I feel, but I did fine).

Check in was very personable. My only "cringe" was how loudly the music was playing in the lobby. It's probably very atmospheric if you're hanging out at the bar (which is right near the check in desk), but it seemed too loud every time we entered or left the building. Luckily, that's in high contrast to the tranquility of the rooms. Each room is different, but each has so much urban/zen ambiance. Both of my CityFlats visits have been with my friend, and we've loved exploring all the room features. We get two beds and appreciate how each feels like it has its own space while still being open to the other. Our room this time had a window that faced another building, but it was surprising that it didn't both us. It still allowed a lot of privacy and added to the character of the room. The beds are WONDERFUL! The bathroom fixtures are very cool. We were both eager to have our turns in the shower (if we were hip, we would have been down at the bar). Breakfast was light but a good start.

The location in Grand Rapids is great. The GRAM (art museum) is within a block's walk. We were there on a Wednesday in July and got to enjoy the free Blues Festival (weekly?) just a block from the hotel. The river walk is only a few blocks' walk. If you're parking overnight, it's a better deal to use the lot recommended by the hotel as the $14 Daily Max posted at most lots isn't for 24 hours, but starts over early each day (our $16 hotel rate would have cost us $23 for less than 24 hours).

Room Tip: If you get a mirror with white square lighting around it, be sure to notice the alien affect it give...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Michigan Center, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. I love the philosophy and the eco-friendly attempts that they've made in their design. However, our room was really small & cramped, oddly designed so it was hard to move around (especially since I had a wedding dress to deal with).

All of that I could've dealt with because it was nice enough, and we'd wanted something different from the Marriott & Amway Grand that we've stayed at before.

But it was LOUD. We had loud neighbors that we could here through the walls at 11pm & then when they came back at 2:30am (I did call the desk that time & it seemed to help). Everytime someone on a floor above us flushed a toilet, it sounded like ice cubes were being poured down the walls. It actually startled me awake at night. I put ear plugs in, but could still hear it, although not quite as harshly. We missed breakfast because I was finally able to sleep in the am & it only went until 8:30. Thankfully they gave me some leftover fruit when I asked.

We needed ice & had to take the bucket down to the bar, which was a little weird. There was zero information in the room as far as maps, amenities, restaurants, room service, etc. That was frustrating to me even in a familiar city (but new hotel). I like looking at the welcome packets to get my bearings.

I think most frustrating was that I mentioned this (the noise mostly) to two different front desk associates & other than a quick apology, they made no effort to remedy the situation or offer financial apology. Instead they just told me to email the next time we came & they'd get us a quieter room...something I'd asked for when I made my reservation.

While I want to like this place, I'm not sure I'll be back. It shouldn't take a special email to get a room that doesn't have loud jarring noises built right into it.

Room Tip: They told me to ask for a room with an outside view next time, which would cut down on the noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear ZeBe912,

Thank you for your honest review as your feedback helps us to improve for our future guests.

I would like to sincerely apologize that you did not have a better experience here at CityFlatsHotel. If you would like to discuss the situation further, please feel free to contact me directly at 616-796-2105.

We hope that you give us another chance. You might also want to check out our other location in downtown Holland, Michigan. Being a larger property, the rooms are more spacious. Also, since it's not located in such an urban/downtown city-life environment, you might find it more quaint and peaceful. :)

Katie Madonio
CityFlatsHotel
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Modern. Best bed I've ever experienced. Nice staff. Great little bar with super food.

• Stayed July 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I found my overall expierence to be good here. The bed was very comfortable. The style and decorations of the room were great. The room was very small. Our small window view was of a brick wall. The continental breakfast was coffee and mini muffins. I felt like I didn't get my money worth.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I travel quite a lot and this hotel is one of my favorites!

It is expertly designed and appointed, the rooms are clean, modern and the staff at the hotel is so helpful and kind! I was there almost a week and had a perfect stay!

It also has one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

It is so superior to all the other hotels in the city!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
St Clair Shores
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

If you're after a great view of the city from your window, this isn't your hotel. We walked in the ultra modern room, no carpeting, bamboo? tiles on the floor, and were immediately struck by the brick wall outside the window. It was some kind of shaft. Almost would have been better if they'd put no window in at all. And by the way, looking at the layout of the hotel, there appears to be rooms that do not have any window at all.
Nonetheless, the room was very comfortable. I agree that I could have slept for 24 hours. Very soft sheets and blanket. Four fluffy pillows on the bed, room darkening shade, not hard to love this.
Then we decided to have a drink on the outdoor patio and were pleasantly surprised by the creative drink selection. The "Fresh" cocktail was one of the best mixed drinks I've ever had, so we took a look at the menu. Their 2 for $25 appetizer, entree and dessert special was excellent. Again, the food was the best we had all weekend and we ate at Ruth Cris Steakhouse in the Amway. City Sen inside the hotel beat RC. Small plate concept, but seriously good, and as creative as the drinks.
But for the view and the satellite TV cutting in and out, I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you want a window room, you might want to actually call the hotel for reservations
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Southfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Located in the heart of Grand Rapids this boutique hotel is fresh, ultra-modern and beautiful! The desk staff are friendly and very helpful.
The accomidations very comfortable and quiet. Lighting and plumbing fixtures are new and in good working order. The bedding and mattress are high quality.
Expect to pay near $20 a day to park in a structure behind the place. Saturday street parking is free at all meters EXCEPT on the street in front of the hotel. Sunday all street meter parking is free.

Room Tip: Even rooms near the elevator are good!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to CityFlats Hotel - Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!