“Local Fave” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 802 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Phone: 616-719-1604. New Restaurant. Brew Pub & Belgian Brasserie. Building was previously funeral home and also daycare center. Wonderful food. Fun atmosphere. Waiting for outdoor seating.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Local Fave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Maybe it's because I have friends that work there, but I have yet to experience a negative. I hope I never do. The brews are always satisfying and the food is fun and fresh. If one is visiting Grand Rapids, this venue is a must. We didn't get voted Beer City USA for no reason. ;)

Michigan, Shanghai USA
“2nd vist Very Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Went this Summer with friends and was very impressed. Interesting selections of food and beer and the quality was first rate. I had been raving about it to all of my friends since.

Went again last night with a group of friends from Korea and couldn't have been more disappointed. The beer was still good and the pretzel and cheese appetizer was great. I had a pork knuckle that was $24.00 and just wasn't very good with sauerkraut that was so over salted that I couldn't eat it. And those of you that have been to Vivant before know that their Pomme Frites are really good, we had 3 orders for 5 people and again they were so over salted that they couldn't be eaten. I sent a sample to the kitchen because I was so disappointed, the reply: "That's the way the Belg's prepare them, crap. we enjoyed them last time and they were not over salted like this.

I am someone that likes salty items so it's not as if I'm being overly critical.

I overheard the hostess telling another customer as we left that they had just gotten a new chef, I hope they figure this out soon. I enjoyed it too much to lose it but I'm not going back soon.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Alameda, California
“The only reason I would move to Grand Rapids.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went for a light dinner and drinks with friends. I had the escargot, which was good but not great, and their darkest beer (a stout which I don't recall the name of) which was delicious. My wife loved the Duck Confit Nachos and had a flyte of beer which helped her choose one that she adored.

Our friends split a burger which looked fantastic (and they agreed) and several different ales and beers, all of which they enjoyed.

The best part, to me, was a toss up between the service and dessert. Our server (I never caught his name, but on the reciept I think I read "Buddah") was attentive without being overbearing, made great suggestions, and was congenial without seeming forced or fake at all. I give him a 10/10.

Now to the dessert. Each couple split a chocolate board. If you are a chocolate lover, do not even consider another dessert. My wife actually made what can only be described as sounds of ecstasy as she ate one of the truffles. I loved combining the espresso jelly with the mousse. It was amazing!

The price was reasonable (and even a little cheap) to us, as we live in an area where the cost of living is significantly higher than the GR area.

I am actually looking forward to my next visit with my in-laws! Thank you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Grand Rapids, MI
“Incredible atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was an incredible place to spend an evening. Felt like I was in Europe! The dining was good although I wish there were more vegetarian entrees.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great beer, food, and ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is one of my favorite breweries. I love the long tables that encourage discussion with strangers. There are also private tables if that's your preference. Their truffle fries and burgers are the best I've ever had. Their menu is eclectic and everything I've tried has been a delight. I highly recommend checking it out if you've never been here and visiting often.

• Visited September 2012