“Good times, nice venue!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 26 Attractions in Grand Rapids
Type: Convention Centers, Other
More attraction details
Owner description: The Van Andel Arena is a 10,834-seat multi-purpose arena situated in the Heartside district of Grand Rapids, Michigan. After a $75 million construction effort, the arena opened on October 8, 1996 and since has attracted over five million patrons. It is home to the popular Grand Rapids Griffins ice hockey team, the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.As a concert venue, the Van Andel Arena seats about 12,858 for end-stage shows, and 13,184 for center-stage shows. The arena floor measures 85 by 220 feet (26 × 67 m). The arena features 9,886 permanent seats and 44 luxury suites, with the 16 luxury suites in the upper bowl seating 20, and the lower 24 bowls seating 15, and the others at 18. There are approximately 1,298 retractable seats at Van Andel Arena.
Toronto, Canada
63 attraction reviews
“Good times, nice venue!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I was impressed with the Van Andel Arena. Saw Michael Buble with floor seats about 2/3 away from the stage. Excellent lighting and sound, facilities and the show wasn't half-bad either!

Entrance to the facility was smooth and fast. Areas were divided up to stream people to their seats quite quickly. Food was stadium pricing but the quantity was better than I was expected. Washrooms were clean and the staff were extremely helpful in getting us to our seats quickly and efficiently.

Overall, I was impressed. I would see a concert here again!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Michigan
10 attraction reviews
“MICHAEL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Great venue however the seats are VERY tight! I am a large woman and it was super tight! And it was very hot inside, almost like the ac wasn't working.

Battle Creek, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
“Big Let Down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Took my 85 year old mother to see her idol Michael Buble`. I called the day the tickets went on sale to make sure the venue was accessible for her. The customer service representative ensured me that our seats would be in the ADA section and they would be directly off the elevator. As I planned the trip I investigated the Van Andel website for accessible info. From the site, I gathered the best parking lot for accessible needs was in Lot Area 4. Well the day came for the concert. I found the suggested lot. It happened to be an extremely long walk for a cane wielding 85 year-old. There were no benches along the way, so she was whipped before we even made it to the main entrance. We arrived early to ensure a parking spot, which we were able to find. But when we entered the main entrance, the venue was totally blocked with absolutely no access to restrooms or benches, bad news considering we were two hours early. We finally found an usher to allow use of one simple folding chair, he informed us he may get fired for that! So we waited one hour until they opened the venue. We saw many people being turned away for restroom use, they were being told to walk across the street to The Bob. We also saw a young lady on chemo almost faint in line because of the lack of seating in the area she had to sit on the floor as the crew worked to find her a chair, which never happened. There is only one elevator for guests to use, which is overcrowded. When we got to the ADA section, we had to walk half way around the arena to get to our actual seat. The seats were a mixture of stadium seating and folding chairs. The folding chairs were so uncomfortable. Also, your view is obscured from thick glass. I have been to Van Andel in the past, but having my mother there opened my eyes to see that thus place is not handicap accessible. I would only recommend this venue for able-bodied people. This is not handicap accessible.

Louisville, Kentucky
“Motley Crue's Final Tour kickoff show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We didn't have to wait long to get in. Once in, we wondered around looking at stuff. Got our drinks and took our seats. Even though in the back in lower seating, we had a great view, the sound was great and everyone was so nice.
My only complaints were about the drinks. First SO over priced. I don't drink beer but got a mixed drink. Twice the price half the cup. Okay. I understand that. So hubby and I are both hold a drink in both our hands (who wants to get up for more 5 minutes after they sit down), and we asked if we could have a tall cup to pour our drinks in. We were told no. Like they count cups or something. We walked halfway around and finally found a vendor doing fundraising for diabetes and they gave us a cup. Guess who got the tip?
Over than that we had a fun time. And within walking distance to the Holiday Inn Express Downtown on Pearl St.

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Motley Crue's final tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Service where you were seated! Didn't have to leave your seat for concessions! the venue is only 15 years old so it was in good shape yet.