“I'm sure was nice in the 60's” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Riverfront Hotel Grand Rapids

You added Riverfront Hotel Grand Rapids to your Saves list
Riverfront Hotel Grand Rapids
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Ann Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 (Formerly Radisson Hotel Grand Rapids Riverfront)   |
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #37 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Roswell, Georgia
“I'm sure was nice in the 60's”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I dont think that place has seen a renovation in 40 yrs. Mostly disgruntled, bitter, unhelpful staff that were probably to acerbic to get a job at DMV or post office.
The grounds were unkempt. Definitely on the wrong side of the river, next to some nice chain link fence auto yards.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was the worst hotel! A very unpleasant experience. I walk in the room and the first thing that caught my eye was the bed which looked as though the sheets had not been changed. I checked out the bathroom and the tub was extremely dirty. I looked for a remote for the TV and there was none to be found. Asked housekeeping and they directed me to the front desk. The front desk had maintenance bring a remote to the room and guess what...remote did not work. Asked the front desk again about this and they send two people to the room with two different remotes. They could not get it to work. I finally told them to forget it. Their excuse was "people take them from the rooms." I was in the lounge getting a beer and one bartender thought she smelled something funny in my glass so she asked another to smell it....both had their noses right on top of the glass....one of the bartenders had the sniffles. After they both decided the beer was alright to serve, they brought it to me. I politely asked if they would like someone sniffing their beverage and then giving it to them. The one bartender said..just give him another one. This place is run down and is managed very poorly...even with the owner being on site all of the time. Apparently he has a reserved table in the lounge. The infamous question at the end...how was your stay....Really!!!

Room Tip: Dont Stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Columbus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were vendors for the AQS quilt show. When we checked in it seemed everything was ok. Our room on the freeway side was small. No Refrigerator or microwave. Very basic. The sleep number beds did not work. The next day we come back to our room after a hard day of setting up our booth and our room had not been touched. It was as we left it in the morning. We even left a tip for housekeeping. This is when we found out the check in process was not completed by their employee and they did not show us registered. They had charged my credit card as a no-show. They did work things out and Amber was most helpful in getting this situation worked out. She moved us to a room that was larger on the river side. Much quieter. Their breakfast buffet could use a bit of a change it was just the same day after day.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side are much quieter. The location is good if you don't want to stay downtow...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Riverfront H, Manager at Riverfront Hotel Grand Rapids, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I do apologize for mistake on our end by not getting your room checked-into the system. I am glad we were able to accommodate you after the fact. I hope that you will give us another try the future so we can show you that we are capable and able to get it right the first time. Again, I am so sorry for the hassle but I am glad it made the difference in the end!
South Bend, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel was clean, but the bleach (or something) smell in the room was so strong it gave me a sore throat overnight. It had a sleep number bed...but I couldn't get it to work. There is supposedly room service (and it's reasonably priced)...but nobody answered when I called it. Twice. On a Saturday night, I wanted to go to the restaurant there, but there were no service people to be found (and no bell to ring) though I waited for a good 5 minutes. The location is too far from downtown to be considered a downtown hotel, and yes, it's right on the river, but it didn't offer a compelling view or nature environment. The clientele were almost exclusively older couples, which is fine, but not what I was hoping for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. First I want to greatly apologize for not receiving the service you should have from the restaurant when needing room service. We are here for the customer and I apologize that we did not make ourselves available for you. This issue will be addressed so we can make sure to only improve. I appreciate the feedback and please feel free to contact the management for any future needs.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I'll first start out with saying that this hotel was ok. Rooms were very basic (no microwave or refrigerator), but clean. The bed was great (sleep number beds!). The location was not the greatest. Several panhandlers were seen right outside of the hotel, but it was only a $10 cab ride from the bars downtown. Overall we had a pretty good experience; however, this one thing really drove me crazy. We called the hotel to see what time check in was and they told us 4:00pm. We tried to plan accordantly to get there at check in because we were traveling with our dog and wanted to drop him off at the hotel before meeting up with friends for drinks. When we were on the road we realized we were going to be about 45 minutes to 1/2 hour early. We called to see if our room would be ready a little early to check in and they told us it was, but that it would cost us 1/2 a nights stay to check in early!!!! Really? We ended up getting there 1/2 hour before check in (3:30pm) and, not wanting to pay the ridiculous fee to check in early, had to wait it out until 4:00pm. Even though they told us our room was ready. That whole situation just really annoyed me. Next time I'm in Grand Rapids, I will pay the little bit extra to stay at the Holiday Inn downtown.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I wanted to reach out to let you know that we have gotten rid of the early-check-in fee. As we had noted it was causing too many problems for the guests we are here to serve. We would love if you were able to come back and try again as there will be no problem checking in early at no cost to you!
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Based on the exterior and even the interior, this was probably a great Holiday Inn 30 years ago. Unfortunately, very little has changed. It is still a no-frills room, no microwave and fridge, just an ice bucket.
Times have changed, and as a frequent traveler, I expect at least the basics. This place has none of it. No free breakfast, no microwave or fridge, and no room service after 9pm. I'm sure this type of place appeals to some people but not me!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the west side of the hotel, since they are along U.S. 131, a busy highway.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I will start by saying that I was somewhat duped into staying at this property by an Expedia agent when I asked that they put me at a Hilton Property this is what I got. Things started well the front desk agent was very nice, and gave me a better room than Expedia had reserved for me because I am a business traveler. From there...downhill. Tried to work out in the "state of the art fitness facility" there were 6 very old and tired looking machines, I tried 3 all of which were inoperable. Luckily this place is right on the river so I was able to run outside and enjoy the nice August weather. I got back to the hotel got in the shower which had a nice collection of short curly hairs (that did not match mine) on the bathtub before I was able to get in. This place is old and outdated so the shower head was hitting me at about mid chest-I'm only 6'-so that wasn't comfortable. I dealt with it got out of the shower sat on the bed to put my socks on and the 1st generation Sleep number bed was broken so I sat in a nice deep crevice-this wouldn't have been bad and I probably would have dealt with it, but one side of the bed was stuck on 100 and the other was on 0. The good news for the hotel was that they sent a very nice serviceman right up who was able to fix the issue in less than 30 minutes. At this point I thought I would just order room service and finish a little work. I got a soup and salad the Steak Soup was one of the best hotel foods that I have had in some time...it was super good. With my soup and salad I ordered a beer (Fat Tire) the delivery was prompt but they brought me a warm can of beer and a glass with ice...which sucked. I travel too much so I get to stay in some pretty crappy places; for what Expedia charges for this hotel I would have expected a much better experience.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Riverfront Hotel Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!