“Overpriced and tough as a Bull” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House - Grand Rapids is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 802 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Saginaw, Michigan
“Overpriced and tough as a Bull”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Chop House last night. I ordered the veal chop, and the remaining 3 at the table ordered the Filet. The steak was very good, but small portions for comparable prices at well known steak houses. The veal chop came and it was tough as hide, and I couldn't even cut the meat from the bone. The sinew which formed most of the cut, fought my knife like a gallant bull and won the fight.

The total bill came to over 325 dollars without tip. Overpriced and overrated.

Visited August 2013

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Smokey and average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Was there for a corporate dinner, approximately 20 people. Service from the entrance through leaving is excellent. Had the filet cooked medium. It was cooked well, but somewhat dry and not very flavorful. I'm not a foodie, but I would say it was under seasoned. I had much better a few weeks before at another steak house across the street. My dessert was great, as were the others at the table.

The biggest negative for me is the cigar smell. I noticed it right away walking in, and unfortunately the private group room we were in is downstairs where cigars are smoked in the open.

This is the place if you want overpriced, average food with great service and everyone to go home reeking of smoke.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Peoria, Illinois
“Some Good, Some Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was there with a party of 7 for a business dinner. The evening stated off great with excellent wine selection and good appetizer recommendations from the server. I ordered the venison, and when entrees were served, the waiter told me that the kitchen had overcooked and ruined my venison. I watched my table mates enjoy their entrees for a few minutes until the server brought out my entree - raw. I took a couple of bites from the edges and told the waiter to take the plate. He sensed I wasn't happy and offered any other entree, on the house. Our waiter did an amazing job, but when you charge high prices, there can be no ""oopses."

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
austin . texas
“amazing service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

dover sole and steak was divine. great atmosphere. desserts insanely good. impeccable service. two birthdays being celebrated on either side of us and they seemed to really go all out to make it special.

Visited June 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was an amazing meal with the best service! The Cowboy Steak was done to absolute perfection and you can't top the service from the entire staff. It was pricey but worth every penny.

• Visited July 2013