“Wear Elastic Waistband Pants” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House - Grand Rapids is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 802 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cockeysville Hunt Valley, Maryland
“Wear Elastic Waistband Pants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Used Trip Advisor prior to a business trip to Grand Rapids Michigan and the Chop House was listed as the No. 1 restaurant in town. Made reservations and was looking very forward to my dinner. Well, the meeting ran late and despite a blizzard, we went anyway. OMG! Very few locals weathered the storm, but this place was well worth the risk of life and limb. The menu is provided on a iPad so you can see photos of the food you are about to destroy. I tried the lobster bisque and the romaine salad, both of which were the best I've ever had. Couldn't decide between filet mignon or Austrailian lamb, so the waiter suggested that I get both. What a great idea! I ate so much that if the button came off my pants, I would have been charged with manslaughter. No way was I getting dessert, but was very tempted by the pictures and descriptions. Service was by far the best I've ever experienced at any restaurant. This isn't a LongHorn Steakhouse so expect the bill to be about $100/pp with gratuties. You get what you pay for and the next time I'm in Grand Rapids, I'll be back at The Chop House. But I'll be wearing elastic waistband pants.

• Visited January 2013

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great for special occasions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I went here for our anniversary, and they do have deals for a birthday dinner. The prices are what you should expect for a chop house. The food is excellent, and you do get what you pay for. You just have to be prepared to walk out of there for about $50 per person...easily. It can be worth it!

• Visited August 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“You Get what you Pay For”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Service is impeccable. Portions are gracious and the food is 5 star all the way. Nice wine menu and bar service. Ambiance is the best in Grand Rapids, Better value than Ruth's Chris and far more relaxing experience

Visited October 2012
“Great service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We go about once or twice a year for a treat and it is always exceptional. The steaks are always perfect and my wife usually gets seafood and says the same. Great wine selection and the service is what one would expect. If you like cigars make sure you finish up downstairs where you can also have an after dinner drink and/or desert.

• Visited October 2012
“Great Steak House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our 2nd time to the Chop House - Grand Rapids, but it won't be our last. The Chop House is one of those "special occasion" types of places. The prices are on the higher side, but both the food and service are exceptional.

I had made our reservation through Open Table (www.opentable.com) and added a note that we were planning an early supper prior to going to the theater. When we arrived, our table was ready. Both the hostess and waiter asked when we needed to leave for the theater. They made sure we had plenty of time, but did not make us feel rushed in any way.

A new feature, the menus are all on SmartPads. As you touch a menu item, there is a picture. Pretty cool and very high tech!

We ordered the Calamari and Wedge salad as our first course. Both were excellent. The Calamari were very fresh and fried in a very light breading. The Wedge was crisp, fresh, and dressed very lightly.

My wife had the Salmon, which again she said was excellent. I had the Cowboy Cut (Bone-in Rib Eye). It was done to perfection. We had the spinach as our side. We were too full for dessert, but the coffee was great.

We both took home a "doggie" bag. My wife enjoyed a wonderful Salmon and spinach omelette and I steak and eggs the next morning. No, the dog did not get anything! Oh yea, we don't have a dog!

Back to the Chop House, the service is exceptional. Out waiter was very knowledgeable and very attentive. Water and drinks are kept full and empty plates are cleared quickly.

As I wrote when I started, this was a 2nd visit to the Chop House Grand Rapids, but won't be our last. The location is great for pre-theater dinner as it right across the street from the DeVos Performance Hall. We highly recommend Chop House Grand Rapids for those "Special Occasion" meals!

• Visited December 2012