“Great value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids Airport

You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids Airport to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids Airport
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Chennai (Madras), India
“Great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Excellent service, good breakfast, fabulous cookies available all the time in the lobby. Complimentary breakfast and WIFI. Great for a business traveller. Good size rooms, big tv, very quiet location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rachael L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am always getting great reviews on how friendly the staff is and it makes me so happy that the staff is making all of our guests feel welcome and at home.
We do hope the next time you are in Grand Rapids you will stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was on a business trip in Grand Rapids, MI two weeks ago that required one overnight stay. I was looking for a hotel that had good reviews on TripAdvisor and included a complimentary breakfast - this one fit the bill. I would definitely stay there again.

Here's my review:

Complimentary breakfast – very good. Selection of three or four cold cereals, hot oatmeal, OJ, apple juice, cranberry juice, breads, bagels, scrambled eggs, make-your-own waffles, sausages and plain yogurt with a tray of sliced fruit on the side. Regular and skim milk are available. The breakfast attendant was very pleasant and quickly got me skim milk when I mentioned that the skim milk “fountain” was empty.

Complimentary light dinner – served each night from 5:00 – 7:00. I arrived after 7:00 so missed the dinner and therefore cannot comment on it.

Rooms - nice size (about 12' x 16', plus a 5’ x 6’ “entry” when you walk into the room between the door and the main part of the room), and lit fairly well, although the ceiling fixture is a bit dim. My room included refrig. & microwave.

Hallways - wide and well lit.

Shower - very strong water pressure, excellent shower head nozzle, and water gets comfortably hot. Bathroom is nice size - about 6.5' x 5', including a 2’ wide sink/vanity and excluding the bath/shower.

Towels - good size, fairly thick

Toilet paper and tissues – rather thin and rough – disappointing.

Bathroom amenities – good quality shampoo, conditioner and soap.

Two Queen Size Beds - Very comfortable with clean sheets.

Pillows – comfortable for fluffy pillows (I generally prefer flatter pillows, but these were fine).

Room curtains - kept the room nice and dark in the morning.

Outlets – Only two accessible outlets in the room, 3 of the 4 sockets in the two outlets were taken by lights and the alarm clock. The room needs more outlets to run personal electronic devices.

Computer in main lobby – a relatively old Compaq Presario that runs rather slow – disappointing.

Staff- friendly and helpful.

Workout room- 2 adequate treadmills , an elliptical trainer with way too much resistance – I could not get a smooth gait going on it, and a weight station that needs to be oiled – the movements on it are not smooth. The overhead TV works well. The room was kept at a very cool and comfortable temperature on the hot summer day I was there.

Pool - decent size and looked very clean. There is also a hot tub – I didn’t see what it looked like.

Hotel location – behind a mall – a bit desolate, but appears to be a safe area.

Free Shuttle Van – Reliable to/from airport – you need to call the hotel when you arrive at the airport and then let the front desk know a couple of hours in advance of when you need to go back to the airport. The shuttle van is a bit old – the interior, especially the seats, need to be refurbished.

Liked — Large, clean, comfortable room and hot shower, and friendly staff.

Disliked — lack of easily accessible outlets in room and thin, rough toilet paper.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your detailed review! You definitely high lighted some great things about our hotel! We have heard from quite a few of our guests about the lack of outlet space, so to accommodate those responses we invested in a few power strips that are available by request at the front desk. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to your stay the next time you are in Grand Rapids!
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was a good value for us because we got a really low price by reserving very early. It was less than fifteen minutes to downtown. We were in town for a wedding, and we stayed here both nights cheaper than the downtown hotel that had the block of rooms for the wedding guests--plus we got breakfast that wasn't included downtown. Some of the bad things people have mentioned here were true. Gabby at the front desk was very friendly, but apparently they need more help, because when we tried to check in she was off helping another guest (there was a sign), and I had to wait almost 15 minutes for her to show up. Make sure you get very good directions, because the address isn't even the street the hotel is on. Don't just plug it into your GPS and expect it to get you to the exact spot. Look at the map ahead of time. Once you've been there you will find that going through the shopping center's parking lot is the easiest way to go (which, by the way, has apparently been repaved since some of the people on here mentioned the potholes). The room was quiet, but, and this isn't their fault, we apparently had an elephant stomping in the room over us. Earplugs didn't help, because the room actually vibrated. It happened both nights between 11:00 and 1:30. The whole place was clean, and there were always fresh cookies in the lobby. I think there was coffee too, but since we don't drink it, I'm not sure. I can't understand the few complaints about the breakfast. The guy worked his butt off keeping it filled, and was very friendly. Some people are saying they don't have much of a selection. I'm going to list everything I can remember they had (and I have a terrible memory):

Both days:
3 different juices
2 types milk (and it's actually cold)
oatmeal (hot, not packaged)
muffins

2nd day:
fried potatoes
omelets

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachael L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! You definitely high lighted all the wonderful things that Country Inn has to offer!
Whenever you are in Grand Rapids again, please consider staying with us again!
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were in Grand Rapids for the International Trumpet Guild conference, which was held downtown. We booked the Country Inn and Suites for six nights for half of what it would have cost at the conference hotel, even less if you figure in the free breakfast and free parking. It was an easy 12-minute drive to the convention center. We really enjoyed our stay. The beds were comfy and the hotel was very quiet. As free breakfasts go, it was average, a good but not extensive selection. They always had coffee in the lobby, which was nice. The pool was fine -- the water temp was perfect and there were always clean towels available. Hot tub was hot but didn't bubble. The hotel can be a little hard to find the first time, especially if it's dark. There is a huge Meijer store next door, so if you find the store you have found the hotel. It's also great if you need anything during your stay. The road to the hotel seemed OK to me, a few potholes but nothing to worry about if you are driving a reasonable speed with your eyes open. We would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! One of the perks of our location is definitely that it is close to downtown but does not offer the high downtown rates. The access road to the hotel recently was repaved! It took about a week, but the drive in is so much nicer now.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that the next time you are in Grand Rapids you think of us!
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites near the airport in Grand Rapids on June 9th of this year. In the morning my daughter noticed a bug in the bed with her. My wife tried to catch the bug but ended up crushing it causing blood to soak the sheet. My daughter had a welt on her leg which eventually became infected over the next week. We took the bug to the front desk to inform them about the problem and was told that the manager would call me. She never did. When I called I was told that their people had looked at the room and that there were no bed bugs and that the bug I gave them must have come from another hotel. They refused to compensate us for the experience or even acknowledge that we had the experience. Further, they told me that they were not going to do anything to the room since their person did not find any bugs in it. From what I know you can't really see the eggs and need to treat the whole room regardless of wether or not you find more bugs. My daughters leg has been getting better since she started the antibiotics. I wish I'd taken a picture to put on this site, but I never expected to be this angry about it. I understand that hotels can't help what other people bring in to their rooms and I would never have written this; even if they'd at least apologized for our experience and assured me that they were going to fumagate the room if not the whole floor this would have been a different post (or no post at all).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
countryinngrmi, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
We take claims of bed bugs very seriously. When you reported this incident we closed off the room and had Orkin come out to the hotel that day to inspect the room. He did a full inspection and found no evidence of bed bugs. I have a report proving this.

All of our furniture is brand new, the hotel is kept clean, and I would be happy to address any concern anyone reading this review may have.

You can reach me at (616) 977-0909

Rachael Laubengayer, General Manager
Grand Blanc MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We traveled to the area because we were going to an event in Grandville and even though there were hotels closer, our past experience here made us choose to return. Our room was very clean and quiet even though it was above the front entrance area. We slept in and did not go to breakfast which was special because usually I wake up because I hear door slamming when I stay away from home. We will return when in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your response! I'm glad to hear that you decided to stay with us again! We always love seeing returning guests and look forward to your next stay with us!!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This review is mixed between good and bad. I gave it an Average review due to certain standards I deem important BUT it could have been Very Good and maybe even an Excellent if certain issues are addresed.

The good: Location in Grand Rapids is tucked away but still close enough to everything you could ask for. Breakfast is your usual Country Inn spread so still good. The offer a complimentary food reception at night, the two nights I was there was pasta with meat balls with salad and dinner rolls and then a make your own deli sandwich with chips, both nights also had soda for drinks. The cookies are alwasy fresh as well. I did not use the pool or fitness faclility this time around but saw it would fit my needs. The patio was with two large tables and comfortable chairs was a nice touch as well. The staff is very friendly.

The bad: My room was a handicap room, bathroom had a shower stall for a wheelchair to go into and the shower head leaked and was spraying out of the connector. The room itself was old and worn. The bed sheets had some holes in it and the carpet and walls were in need of repair. The bed was semi comfortable but the feel of the outdated room made it seem uncomfortable. Outlets in the room were minimal so trying to iron anything was difficult. The road to the hotel is in need of major repair. It is in back of a shopping center so the road leading to the hotel was full of large pot holes making it difficult to make an approach without having to bust up my car.

I would not have paid full price for this hotel but Priceline gave me a great deal. I usually stay in Grand Rapids and this is the first time at this hotel and probably the last unless the other rooms are better than the one I had or there are major renovations to rooms and roads.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your response!
I'm glad that you were able to take advantage and enjoyed the extra amenities that we have to offer. Our guests always enjoy the Manager's Reception that we run Monday-Thursday, as it offers that option to stay in and have supper.
We have been working to update our rooms, but as we've been so busy all summer we could only get to a few at a time. We have repainted a majority of the rooms and are replacing all the worn out sheets. We also recently had our parking lot and the entrance road refinished, which is so much easier to drive on and looks nicer too.
We do hope the next time you are in Grand Rapids you will stop in!

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids Airport? Share your experiences!