“I would stay there again....” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #21 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Evansville, Indiana
“I would stay there again....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was a good value for us because we got a really low price by reserving very early. It was less than fifteen minutes to downtown. We were in town for a wedding, and we stayed here both nights cheaper than the downtown hotel that had the block of rooms for the wedding guests--plus we got breakfast that wasn't included downtown. Some of the bad things people have mentioned here were true. Gabby at the front desk was very friendly, but apparently they need more help, because when we tried to check in she was off helping another guest (there was a sign), and I had to wait almost 15 minutes for her to show up. Make sure you get very good directions, because the address isn't even the street the hotel is on. Don't just plug it into your GPS and expect it to get you to the exact spot. Look at the map ahead of time. Once you've been there you will find that going through the shopping center's parking lot is the easiest way to go (which, by the way, has apparently been repaved since some of the people on here mentioned the potholes). The room was quiet, but, and this isn't their fault, we apparently had an elephant stomping in the room over us. Earplugs didn't help, because the room actually vibrated. It happened both nights between 11:00 and 1:30. The whole place was clean, and there were always fresh cookies in the lobby. I think there was coffee too, but since we don't drink it, I'm not sure. I can't understand the few complaints about the breakfast. The guy worked his butt off keeping it filled, and was very friendly. Some people are saying they don't have much of a selection. I'm going to list everything I can remember they had (and I have a terrible memory):

Both days:
3 different juices
2 types milk (and it's actually cold)
oatmeal (hot, not packaged)
muffins

2nd day:
fried potatoes
omelets

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachael L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! You definitely high lighted all the wonderful things that Country Inn has to offer!
Whenever you are in Grand Rapids again, please consider staying with us again!

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were in Grand Rapids for the International Trumpet Guild conference, which was held downtown. We booked the Country Inn and Suites for six nights for half of what it would have cost at the conference hotel, even less if you figure in the free breakfast and free parking. It was an easy 12-minute drive to the convention center. We really enjoyed our stay. The beds were comfy and the hotel was very quiet. As free breakfasts go, it was average, a good but not extensive selection. They always had coffee in the lobby, which was nice. The pool was fine -- the water temp was perfect and there were always clean towels available. Hot tub was hot but didn't bubble. The hotel can be a little hard to find the first time, especially if it's dark. There is a huge Meijer store next door, so if you find the store you have found the hotel. It's also great if you need anything during your stay. The road to the hotel seemed OK to me, a few potholes but nothing to worry about if you are driving a reasonable speed with your eyes open. We would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! One of the perks of our location is definitely that it is close to downtown but does not offer the high downtown rates. The access road to the hotel recently was repaved! It took about a week, but the drive in is so much nicer now.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that the next time you are in Grand Rapids you think of us!
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites near the airport in Grand Rapids on June 9th of this year. In the morning my daughter noticed a bug in the bed with her. My wife tried to catch the bug but ended up crushing it causing blood to soak the sheet. My daughter had a welt on her leg which eventually became infected over the next week. We took the bug to the front desk to inform them about the problem and was told that the manager would call me. She never did. When I called I was told that their people had looked at the room and that there were no bed bugs and that the bug I gave them must have come from another hotel. They refused to compensate us for the experience or even acknowledge that we had the experience. Further, they told me that they were not going to do anything to the room since their person did not find any bugs in it. From what I know you can't really see the eggs and need to treat the whole room regardless of wether or not you find more bugs. My daughters leg has been getting better since she started the antibiotics. I wish I'd taken a picture to put on this site, but I never expected to be this angry about it. I understand that hotels can't help what other people bring in to their rooms and I would never have written this; even if they'd at least apologized for our experience and assured me that they were going to fumagate the room if not the whole floor this would have been a different post (or no post at all).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
countryinngrmi, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
We take claims of bed bugs very seriously. When you reported this incident we closed off the room and had Orkin come out to the hotel that day to inspect the room. He did a full inspection and found no evidence of bed bugs. I have a report proving this.

All of our furniture is brand new, the hotel is kept clean, and I would be happy to address any concern anyone reading this review may have.

You can reach me at (616) 977-0909

Rachael Laubengayer, General Manager
Grand Blanc MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We traveled to the area because we were going to an event in Grandville and even though there were hotels closer, our past experience here made us choose to return. Our room was very clean and quiet even though it was above the front entrance area. We slept in and did not go to breakfast which was special because usually I wake up because I hear door slamming when I stay away from home. We will return when in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachael L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your response! I'm glad to hear that you decided to stay with us again! We always love seeing returning guests and look forward to your next stay with us!!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This review is mixed between good and bad. I gave it an Average review due to certain standards I deem important BUT it could have been Very Good and maybe even an Excellent if certain issues are addresed.

The good: Location in Grand Rapids is tucked away but still close enough to everything you could ask for. Breakfast is your usual Country Inn spread so still good. The offer a complimentary food reception at night, the two nights I was there was pasta with meat balls with salad and dinner rolls and then a make your own deli sandwich with chips, both nights also had soda for drinks. The cookies are alwasy fresh as well. I did not use the pool or fitness faclility this time around but saw it would fit my needs. The patio was with two large tables and comfortable chairs was a nice touch as well. The staff is very friendly.

The bad: My room was a handicap room, bathroom had a shower stall for a wheelchair to go into and the shower head leaked and was spraying out of the connector. The room itself was old and worn. The bed sheets had some holes in it and the carpet and walls were in need of repair. The bed was semi comfortable but the feel of the outdated room made it seem uncomfortable. Outlets in the room were minimal so trying to iron anything was difficult. The road to the hotel is in need of major repair. It is in back of a shopping center so the road leading to the hotel was full of large pot holes making it difficult to make an approach without having to bust up my car.

I would not have paid full price for this hotel but Priceline gave me a great deal. I usually stay in Grand Rapids and this is the first time at this hotel and probably the last unless the other rooms are better than the one I had or there are major renovations to rooms and roads.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your response!
I'm glad that you were able to take advantage and enjoyed the extra amenities that we have to offer. Our guests always enjoy the Manager's Reception that we run Monday-Thursday, as it offers that option to stay in and have supper.
We have been working to update our rooms, but as we've been so busy all summer we could only get to a few at a time. We have repainted a majority of the rooms and are replacing all the worn out sheets. We also recently had our parking lot and the entrance road refinished, which is so much easier to drive on and looks nicer too.
We do hope the next time you are in Grand Rapids you will stop in!
Toledo, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very nice hotel, clean and tidy. Check in was easy, check out was easy. Room was dated, fold up bed was dirty and had blood stains on the mattress, I looked for bed bug signs but did not see any, good thing. King bed was not very comfortable, no outlets to plug in your lap top or cell phones to charge, we had to plug them in in the bathroom, the only outlet by the desk did not work. Thought it might have been on a light switch but it was not. The two big screen T.V's were a very nice touch, but the acoustics in the room made it hard to hear the T.V with out it being loud. Very hard to control the temp in that room, no happy medium. The bathroom was clean at a fast look, but looking closely you can see the counter top for the sink needs to be replaced because it is coming down, no matter how much caulk you put on something, soon enough that band aid needs to be replaced. In the corner of the ceiling in the bathroom you can see where they just painted over the mildew. We were on the 3rd floor, good thing, the window would not lock and the screen was damaged, for it not for the cold weather this weekend we would have wanted the window open, but we would have been unable to because the gap in the screen small birds could have flown in, ( I understand the likely hood of that happening is slim, just giving you and idea of the gap ). They had popcorn in the lobby on the weekends, Kids loved it. Sunday morning breakfast was good, the guy setting it up and replacing the food as it went on was AWESOME, Food selection could have been better, but it was hot a fresh. The pool area was clean and tidy. When people were not in the pool and the water was still, it look like something was floating on the water, like a film. The outside of the hotel looks good, just be very careful driving to it. The road to get to the hotel is littered with car damaging potholes, do not try to drive it at night. Finding the hotel could be easier from the main street as well. For the money I spent, the stay was not worth it.

Room Tip: Sunday breakfast was good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for submitting your review. We certainly apologize for failing to meet and exceed your expectations during your recent stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. Your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations!
lansing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stay at this hotel whenever we are in Grand Rapids.The staff and manager are so pleasant..feels like home!! my parents also love this hotel and stay when they are visiting..the porch is nice and pool and hot tub clean..close to shopping too!! the service is THE BEST!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
countryinngrmi, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear redhead5876,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to see that you, as well as your parents, enjoy your stays at our location. I will personally let the entire staff know to keep up the great work!

Have a great day!

Crissy M.
Front Desk Manager
616-977-0909

Been to Country Inn & Suites Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!