“Finally a decent stay in this part of Grand Rapids” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Beer City Tour!
Ranked #22 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Morro Bay, CA
“Finally a decent stay in this part of Grand Rapids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stay in the Cascade/28th Street area a couple times each year while visiting family. In the past I've had horrible stays at the Courtyard, Crowne Plaza, and even this Hilton, but after reading abou their recent renovation I decided to try the Hilton again. I'm glad I did. We got a fourth floor renovated room and it was nice and very quiet (a problem in the past). Clean, new amenities, updated decor. The only thing that still bugs me, and in my opinion is the difference between a 3 and 4 star hotel, is that the bathrooms are so small you have to practically step over the toilet to get out of the shower. The morning breakfast buffet in Spinnakers is good - above average for hotels. Courteous desk, punctual airport transport, clean and modern (albeit a bit small) gym. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room - I don't think they all are. 4th floor was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Staying here for business. Was told by the front desk before I left for dinner the AC would not kick off with the energy saver motion detector. Room is warm when returning and sleeping. Rm 220. Will not stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here and put on a seminar here. Very nice accommodations for both. Very close to airport with convenient free shuttle. Staff is friendly and helpful. Facility clean, quiet,
Comfortable and businesslike. I'd stay here again or use their banquet facilities again.

• Stayed September 2012
Shakopee, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Rooms are updated and very clean and spacious. I had a nice bench, sofa, and desk. It's always nice to have something besides an uncomfortable chair and bed to sit on to do work. The complimentary airport shuttle was terrific and the hotel is conveniently located near lots of restaurants and shopping. The breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant was good too. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here after getting in late to GRR and not wanting to drive late into night. When booking the hotel, we asked for distressed passenger rates at 9:30PM and they said they could not honor that rate and they could only honor their published rates ($159/nt). At 9:30PM, I would suspect they'd be happy to get anything for the empty rooms instead of turning away a paying customer. I ended up getting a corporate rate, but maybe they should review of the liklihood of selling rooms at 9:30PM and consider discounting rates vs. leaving rooms empty. (It appears the manager on duty at that time was the one making this call...EVEN after I identified myself as a Diamond member)

The hotel is a very average Hilton...nothing special like those you find in major US cities or especially outside the US. It was comfortable and clean and served it's purpose for the night, but didn't wow us beyond that.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I've stayed here 5 times since 2009 and every time I've had a nice stay. Its nice being either Gold or Diamond HHonnor status when you stay here with the benifit of the extra points and free breakfast. This hilton is by means nothing fancy when it comes to a hilton but I would rather stay here then some of the other hotels in the area. I feel that the price is very competative and the breakfast is by far better then the free one you get at other hotels in the area. My rooms have always been clean and the staff has been friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Interesting, reading through some recent reviews that specifically mentioned the room keys not working. My husband and I went through 5 keys each on our 3-night stay. The keys simply quit working... Front desk said they'd send maintenance up but we never saw anyone. Funnily enough, the front desk clerk asked me I'd put my room keys next to my phone or other credit cards. I assured her that I definitely know how to treat magnetic cards. :::eye roll:::

Hubby and I were taking a much-needed nap between noon and 2:00pm, with the "do not disturb" sign on the door. Imagine my irritation to be awakened by a sharp rap on the door and a woman's voice announcing "housekeeping." We ignored her and drifted back off to sleep, only to be awakened by our room phone. It was the head of housekeeping, wondering why we hadn't checked out (this was day two of our three-day stay). Seriously?

The room was clean, but had a typical PTAC unit that provides extremely loud air conditioning. Also, the toilet has a power-assisted flush that would wake the dead!

Onsite restaurant was ok. Public areas are a bit worn, with poorly patched carpet. Bed wasn't up to typical Hilton standards. Ice machine on 3rd floor was broken, with a note to use the one on the first or second floors. The sign disappeared on our second day, but the machine still didn't work. Elevators are slow and creaky...

This is more like an older Hampton than a Hilton.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonGrandRapids, Manager at Hilton Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you expect from Hilton during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues you encountered with your room key. We are working with our maintenance team to ensure this does not continue to happen. I also apologize for the miscommunication from our housekeeping staff regarding your check-out date. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Been to Hilton Grand Rapids Airport? Share your experiences!