“Not woth the cost.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Grand Haven
Madison, WI
“Not woth the cost.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

We stayed at this hotel several years ago but could not remember if it was good or bad. We were hesitant to stay here again due to the two TripAdvisor reviews listed below. Then we read the “Management Response” below and thought since the hotel had been upgraded we would give it a try. I would have to say that the manager grossly exaggerates the “updating” of this hotel. I reserved the room on the Days Inn website and thought we were getting a room with a refrigerator. When we arrived the room reserved for us did not have a refrigerator. The desk clerk offered us another room with a refrigerator for an additional five dollars. The refrigerator had brackets on the top where a microwave used to be attached but it was gone. The bathroom has brass-colored fixtures from the disco era. They are discolored from use and age. There were two updates in the bathroom. There was a new plastic shower head and a new curved shower curtain rod. Unfortunately whoever installed the rod didn’t use strong enough anchors in the walls and the middle of the rod sags a couple of inches lower than both ends. The exhaust vent in the bathroom looks like it has not been brushed or vacuumed in over twenty years. I have attached a picture of the hair-dryer. The picture is worth a thousand words. Needless to say we did not use it. The TV was a big old clunky unit with a sticker stating it was made in March of 2000. I’m not sure how that can be described by the manager as “we have upgraded our TV’s”. The pillows and bedding were in good condition but they were on sagging mattresses. It looks like some of the A/C units have been replaced but I would not call them upgraded. The wood trim around the window was water-stained and warped. As for the breakfast room the seating area may be four times larger than it was but the selection of breakfast items was severely lacking. We stayed in four other hotels during our trip (all cost less than this one) and each of them had make-your-own waffles and other warm breakfast items. The only warm food item at this Days Inn was Eggo type frozen waffles you could toss in a toaster oven. There were a few pastries that looked like something you could buy in bulk at Sam’s Club and a few cereal choices but not much else. Some in our party wanted to swim in the morning before we checked out. When they returned to the room to shower there was no hot water, there was no warm water, there was only cold water! As there was only about 20 cars (and no busses) in the parking lot overnight I have no idea how they ran out of hot water. The last problem was during check-out. The hotel automatically adds $1.50 “Safe Rental” to your room charge. If you tell them you did not use the safe they will deduct it but only if you catch it and ask for it to be removed. Grand Haven is a beautiful town and it really needs a nice hotel.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Paid way too much for what we recieved
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
raleigh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

My family had a comfortable experience. The rooms were clean and fairly comfortable. The upstairs hallways were very hot. The pool was nice and the food at the Damon's was excellent. The only complaint was the continental breakfast. Either the hotel needs to invest in a better setup to meet the number of guests or do away with breakfast. It was a mess.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wyandotte, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2006

Two years ago I would have recommended anyone stay here but a visit a couple of days ago has changed everything. The room upon entry looked acceptable. But as we settled down we started to take notice of some problems such as the A/C unit was dirty and would not work properly. The TV was very old and did not offer all the channels the hotel advertised. The picture on the TV was very bad when channels did come in. Also the hotel does not offer any kid friendly channels. But after a long day at the water park everyone was ready for bed anyway. The beds where horrible very mushy with no firmness what so ever. The pillows were bad as well actually useless. The blankets were old and ragged to say the least. This all made for a rough night sleep. Now my wife and I are not large people I am 168lbs but slept on an angle because of the bed I actually considered sleeping on the floor or go out to our van to sleep, It was that bad.

Well needless to say we did not get a good night sleep we all felt tired in the morning. When we checked out I said that the room needs to be refurbished and the manger said yes it did.

I reserved the room online and took advantage of their prepaid, no cancellation, and no modification price because I was certain we were going. When the manager saw that we booked under this program she said that is why we got the run down room! She also said if I had called she would have told us about the room and recommend we pay more for a better room. I can't believe they even have rooms that they know are bad and still offer them to their customers regardless of price. Anyway she did not even say she was sorry for the incovienence or offer anything for it.

The pool was nice but the free continental breakfast was filthy.

When I visit next time I will stay across the street at the Best Western or a couple of miles away in Holland where there are several nice looking hotels.

I highly recommend you stay somewhere else, I hope this was helpful.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Go across or down the street
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wilsodav, manager at Days Inn Grand Haven, responded to this review, May 30, 2008
Since the fall of 2007 we have updated numerous aspects of the hotel. Among the items we have upgraded are TV’s, pillows, beds and bedding and A/C units. By the end of June we will be done with our new Daybreak breakfast area. This area is going to be four times larger than our old breakfast area and we will have updated tables, chairs, and breakfast serving items. We are also adding additional items to our upgraded rooms.

Been to Days Inn Grand Haven? Share your experiences!