“Terrible food” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Rockford, Michigan
“Terrible food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We dined with Bil Mar this 4th of July looking for somewhere to have a really nice dinner with my wife, was a huge mistake to eat here and the food was way overpriced for the quality. I ordered the surf and turf and my lobster tasted like it had been frozen, but I was charged the price of fresh. The filet was ok, but the sides were terrible. Bland mash potatoes and creamed spinach that was awful! Our wine was good, appetizers ok, and really the only thing good thing about this place is the view. Owners should seriously think about selling this place to someone that actually knows how to run a kitchen, because it could be phenomenal with the right people running it. I'll never eat here again as long as it's under the same management. Stay away!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Howard M, Owner at Bil-mar Restaurant, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
I'm very disappointed to hear you felt that you had such an unimpressive dining experience with us, Tom. Our goal is to serve up the best and freshest catch of the day, and I'm surprised to hear that this did not translate to your Surf n' Turf meal. Further, I'm dismayed to hear you thought our mashed potatoes and creamed spinach were sub par. This is not our standard. Normally everything is cooked to perfection, and perhaps the extra busy holiday weekend threw us off our groove. However, there is no excuse for anything less than delicious, and I'm very sorry we missed the mark for you.

We'd love another chance to prove that we have what it takes to serve up the perfect meal you and your wife were hoping for. I know we have what it takes to impress you!

All the best,

Laura, Ohio
“view only”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

the food was sooo overpriced! And not good! Would not go here again, but all that to say, the view was AMAZING!!! Maybe stop in for a drink next time, eat somewhere else!

• Visited June 2014
Howard M, Owner at Bil-mar Restaurant, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
We want our customer to leave feeling fully satisfied with their dining experience, Janey. While I'm thrilled that you loved our view, and recommend drinks at the bar, it's a shame we missed the mark for you on your meal. Our kitchen uses nothing but the the best ingredients, so I'm sorry you were not able to taste the freshness in your dish. I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to cook you a meal equally as amazing as our view.

Hope to see you again soon,
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Drinks only”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

There are only two reasons to go to the Bil-Mar, the view/location on the beach and drinks. Eating here would be a mistake. The popcorn is Ok. Look...where else can you sit on a deck on the beach and enjoy a cold one unless you own a beach house (which I don't). We visit Grand Haven from Kalamazoo at least 6 times a year and everytime it is for one thing, drinks at the Bil-Mar.

I have lived in Michigan my whole life (57yrs) and have yet to find any place up and down the west coast where you can do this.

By all means go, enjoy the sun, sand and sunset...just grab a bite somewhere else before you go:)

• Visited May 2014
Howard M, Owner at Bil-mar Restaurant, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thanks for the five stars, David, and we're delighted that you're a loyal regular. We do hope you'll decide to give our food another try sometime soon, as we're sure we can impress you. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Best,
Canton, Ohio
“Excellent View of Lake Michigan and Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is always a favorite when we visit Grand Haven. The food is rather expensive, but it is a good experience and definitely worth while. It is a great place to visit for special occasions because it is always memorable!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Howard M, Owner at Bil-mar Restaurant, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
We love being your favorite! Thanks so much for the wonderful review, and for your loyalty. We hope to continue serving you delicious, fresh food with an incredible view for many years to come.

Best,
Grand Haven, Michigan
“HORRIBLE, EXCEPT FOR THE VIEW”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The last time I was here was over a year ago and it was not good. The coffee was lukewarm and they must not have had a microwave to heat it up because after asking them to bring hot coffee 3 or 4 times, it was just as cold as the first time. The service was poor even though it was not busy for lunch and it took forever to get our food. The food was mediocre. The pink upholstered chairs were filthy. Fast forward to this Friday. Since this used to be my favorite restaurant, we thought we'd try it again when some friends were coming from out of town and wanted to see the lake with the ice on it. Big mistake! The first thing I noticed was that the pink upholstered chair are still as stained and filthy as they were a year and a half ago. They have never cleaned them. There were a total of 16 people in the place and it tool over an hour for us to get our food. The food portions were miniscule and looked more like child portions. I ordered the ham and cheese omelet and it looked like it was deep fried. How can you mess this up? IHOP looks like a gourmet restaurant compared to this. Two of us had coffee, which was still not hot. Must be they never fixed that problem either. I asked for cream and sugar and only got sugar, so I had to wait for the cream. By that time the coffee was pretty cold. No, I did not ask for it to be reheated because they haven't solved that issue from 1 1/2 years ago. My husband had to use the restroom during dinner and the toilet was being snaked so he had to use the women's restroom with a guard by the door. They couldn't schedule this before the lunch "crowd" came? We live about a mile from the Bilmar but the next time we want to have lunch overlooking the lake we will get takeout, park at the City Beach and eat in the car. We will no longer recommend the Bilmar and will not be returning.

• Visited March 2014