This is a Grand Haven MUST DO!
Remember folks that this is a small West Michigan town and the fountain is funded by City of Grand Haven taxpayers as well as donations. Grand Haven is NOT Las Vegas so don't expect that type of show. It is very cool to see the boats down the river and see the people walking along the boardwalk before the show begins. Relax you are on vacation!
The musical fountain runs at dusk and goes for about 30 minutes uses lights and music to entertain you, similar to what fireworks would be. It is not an obnoxious over the top event that so many people are used to in today's world. The fountain was created in the 60's when this would have been a much more of spectacular event.
So recent updates (2012) have added higher spray jets and the shows music is now set to more updated tunes which can make it enjoyable as listening to a radio channel that plays HITS from today as well as 70's 80's and 90's.
THE FOUNTAIN COULD BE BETTER IF PEOPLE WOULD DONATE! Since it is totally funded by City of Grand Haven taxpayers and donations it only is to your benefit to drop a buck into a donation box. All the money collected there stays with the fountain.
1. Get there early enough to watch the sunset over the dune and wait a little while for the show to start
1.5. Walk from the Boardwalk after sunset to Waterfront Stadium and by the time you get there the show will start.
2. Do not sit low on the bleachers directly behind the entertainment trailer, you will not see the show. Any seat up high or along the sides is a good a seat.
3. Bring bug spray, after all you are next to a river so bugs like it there.
4. Be quite once the show begins so others around you can enjoy
5. Turn cell phones to vibrate
6. Know that the show is hokey but is part of an experience you can't get many other places and that is kid friendly.
7. Kids under 8 will enjoy the show but may be very tired by show time
8. Food is available around the area but not directly at the site unless you visit during Coast Guard Festival
9. Restrooms are located in the municipal building to the north of the bleachers
I live near Grand Haven and take anyone that comes to visit us to the fountain. As a family we make it an annual event to go even though we know it is hokey, why? because it is tradition and traditions build a strong family.
If you own or manage The Musical Fountain, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.