“An adventure!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Blaney Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Germfask
Blaney Lodge
You added Blaney Lodge to your Saves list
4395 M State Highway M 77, Germfask, MI 49836   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Germfask B&B and Inns
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“An adventure!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We agree that the Lodge is not for everyone, but if you are looking for an adventure and wonderful conversation with the owners, you might love it. We love it! It is not fancy and it is quite old, dating back to the hayday of the old Blaney Park Resort. Formally a logging area, Blaney Park became a very popular resort area during the 30's-60's. I came here as a kid with my family during the 1950's. The Lodge has cabins and rooms to rent for a very reasonable rate.
Lodge owners, Howard and Lorrine, are wonderful hosts with great stories. You don't want to miss Howard's famous oatmeal breakfast and maybe a cup or two of Lorrine's coffee. Blaney Lodge is a great central location to visit many UP area sites...from lighthouses and the Seney Wildlife Reserve, to wineries, a casino and waterfalls. My wife and I try to visit the Lodge every year. It always brings back wonderful memories and makes new ones each time.

Room Tip: Check their online site.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Farmington Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Really a warm and nice place to stay, hosts are very nice and the price is very affordable. I've been there for two years, every time I lived there, I like the historical building, old fashion decorations and story hosts told us, really like a grandpa's house! Recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gladstone, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I agree wholeheartedly with evanbonobo's previous review of the Blaney Lodge. Both the lodge itself and its owners are quirky and have a lot of character, but what some would call quirky, others might see much more negatively. The building is over 100 years old and looks it, both inside and out. I'd describe the decorative scheme as "garage-sale eclectic" and includes every style and era of the past 50+ years. The common areas are cluttered; there is stuff everywhere! The shower in my room (a shared bathroom with the room next door, what they call a suite) barely trickled water, and I have real concerns about the electrical system and its safety. There were a variety of candies on my nightstand, one of which was a Valentine's heart candy and another a chocolate coin with a 2007 date on it (my stay was in Aug. 2012). I rather enjoyed the breakfast oatmeal, but noticed that both cartons of half & half that were put out had expired sell-by dates. Attention to detail is not a strong suit here. Also, this property is very handicapped unfriendly. All the rooms are up a somewhat steep set of stairs, so if you have mobility problems, this isn't the place for you.On the positive side, the rooms (I was there with a friend in the other room of the suite) were clean, bedding was decent, and the mattresses comfortable. And yes, it was cheap! I also enjoyed the pie and ice cream in the evening. I think I would stay there again, but I'm pretty sure my friend would not.
I would sum up the experience as like going to visit your lovable but slightly wacky great-aunt in her big old weird house. Interesting, but as I said, not for everyone!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This bed and breakfast is run by a nice couple, but the lodge is old and a bit run down and so the rooms aren't very big and all the fixtures and amenities are not in tip-top shape. We thought the place was rather clean, though, overall, and it was nice they offered pie to guests every afternoon.

They do have televisions, which is nice, but the more importantly, the breakfast was so-so. They proudly offer their own oatmeal, and a cup of fruit, but everything else is toast, cereal, and other items that you make on your own.

I guess the most important thing to realize, however, is that you are spending only about 40 to 50 dollars for one or two people to sleep and eat. So this is a very large factor to consider. But remember that the quality isn't what you would normally get if you spent twice that or more for a traditional bed and breakfast. The owner is proud to offer a cheaper alternative for people who wish to stay, sleep, eat breakfast, and even have a piece of pie. It's worth it if you are not picky!

Room Tip: The corner room toward the east is good.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Blaney Lodge? Share your experiences!