“Good Northern MI Option” 4 of 5 stars

Last Minute Deals!
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gaylord
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Northern MI Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

A better than average Hampton. Clean. Nice indoor Pool. Convenient to Highway, Shopping and Food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Midland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great staff and a very clean facility. The breakfast was definitely above average for self serve. Rates a little higher.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Elliot Lake, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Bathroom door dragging, closet door binding, heat lamp not working, curtain rod poorly fixed and loose, ice machine broke on 1st floor, etc... I expected a better maintained hotel for this Hampton Inn, what I paid for this room makes it worse. These type of things don't happen overnite, this is a indication of a hotel not able to keep up with maintenance items that come up daily and not dealt with and build in time. Management probably only spends enough on maintenance to fix immediate things rather then a ongoing maintenance plan. Upon check out they asked me if everything was satisfactory and I said no and gave the worker a list of problems, she said she would give it to maintenance, I would think the manager would have been a better choice because maintenance probably is overwhelmed or under skilled. They still billed my credit card full rate, so much for their 100% guarantee. Bet you these items are still not fixed. We stayed at a Holiday in express for 3 nites in Three Rivers and a Quality Inn in Traverse city that trip and both where cheaper and had no problems like the Hampton.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 311
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Stacy Z, Manager at Hampton Inn Gaylord, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, we are sorry for the condition of your guest suite. We are working with our maintenance team to ensure that all issues in both your room and common areas are corrected. We hope we can have another chance to show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about here at our hotel, if your travels bring you back to the area. We stand behind our Satisfaction Guarantee here at Hampton and if you would please contact me directly at 989-731-4000 I would be more than happy to assist you further. Thank you again for your comments.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hampton inn has undergone some renovations, i.e. carpet in hallways and rooms look new, lobby looks updated and nice, mattresses seem to be new. Things that are out of date-- furniture in the rooms look like something from the 80's, the shower walls are very old, the air conditioning units underneath the windows have seen better days, and all of the ceilings are "popcorn" style. Breakfast was good and the area is nice and clean. The only problems I had were as follows: (1) first room I was given had been smoked in and was awful-- front desk promptly changed me to a good room. (2) three hairs about 2 feet long each were on the back wall of the shower. Showed pictures to manager and she comped the room and would see about giving me some points. The only other comment is that do not expect to sleep past 9am, at least from what I experienced, a horde of cleaning people were in the hallways (3 carts of varying types on my floor) banging around and using very loud vacuum cleaners. Even though my sign was up on my door, the house keeper knocked and opened my door-- she wanted to know when I was leaving-- no apology for just coming into my room with the sign up. The only other possible acceptable hotel in the area is a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Harbor Springs, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My favorite aspect of Hampton Inns is the clean duvet covers; having been raised by a mother who brought a can of Lysol on vacation, this small touch eases my mind. When I called the hotel to make my reservation the man who took my call was very patient and pleasant. He informed me how to request a quiet room in the comments section of the reservation form no matter how I make my reservation. The room is perfectly pleasant although not fancy. We have several horse shows to attend this summer and will choose this hotel as our base.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room in the comments or when making your reservation on the phone.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Alpena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I have to go to Gaylord a couple of times a year. I discovered the Hampton Inn by accident. My first stay there, I glanced at their pool & hot tub while waiting to check in. On a whim, I wandered into that area, bent over & swiped a handful of pool water & stopped. ??? I swiped it again... It was nice & warm! Then I went over to the hot tub, did the same, run the paw under the water & swoop back out. Yow, it's a HOT tub! It must be 100 degrees. That's unbelievable.
Why? Because way too often the pools are so cold at most motels that only the kids will venture in. Then the hot tubs are either "ok" or tepid. I've even ventured into some that were COLD.
Last night I was bushed. I wandered into the pool room, & I for one enjoy their ambiance. It surely beats a lot of places. It was really warm & humid. Oh, Oh. But then I disrobed, shucked off the slippers & stepped down into the pool. AAAHHHH bliss! I strolled down to the 5 foot end, TIPPY TIPPY TOE to keep my nose out of the water. wallowed around & then exited to try the hot tub. Oh wow. I parked my aching muscles in the right spot & sat there zoning out. Oh yes, beds clean & comfortable; management was kind enough to get an extension for my CPAP machine to plug in by the head of the bed. I stayed too long in the hot tub, all the other piggies got to the cookies first & they were out. Next time I will correct that misjudgement. Lovely people, Nice breakfast, nice area. Life is Good!

Room Tip: I was at the end near the freeway, parking is closest to those rooms & that exit door. I had a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
WInnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Clean, friendly (in that wonderful and unique mid-weatern American way), predicatable and comfortable. Why would I stay anywhere else?

As I have to drive twice a year between Winnipeg and Toronto, I inevitably end up with two nights in Michigan, and the Hampton Inn in Gaylord works well; fine place, if a touch "staged", but well meaning, and they do the job admirably.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a handicapped bathroom .... a giant and wonderful shower, with no possibility of...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Gaylord? Share your experiences!