“Poor customer service but good room” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Gaylord
Houston, Texas
“Poor customer service but good room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

I was headed to mackinaw but it was etting dark so decided to stay in Gaylord at the holiday inn as I had seen rates under 100. Online from TA. I went in and had t o wait a few minutes as the young girl manning the desk was chatting away to her friend-a non-emplyee I might add. I asked for the best rate and she quoted a rate over 100. I asked for the AAA rate and was told they don't give them in summer. I have stayed at this hotel the summer before and had gotten a AAA rate so I mentioned that I could get a better rate online and she shrugged and said ok. I went out to the car and phoned the holiday inn 800 number and ended up saving about 15 dollars with the AAA discount. Made the reservation and went to eat before checking in. 40 minutes later I went to check in. Same friend was there chatting with desk clerk. Clerk said oh you went on line and I said yes AND got my AAA discount. I was very polite about the whole thing as I believe in good customer relations.but she just had no idea how to be courteous to customers. Room was in a new wing and very nice. Very clean and large. Would stay here again but call holiday inn reservations first. Great customer svc through the 800 number by the way.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We often stay in HI Express on family trips, so I had an expectation based on experience that this HI Express did not live up to. The hotel was fine, no fatal flaws, but seemed to be an old hotel that has had some refurbishment, but not enough. We were in room 108 - beds were OK but sagged in middle. Desk chair was unusable. Room smelled like dirty laundry (and not just my family's!). Like many old hotels, the bathroom lacks an extractor fan, so the bathroom and the entire room become steamy and humid as soon as someone takes a shower. Location is convenient to a good family restaurant option - Ruby Tuesdays just down the road. The breakfast area was big enough to not be cramped. The hotel was fine for a night, and fair for the price, but if I am back in town I will check out other options in the price range.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gaylord, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear ArizonaRock,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I am pleased our convenient location and breakfast area suited you well. It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay due to the condition of the bathroom as well as the room. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

We appreciate your loyalty and we hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Comfy beds, reasonable price, clean and yay - had a fridge and pool! :)
Good pizza delivered from across the street at spicy bob's.

Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel was clean and reasonably priced. We booked the corner jacuzzi room. It had a mini-fridge and was nicely sized. The pool area looked nice, but we did not use it. If you are looking for lodging on the way Up North, this hotel is clean and reasonably priced and very close to the highway. It is also close to a lot of other businesses/restaurants for easy access- Walmart, Bob Evans, Biggby Coffee, etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan Center, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Gaylord around Independence Day 2012. The hotel is very neat and tidy. Granite counter tops and bathroom floor and fine beddings were particularly appreciable. Paid about $100 per night for 2 queen beds, and found it to be excellent value for this hotel.

Negaunee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

Had a good stay. 3rd summer in a row staying at this establishment.

Pros: clean rooms bathrooms, clean sheets, fridge in room, nice pool area. Good breakfast although seemed to have been scaled back a bit from previous years.

Cons: no microwave, poor wifi speed, sauna broke for 3rd year in a row.

• Stayed June 2012
Gaston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

My wife and I chose to stay in this hotel since the rates were a little more affordable than nearer Traverse Bay. The hotel was a little dated, but it was clean, fairly quiet, had a good breakfast, nice indoor pool and hot tub. The hotel said they had fresh baked cookies at the front desk, but they were only available Monday through Thursday. The also show they will deliver a newpaper to your door dail, but I had to go to the lobby to get the USA today and nothing was available on the weekend.

I had asked to see if a 1 Queen/King bed with sofa was available, but the clerk said you could only get the 1 bed option with a whirlpool tub. The room and bathroom was large along with an additional sink with large counter top in the room with large dorm style fridge. Plenty of pillows (8 total) to choose from on the two queen beds. We even had enough space to store our 2 bicycles in the room with plenty of room to pass by on the way to the window.

The hotel staff seemed nice and I would stay there again if the price was adjusted down to match the service, amenities, and facilities.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Gaylord? Share your experiences!