“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Gaylord
Marquette, Michigan
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I read the reviews before booking and I will admit I was nervous but I was on a budget and this fit. We arrived early and was surprised when we were told we could check in early. The hotel is older, but very clean. Staff were very friendly. The room and bathroom were clean. The bed was hard, pillows were soft. We enjoyed the hot tub. There were plenty of clean pool towels and everything looked clean. Overall, I would stay here again! I was not looking for a 5 star hotel. For the price, this hotel was great.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Saginaw, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed here as a group of families because our daughters had a soccer tournament. The pillows on the beds were a joke. They were thin and lumpy. The shower didn't drain and the toilet barely flushed. The fitted sheets wouldn't stay on the bed and there was a large hairball on the floor when we first arrived. There's no elevator, just an enclosed, stuffy stairwell. The pool was cloudy, the ice machine on the first floor was out of order as was the candy machine near the pool. The ice machine on the second floor barely worked. The TV in the room was fuzzy, even when watching local channels. Paint is peeling throughout the hotel, wallpaper is coming off, and there are large holes in the carpet in the upstairs hallway. The pool area was dim and hot tub was barely hot. The door to our room wouldn't close unless we pulled hard. They offer breakfast which is a few selections of cereal, frozen waffles, English muffins, and bread you can put in a broken toaster. They had oatmeal in a crock pot that was cold. The staff in the breakfast area was cordial, as was the lady at the front desk who gave my young son change. The staff walking through the hotel was rude and abrupt. I realize having a hotel full of kids is hard to manage, but their approach towards us and our children was unnecessary. We overheard the staff talking amongst themselves about the mess our group left in the pool area when we did, in fact, pick up and throw our trash away.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Freeport, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Front desk staff was friendly, bathroom was clean and pool and hot tub were operational but showing signs of age. The following things disappointed us: the shower did not drain as you showered and the water ran hot and cold, there were no towels at the pool (had to ask twice to get more), the bed was old and hard, breakfast had hard boiled eggs, cereal and waffles and English muffins that needed to be toasted - with only 2 toasters for the whole hotel and you had to go to front desk to get a pass for breakfast and/or a key for the fitness room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Saginaw, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

There was no microwave or refridgerator. No vent in bathroom. Burnt out light. Shower did not work. I did not report shower until I was checking out. I didn't want maintenance banging around in my room. I value my privacy. If they had a fitness center, I couldn't find it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

Stayed here for business and brought along my husband and 2 yr old. Excellent hotel for kids. They have an atrium area around the pool where the kids are run off all their extra energy. The pool is really great for little kids since the shallow end starts out at about 1 foot deep. The hot tub was WAY too hot to even get into. This is an old Holiday Inn and it still has a lot of the 1970's feel to it. The free continential breakfast is below average. The staff is not accommodating. We stayed for a week (the hotel was less than 30% full) and they would only allow us a late check out time of noon. Give me a break, they could have let us check out in the evening and had the maids clean the room the next day - I'm sure our room was not going to be rented out anytime soon. We needed to return the next week. I called to reserve a room and ask for an early check in and they would not grant it - they said it was policy. Based upon the past week, I knew they had tons of rooms available and could have easily given us an early check in time. So because of that we stayed at the hotel around the corner who did grant us an early check in. The only reason I would return to this hotel is because of the pool and how much my son loved it. For the price, you can get a much newer hotel with better amenities.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
port huron, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I stayed at the alpine with friends to snow mobile and had a really great time. The trails were really close to the hotel and I mostly liked the indoor pool and hot tub. The continental breakfast was good and the people at the bar were friendly.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Ishpeming, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Can't beat the price and location of this hotel. My kids loved the pool area. Staff went out of their way to be helpfull. This would be a great hotel for hockey trips or other groups with children.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Alpine Lodge? Share your experiences!