“NEVER EVER AGAIN FROM A LOCAL!” 1 of 5 stars

Alpine Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   833 West Main Street, Gaylord, MI 49735   |
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Gaylord
Gaylord, Michigan
“NEVER EVER AGAIN FROM A LOCAL!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My family and two others have stayed here from time to time over the past four years, including military friends, always as a family group for weekend relaxing, not a drink fest as this place promotes.
Our most recent and LAST stay was recent. We had two rooms, each outdated, smelled like chlorine very bad! Our lamp shade fell off while eatting dinner from the bar (only good thing), After looking, it hung by a thread! The heater did not work, all the kids cought colds. No monitoring of the pool by hotel staff, people drinking ruled that area, no place for children! The pool was bone cold and hot tub was dirty!
When we called the front desk to explain that we just didn't like our stay and why, They didn't care! The front desk staff was rude and inturpted me while I was explaining our troubles. At the end of my conversation, you would think some sort of correction...NONE!
As MOST people do not know, in off season, these rooms go for 60.00, not twice the amount. They even stopped taking Military Discounts!!
As a result, we have informed all the people we use to bring to enjoy fun with our kids to ANOTHER hotel in town and pay slightly more with far far better service with staff that actually ask if we need anything, everytime we come into view. Something this hotel has NEVER DID! Oh by the way Alpine Lodge, we know the "bad rooms" that you never fix but sell anyway, thanks for giving us those great rooms!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
generalmanager98, General Manager at Alpine Lodge, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Although we are an older hotel, we take pride in keeping our rooms and public areas, especially our large and very popular atrium area, as clean and comfortable as possible..We understand that we are not perfect and sometimes we "drop the ball" but our staff does care. We would like to fulfill everyones expectations but the reality is that we do not always do so. Our goal is to try our best, make our staff aware that we occasionally fall short of our guests' expectations, and understand that criticisms such as these can be useful training tools in helping to provide future guests with an enjoyable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have never im my lifetime been treated with such disrespect from the staff at this hotel from the front desk person to the maintance person. And the room when i walked in to my room it had a broken wall the drywall was pushed right in the towels in the room were half shreaded and the toilet was cracked, really i spent money to stay in a craphole. They were even nastier to my children than they were me and when i brought it up to the front desk she chuckled it off....really..I swallowed hard and stayed per the kids wanted to stay in the pool. Well at 9am the pool opens right the hot tub is cold but my son got in anyways then jumps out screaming there are floating cigerettes in there...wow ... so much for clean,,and the tile around the pool are covered by pink foam board instead of being replaced. LIKE i said what a craphole!!!! i was so discusted. never again will i stay in this under maintained slum hole.

Room Tip: none i wouldnt ever ever stay here again if i could upload my pictures from my phone i would show ju...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!! I have never been treated with such disrespect in my whole life. Obviously this hotel does not want any business from guests traveling with children. There are plenty of other quality hotels in the area whom actually appreciate your business, please stay elsewhere.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Ann Arbor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I chose this hotel, based on AAA review - so sorry!!!!! There are many more hotels in the Gaylord area (then what is in our AAA manual) and I am sure that any of them would have been in better repair than the Alpine Lodge.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Such a sweet hotel. Indoor pool in surrounded by interior rooms (stay away if you are not travling with kids-but great option if you have children traveling with you). Beautiful Steinway grand graces the foyer, decent bar (w/dance floor) attached, interior and exterior access to some rooms. Shower was incredibly hot most days (3 day stay). Hot, creamy, homemade oatmeal served at the breakfast - little odd to have someone taking your room # and name at breakfast though. Nice fitness center also.
Hotel is extremely conveniently located next to I75, however, we vary rarely heard traffic noise. Also near Walmart, Meijers, Glens, small town shopping, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the pool area if you are not traveling with children.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We were concerned by the reviews we read on here, but many hotels in the area were booked. To our great suprise, this hotel was perfectly fine. It has a huge atrium with an indoor pool, and tables and chairs. Our room was a king, nonsmoking which was clean and well furnished. It is not a new hotel, so there are a few worn spots - but new isn't everything. All staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. This hotel is perfectly fine. Don't pass it up based on the naysayer reviews.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Peoria, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Don't waste your time! Would never stay here again! Have used Priceline many times in the past and never ended up with a bad hotel, especially for the money. This hotel was incredibly overpriced for an old, worn out hotel that was in need of much repair and updating. Just to compare, I stayed at a beautiful Residence Inn in a nice part of St Louis a week ago and got it for $50 on Priceline. This hotel was $70 on Priceline (which I found that people walking in without a reservation were only paying $89) and wasn't worth $30. Horrible room, the only thing that kept me from leaving (other than it being late and we were all tired) was the bathroom and beds looked clean. Clean linens and tub, sink, etc. The beds were very hard and horrible to sleep on and neither my wife or I got much sleep. Ceiling and walls had areas that were peeling off and needed serious help. Did not swim in the pool, although the pool atrium area did not look too bad. Whirlpool felt lukewarm though. Did not eat the breakfast due to the condition of the room, went up to Bob Evan's instead.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Alpine Lodge? Share your experiences!