“Neat-o atmosphere in a soon to be a former shot and beer town” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: connected to www.oldspudwarehouse.com
Beverly Hills, Michigan
“Neat-o atmosphere in a soon to be a former shot and beer town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is the kind of restaurant and bar that gives hope to the future of Gaylord. If you know Gaylord, this is not the kind of place you would anticipate being here - it would fit perfectly in a town like Birmingham, MI. I applaud the owners, who also own Spud Warehouse, the adjoining funky, eclectic home furnishings store, for recognizing that "if you build it, they will come". Bearded Dogg seamlesses picks up Spud's style, and does so in unique, modern comfort. Bartenders and wait staff are friendly and hard working, and the patrons seem to be a step above your average tourists. The people we've met are educated, funny, engaging, from all walks of life. Average ages seem to be late 20's to 60's. Not especially ideal for families with small children, although I've been there with both friends and family on many occasions separately. With kids in tow, it's wholesome enough - just a tad expensive to feed them a signature ravioli dish or creme brulee (which is delicious). Don't avoid it if you've got kids, just realize it would be considered a "treat" for them. My one suggestion would be for the bartenders to be a little more attentive to patrons at the bar itself throughout their stay, such as a quicker service on the initial drink and refills. Bar staff have to tag team bar patrons a bit too much as they rotate in and out of the bar doing food/drink prep and waiting duties, and this does detract slightly from the ambiance that's already around you. In my view, a place like this needs a dedicated bartender when patrons are at the bar. The food is prepped well, and while menu choices are somewhat limited, it's a smaller place to begin with, yet the creativity shown in their menu and presentation, as well as their decor and overall atmosphere is very worthwhile. You get what you pay for, and while a bit pricier than nearby locales, you're not eating Sysco and GFS. The food is genuinely delicious overall. Restaurants are a tough business, but if they keep their eye on the ball and strive for constant improvement, fresh ingredients, etc. they will become a favorite of the town and inspire more great concept restaurants in the area. That would be awesome - as Gaylord is a great area that is poised for a more equal footing with the likes of Boyne, Charlevoix, TC and Harbor Springs.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Mississauga
“Michigan Summer golf vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

After one disappointing meal in Gaylord, we stopped for a nightcap at the Bearded Dogg and really enjoyed the bar atmosphere and the friendly bartenders. We resolved to come back for dinner the next night. We weren't disappointed - dinner was amazing! We started off with an innovative cocktail and local beer - very nice indeed. Then, I had a seafood pasta that was just excellent, and my dinner partner had an amazing burger. We loved the atmosphere in the restaurant, and the staff were all so friendly. Love the Bearded Dogg!

Visited August 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Odd but compelling”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

If you like unique, you are in luck. If you don't like quirky,keep moving. I stopped by earlier to ask if they would reserve a place for my wife and I and the lady said they don't take reservations but wouldn't really need them. I hate no reservation restaurants, this "call ahead crap burns me", but the place looked exotic so we went about 7:15 that night.
Of course the place was packed, the only way they could seat us was in a strange bar area where the cooks were chirping away close by. Bad start, but being a soup and half sandwitch guy, I was in luck. You can order a HAMBURGER half-sandwitch with a soup or salad! One of the best open face cheesburgers ever with tomato basil soup that was just perfect. Our bartender was the waiter, he was trying but forgot to ask what kind of cheese and never did ask how we wanted it cooked.
Listen, if the food is good enough and the price is reasonable and you don't wait foreaver, I'll put up with some of the other stuff. There are plenty of restaurants close by so if it's too crowded, just walk a block over to anothere place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Angeles, Washington
“High-Quality Ingredients, Expertly Prepared and Presented!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We decided to visit the Bearded Dogg for lunch on Saturday. We had eaten here before, and always had good experiences. Our last visit was probably over a year ago. I have not previously reviewed this restaurant.

I ordered the glazed salmon with mixed vegetables and mashed sweet potatoes. We had good service on the outdoor patio during our brief wait. When my plate arrived, I was immediately impressed with the presentation...many textures and colors. This meal was plated with pride! The sweet potatoes were very nicely seasoned. I had carrots, brocolli, green beans, squash, and asparagus served to me. Some were grilled, others steamed. All were crispy and lightly seasoned, not overpowered. My fish, like the remainder of the plate, was delightful. It was a nice size filet, properly cleaned. It was cooked to PERFECTION. The thick and thin portions were as consistent as possible. It was very moist and flavorful. It was covered in, I believe, a honey-maple glaze. There was some goat cheese on top as well.

This was a fantastic plate, with many different flavors and textures going on. Without a doubt a home-run by the chef. We will certainly return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Food is good but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Actually the risotto is my favorite anywhere.

The problem is the service is average at best. On our last visit you could actually hear the chef's in the kitchen mocking diners for asking if something is good. They seem to be quite arrogant.

We also were made to feel very uncomfortable bringing children there. This clearly isn't a family place. They don't have a kids menu or high chairs. If that's the way it is fine, they obviously have that right. I just question how you survive in a small town like Gaylord without offering service to family's. I guess time will tell.

I hope that people come for the food, but come back for the service. Sure your risotto is awesome, but I won't sacrifice my dignity to eat it. Treat your diners with respect.

• Visited July 2013