“Wonderfully elegant, yet casual” 5 of 5 stars

501 S. Main Street, Frankenmuth, MI 48734   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Flint, MI
“Wonderfully elegant, yet casual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

This hotel is a real treat. First of all, it's lovely. The entrance grounds are well manicured, and the lobby is handsome, with a nice view of the river. The place sparkles, and you can tell these people really love their little hotel. The staff also sparkles. They are friendly, efficient, and very knowledgeable about the area. GREAT people.

The rooms are large and well appointed, and extremely clean. Nice touches include updated amenities like a mini fridge, microwave and wireless access. Even our street view room was nice, looking out over the quaint little German like village, since all the rooms have balconies. (As an aside, I hope this hotel lobbies for lower speed limits on their main thoroughfare -- cars go through too fast and that's not very tourist-friendly.) This was a great spot for people watching, as many walkers and shoppers wander by.

The hotel offers great amenities like a cocktail social hour and a complimentary breakfast. Though I missed both, these are people you would like to socialize with; most the other guests I observed seemed pretty young and hip, at least compared to the average Frankenmuth tour bus.

The hotel's polka theme (and the reason for its name) is very nicely done, tasteful and interesting. I think they should run a little Marv Herzog footage on their in-hotel channel.

It was a little expensive for mid-Michigan, but I look forward to going back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

We stayed there for a weekend to celebrate our anniversary. We were in room 311. The room was not ready when we arrived but we were there a couple hours before the official check-in time so my husband went off to play golf and I went online with my laptop. The desk clerk brought the keys to me when the room was ready. The room was very clean. We got a whirlpool room which I don't think was worth the extra cost. It took an awfully long time to fill the tub to the point where I could turn on the jets. The snacks in the evening are very nice. The coupons say wine or beer but they are also good for soft drinks and you need them to get your beverage. They give you two per night per person which is adequate. The drinks and snacks are available from 5 to 8. I don't think they replenish items as the later the evening became the less availability there was. There was popcorn, chips and salsa, pretzels, a snack mix, veggies and dip. The breakfast is nice. They have quite a variety. They have scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, french toast. You can also make your own waffle. They also have muffins and bread. There is a toaster and microwave in addition to the wafflemaker. The hot water wasn't working when we were there but an employee got me some for my tea. The second day the hot water was working but it was not very hot. My one complaint came on the second day we were there. My husband went golfing and I stayed in the room on my laptop. I wanted to leave to let housekeeping clean the room so I took a walk for awhile. I saw that she was on the floor at the time. When I came back she hadn't done the room yet so I figured I'd just wait until my husband got back and we could leave to allow her to make up the room. He got back at 2:30. Just before he got back there was a card that had been placed under the door saying they would not be making up our room since I had the "do not disturb" sign out. My husband called the front desk and was told that housekeeping was gone and no one would do it. They would bring us some clean towels. I called the front desk and told them that I was upset that no one would be making up our room so she said someone would come up and do it. So we left the room for awhile and went to the outlet mall. When we got back the room still wasn't done so my husband called the front desk and was told that they thought we only needed towels and thought we'd be there. He told her we were going out to dinner and she said it would be done. When we went out the woman at the desk stopped us and told us she would be up there herself and do it. It seems this place does not have many employees. When we got back the bed was nicely made (much better than the first night) and we had fresh towels. I have to give them credit for fixing the problem. Instead of putting a note under your door saying that they aren't making up your room they should give you a note saying if you don't contact them by a certain time they will be unable to make up the room. Or call. Something. I've never been in a place where that was a problem before. I know someone else wrote about the large space under the doors. I noticed that myself and could see people walking by. It was unusual. It is kind of interesting here to read about the life of Marv Herzog. Our room was dedicated to 1950 which was the year Teresa (his wife) was born. I wanted to know more so I saw some books in the lobby. There is a book that shows all the information about each year of Marv's life that is remembered in each of the rooms. I wanted to see if Marv had a previous wife as he had children that were nearly as old as Teresa. There was a brief mention of her and the fact that she divorced Marv and took three of the children to Arkansas. I think there is not much mention of his first wife as these were written by his second wife, Teresa. I found that amusing and found all the information about Marv and his life very interesting. So if you stay at this place be sure to check that out.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Whitmore Lake, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

This place is amazing! I hate to post here because I don't want people to stay here and steal my gem. Free Breakfast, Free Beer at night you can't go wrong. We even honeymooned here after we got engaged here as well. This is an overall amazing place. Great views of the river. Never crowded

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Chester, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

Stayed overnight midweek. Everything was terrific. This was our first visit to this hotel but we will return. Clean room, helpful and friendly staff. Enjoyable round of golf at the Fortress - very well maintained course.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Norton Shores, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Marv Herzog Hotel with another couple as a get-away from our busy schedules. We selected this hotel because of the high ratings it received on tripadvisor. What a wonderful choice!
Upon arriving, we discovered that we had been up-graded to a whirl pool room since they could not put us on the third floor as requested. The four of us completed our check-in with a very pleasant and helpful receptionist. After freshening up in our rooms, we went to the snack/drink night. What a relaxing evening before dinner with drinks around the fireplace! After a nice but loud dinner at Tiffany's, we came back to the peace and quiet of a lovely room. We were thankful for the free internet provided, too. The balcony on the river was beautiful in the evening. Our beds were so relaxing that our friends said it was the first night in months they had been able to sleep an entire night wihout waking up. The next morning provided a great hot breakfast buffet before heading out to a day of shopping. We had a wonderful time! Also, I had read earler that someone mentioned there wasn't any parking provided. The Marv Herzog Hotel provideds underground covered parking so you do not have to walk totally outside to your car. You must use your room key to re-enter. The staff was so friendly and helpful! We have already recommended this hotel to other friends that will be booking in the fall. Great get-away for adults. I would recommend this to those that travel without children and want peace and quiet. Book a third-floor, river-side room. You won't regret it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
avg1973
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

Everything was perfect. Convienently placed in town. Great breakfast - and it's included in the room price. We'd definately stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

I recently stayed at the Marv Herzog Hotel for two nights during February. The rooms were very clean and the beds very comfortable. I stayed in a room on the (river) side. The view was nice and the balcony had 2 chairs to sit in. The staff was very nice, especially a lady named Mary, who worked the evening shift. She was always accomodating...such as lighting the lobby fire...if you wanted to sit by it, bringing drinks, etc.

You are given two tickets for drinks (either beer, wine or pop) for each night you stay there. The evening snacks consisted only of a pretzel type snack mix and chips/salsa.

The breakfast worked like this - you are given a sheet to circle the selections of what you want for breakfast. You turn it in to the front desk by 11 pm with the time you want to eat in the morning written on it. In the morning you go down to a table with your room number on it and a lady brings your tray. It was kind of weird. It's not like a continental breakfast where you go to a bar and pick anything you want. The options that were offered for breakfast were - waffle, oatmeal, bagel, apple, juice/coffee/pop, yogurt or cereal.

There was an ice machine and beverage machine on each floor for your use.

The only complaint that I had was the constant noise from the people staying in the room above me. They must have been doing aerobics or something. This could be avoided by requesting a room on the 3rd (top) floor.

I would recommend going to Satow's Drug Store for a (cheap!) lunch at their old fashioned soup/sandwich counter. I had a grilled cheese sandwich and bowl of chili for $3.95. The lady there, Sandy, was really nice and even gave my friend complimentary tea bags to take back to the hotel. It was like eating at an old Woolworths counter! Very quaint.

The climate control in each room was very nice. The fan could be on high or low and was very soothing for a little "white" noise at night. There was a refrigerator and microwave, coffee maker and hairdryer in each room. There was NOT a dvd player as stated on their website.

The bathroom amenities consisted only of a small (1oz) bottle of shampoo and lotion and tiny bar of soap. I would bring extra things like conditioner, etc. if you need it.

For the money ( I paid $69.00 per night) it was a great bargain and would stay there again if I ever went back to the area. There were absolutely NO children staying there, (because there is no pool or hot-tub) they were all down at the super expensive Zhenders Water World! Thank goodness. I have four children of my own, but when you go on a trip for yourself, you want to get away from that.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Marv Herzog Hotel? Share your experiences!