“Would not return!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Elsie
“Would not return!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Wish I would have stayed at the Marriot. First off the lady at check in wanted to charge me $50 dollars more than quoted.....she finally adjusted to the price I was quoted,thank goodness I had a copy of my confirmation. Then on to the rooms,we paid for 2 connecting rooms with queen size beds. They were full size beds with the most cheap scratchy bedding and over size polyester bed spreads that kept slipping off the beds:( needless to say, we were excited to get home to enable to have a good night sleep!
I was extremely disappointed and will never return or recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear IceCreamGirlElsie,

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at the Lodge. I am very sorry that there was confusion at check-in. I'm unable to research an exact explanation as this site is anonymous so I cannot look up the exact account. We do not offer a Queen sized bed in any guestroom in the hotel so I am a bit confused how we had given you the impression of a queen bed being offered.

Our mattresses and bed linen are new so I am so sorry they were uncomfortable. I have shared the concern on scratchiness with our laundry to assure that we are using our cleaning products properly. I am very sorry that we failed you.

Respectfully,

Jim Engel, C.O.O.
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (899)
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Beatiful Lodge in a Charming City. It does not get any better then this anywhere in this country. We visited this property while attending the annual snowfest in Frankenmuth, Michigan. You have to try the banana nut bread French toast for breakfest.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony that overlooked the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Bob K.,

Thank you for your very kind words regarding your recent stay and your history with us. I too enjoy Snowfest so much as we are host to all the internatoinal carvers. We appreciate their talent and the FUN they bring to our town. We look forward to your next visit and thank you again for your sharing on this site!

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had a deluxe corner room in the courtyard area. Room was beautiful, quiet, and the view of the river was outstanding!!! We loved the adult pool and hot tub area. The lighting was so relaxing and we basically enjoyed it by ourselves! We have already decided this will be an annual trip for us, and cant wait to come back. I strongly suggest anyone coming to vist, join the perks club right away!! Many benifits and discounts all for $10.00. Its also very convientant that they have a shuttle into town. Everything was spotlessly clean thoughout the Lodge. Love love love this wonderful place!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Shopper,

So appreciative of your decision to make us a tradition with your family. My office is adjacent to the adult pool area and I often have the opportunity to chat with guests like you who are pleased to have a child-free alternative for relaxing in the water (even though there may be lots of children in the Fun Center). Thanks for sharing your feelings on this amenity.

I hope to meet you upon your next visit to the Lodge and Frankenmuth!

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed in a standard room at this hotel last year. The place had plenty of pools, a nice arcade, and a great putt-putt course. The pizza place and cafe were also very nice. However, the room was a little on the small side and the beds were small and uncomfortable. Visitors to the pool are supposed to have a wrist band but it seemed to get very crowded toward the evening. I noticed many visitors without the bands. The hot tub was downright gross at this time.

Other than that we enjoyed ourselves. Make sure you get a discount price and it will be worth it. I gave this very good because of the amenities and not the room itself.

Room Tip: Get a suite or larger room. The standard rooms are small and the beds are worse.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear jbx2usa,

Thank you for staying with us at the Bavarian Inn Lodge. I am happy that you enjoyed the amenities in our Family Fun Center and sorry that you did not enjoy your guestroom. We do not have "old" versus new beds. All of our mattresses are made-in-Michigan pillow top or all foam mattresses. The oldest is about 3 years old and the newest are under 1 year old. From reading hundreds of reviews I have learned that many guests rave of the mattresses and a few show disappointment in the same product. I am confident that the style and firmness clearly did not match what you are accustomed to at home. I am sorry you did not have a comfortable night stay. If you ever do consider rebooking, our reservation team has the ability to look up your last room number and confirm the mattress type. They can then assign you a room with the opposite type of mattress to experience instead.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. We accept every note as a gift from our guests and take them all to heart.

Jim Engel, C.O.O. - "36th Year of Service to Bavarian Inn Guests"
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Go up several times a year, great getaway. I've never had a bad experience there in my 15+ visits.Courteous staff, well kept rooms, always something for the kids to do. You never have to leave the place if you don't want to.The Ratskeller, pools and the arcade are top notch. It was unfortunate that one of the slides was not operational, but I was informed of this when I booked my room.

Room Tip: If you're looking for peace and quiet, don't book a room near the Fun Center, alot of kids h...
Dear Axlework,

Thank you so much for sharing your great experiences with us at the Lodge here on TripAdvisor. We are blessed to have you as an Ambassador and appreciate deeply your loyalty! Thanks for making the trek up from Ohio to take in the Lodge and our small city of Frankenmuth.

We look forward to your next return!

Glen Burnie, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited Frankenmuth as part of a bus tour. While it was a nice stopover, frankly Frankenmuth is not a place I'd have chosen to visit on my own. The town seeks to preserve a Germanic feel which is part of it's heritage. And it is home to a popular Christmas shop. However, it really is not a must see destination..
The Bavarian Inn Lodge is a large convention style facility and is associated with the smaller Bavarian Inn located in the center of town. Rooms are small but well furnished. The restaurant in the hotel is small, and when several bus loads of tourists are there, it is very crowded. The food is just adequate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Soccer Man,

Thank you very much for your review title... glad you thought our town was cute and thank you for your compliments on the hotel. I am very sorry though to learn that your overall stay with the group in our community was a disappointment. I can agree that we are perhaps not a must-see destination for some, but we are proud to host about 3 million visitor's a year in Michigan, ranking #1 year round for visitors of any community in Michigan.

We at the Lodge do enjoy sharing our southern German heritage through stories and via our thematic approach to our facilities, our costuming and our architecture.

I would agree, when we have high occupancy in the hotel, prime breakfast time can be rather crowded but there is virtually never a wait and between Oma's restaurant and the Lorelei Lounge used for overflow we can seat over 200 guests for breakfast on any given morning.

Thank you for sharing your detailed evaluation. We always strive to improve and take to heart everything we learn.

Jim Engel, C.O.O. - "36th Year of Service to Bavarian Inn Guests"
Lake Orion, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I will never visit this hotel again. First, we arrived to learn that one of the two slides was broken, which was NOT the case when I booked the room. The room was not ready when we arrived so we had to drag all our luggage around because the kids really wanted to go to the pool. The pools were freezing and so was one of the two hot tubs. No staff members anywhere to ask why the pools were this condition. The room was ok, nasty comforter on the beds though. The pool towels were a joke....tiny, hard, falling apart. My average sized 8 yr old needed three of them to cover herself. The entire hotel is dark and dingy. So much chlorine in the pools and air that my 5 yr old son couldn't even swim because he would cough uncontrollably. I have never written a review before, but felt compelled to do so to spare others the huge disappointment we felt. Sooo disappointed. Will never return.

Room Tip: Do not go here!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Jennifer:

My sincere apology for your disappointment in your recent stay. Our innertube slide did in fact open just before Thanksgiving and we began to have mechanical issues with the pump of the new slide within 5 weeks of that date. I am so sorry that this was not communicated to you. I have not been able to determine who you are since this site is anonymous so I am not sure of your booking date. We did email every guest reserved for January once we realized (about Jan. 5th) that we would be closing down that slide. I suspect you did not receive that email. We also phoned every guest who did not provide an email address.

I am sorry their was a challenge with your comforter and the size of the pool towels. We use a 39" X 18" standard pool towel with a dark blue striped fabric down the middle for all pool towels. We own over 8,000 of them. I am not sure if a wrong hand towel was on a rack perhaps? I am a bit stumped but suspect something was wrong with the inventory at that time. I reviewed a rack of towels pool-side this morning and all are clean, bright with no wear or tear. I will work with housekeeping to study if some towels have not been pulled that are wearing, as this is standard policy.

Each of the pools have separate heaters and chemical controls throughout the hotels. I suspect that if you felt the impact on your eyes or lungs of one pool or whirlpool being harsh and irritating that it may have lingered with you as you traveled to others. Regardless, we are taking this complaint very seriously and hope to hear from you directly to make this up to you. We test water quality in every pool / whirlpool environment many times a day 7 days a week to keep chemicals in balance. The bather load has a huge impact on the air quality. We continue to work on studying and adjusting daily to combat these issues and will work harder to make this not repeat in the future.

I hope you will reconsider visiting us again as this is not our norm.

Jim Engel, C.O.O.
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!