“Very nice stay for adults or kids” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

You added Bavarian Inn Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Covered Bridge Lane, Frankenmuth, MI 48734   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
“Very nice stay for adults or kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed the night here, everything was nice. From Mel at the front desk checking me in to when I checked out. The pools were nice. The adult pool was nice and quiet and no line for the water slide. Just wish the other water slide was working. It's just bad that it already broke after almost two months being open. Thanks for keep up with the updates, with the pillows, new workout equipment, new TVs. Just keep up with the updates. Overall everything was good. Bring your kids or come for a couples retreat.

• Stayed January 2013
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear PTGTGUY:

Thank you so much for staying with us and appreciating the many updates that we have accomplished this last year. Hope you enjoyed the new WIFI (free) connections that are about 75% stronger than the previous signals too! We will work hard to keep making changes that you appreciate and enjoy using. I am sorry about the one water slide being out of order during your stay. Glad you enjoyed the other eight water features within the hotel - including the aduilt pool and whirlpool.

We are honored that you enjoy the Lodge both as a couple and with your children. Thanks for your loyalty!

Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

From the smiles at check-in to the service assistance at check-out, the Lodge offers nothing less than excellent service and accommodations. The staff is refreshingly helpful and positive, the rooms clean and well kept, the amenities from the pool and restaurants in the Lodge to the easy access to the village and all of the fine shopping and dining opportunities make Frankenmuth and the Lodge a delight!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TD:

"Delight" what a kind word to hear from you regarding your visit to Frankenmuth and the Lodge. Well, it was a "delight" to have you stay with us too! Thank you for sharing your feelings about visiting us and the community on this site. We will keep working hard to give great service and keep reinventing ourselves! Coming soon... changes to the miniature golf course! Looking forward to creating more memories for you!

Happy New Year!

Wyandotte, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

To whom it may concern,

I just returned from a 2 day stay at your hotel with my family of 8. Let me start by saying this is not my first time, we have had the opportunity to stay 1 other time, a few years ago, and honestly that time the heat was not working properly and it was freezing and we did not even use the pools. So we figure we would give it a second try. A few things I am disappointed wit this particular stay are as follows. The inner tube slide was broken, didn't it literally just open? The staff working the slides we less than even remotely aware of the children riding the slides. You were lucky they even noticed the kids even half the time we were there 2 different times for 4 hour stretches. They spent a mojority of the time either sitting or chatting to each other. My 4 year old fell tying to get out of the slide and the guy working got u to ask if he was ok, which I am surprised he even notice. The areas where the pools were locted were FREEZING. Enough that we as adults could barely tolerate swiming, to enjoy our ability to use the facilities. The tiles in the slide and kid swimming area were EXTREMELY slippery. My son almost fell several times, thankfully I was watching him and kept reminding him to stop running...I feel that the staff at the slides really should be watching the childrn more. Do you want someone to fall and injure themselves? Because trust me it will happen. At all the pools, I did not see not one staff person EVER take notice to anyone in the pool areas, which surpirses me. I get that you swim at your own risk, but lets be realistic you have slides and a kiddie pool.....I have been to other hotels that offer similar abilities and hotel s that offer more, and the staff is way more abundant and observant. The fact that your hotel really doesn't see the need to take safety more seriously bothers me. Yes the prices for the rooms ere cheap, because we are perks members, but at what cost? The smell of the cholorine was so OVER POWERING yu could smell it outside the hotel, and it actually burned your eyes while attempting to enjoy the ho tubs or swim, however that in its self was hard to enjoy with the FREEZING temps in ALL the pool areas. The staff that was present both days in the arcade, were less than friendly. Then lets talk about how everything @ the Bavariann Inn Castle Shops were closed the second day, that would have been nice to know. The River Place was having computer issues, so several of the stores wouldn't do any sales outside of cash or at all. SERIOUSLY? Then when we went back to the castle shops the last day of our stay so our daughters couls shop the doll shop. They were closed for inventory, and were rude when we asked when they would re-open this after noon? as thier sign stated. Thy said 2pm. so we went shopping until 2:30pm came back asked a manager when they would re-open? We were met with rude attiutde from him and th toy shop staff, before they finally opened at 3pm..and when we were making our purchases. I am sorry but honestly, this makes me not want to re-visit again. I have honestly never recieved such all around TERRIBLE customer service. Truthfully I could go on...but for what? I really felt yo should be aware of some of the reasons you have lost my business. My in laws come to your hotel 2x yearly, they were the reason we gave your hotel a 2nd chance. If we do return, we will probably stay another otel that we have had better luck at, the marriott or splash village. What an overall disappointing trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Kogden,

I am very sorry that you have had failed experiences at the Lodge on two situations. I agree that we too have great disappointment in the challenges we had experienced with the tube slide. We are experiencing challenges with the new equipment. It worked fine for weeks after opening and the very large pump for the tube slide has failed and is currently being re-engineered. I cannot speak to why you were not aware of the slide being out of commission as we were informing staff during the phone booking as well as on the website for online booking.

I would ask that if you wish, to contact Mr. Kim Whalen our Front Desk Manager as he would like to assist in making all of these challenges up to you.

Regarding the water slide attendants. They are in fact at the bottom and top of the slides to operate those particular rides. They are not able to leave that area without shutting down the slide and they rotate positions about every half hour.

I have met with our team on the tile in this area. The tile around the toddler pool is 12 years old and we have no pattern of frequent falls in the area. I have confirmed that we are not adding too much cleaner when mopping to assure there is no residue. I do agree with you that monitoring children for running is necessary, but all young children in this pool are never unattended by parents due to their age.

Please do contact Mr. Whalen so we can make this up to you.

wyandotte mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We've stayed at the Lodge for many nights and totally love the place, and when we stay there many times we never leave the place, the food and pools and staff is the reason why we just "stay Inn". Well worth the trip...The beds are very comfortable and pillows are great too!!

Room Tip: All rooms are very good, but the ones with the balcony are really nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Havin-a-good-time,

So glad you ARE having a good time at the Lodge visit after visit! Glad you enjoy the newer beds and our new pillow system where every bed has BOTH firmer and softer pillows so you can choose through the night what gives you the best nights rest.

Loved your play on words of "staying Inn". We should use that in our marketing shouldn't we!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn is a great place~ great for kids or for a romantic weekend away! Great food, great town and a great place to stay!! I would definitely recommend the Bavarian Inn for a weekend away. There are pools for kids and a pool for adults~ great arcade and great river view rooms! the chicken dinners are awesome ~ lots if fun for everyone !!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear K. Brinkman,

Thank you for enjoying our facilities both as a family and as a couple on different stays! We try hard with ideas like the adult only pool and whirlpool located near the front desk end of the building to offer a quiet and relaxing stay while families enjoy the Family Fun Center in the lower level. I too still enjoy (after 35 years of service here) the Frankenmuth Chicken that Dorothy Zehnder oversees in our Bavarian Inn kitchen. Dorothy is 91 years young and still oversees the entire kitchen six days a week! She is the family jewel of the Bavarian Inn Zehnder family.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return in the future!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went to Bavarian inn over the weekend on Jan 5th to use the water park. We normally stay at zehnders splash village but we had a coupon to stay at the inn. When we got there the sheer size of the place is pretty neat. Every room was named after a local family and also includes a short bio on the family in the room. Room was clean and nothing special. We had a room with a outside door to the castle tower. It would be nice to stay in the summer to enjoy the outdoor patio. We went to the water park ( I will use this term loosely.) and family fun center sat afternoon and was pleased that it was not crowded. My sons ( 5 & 3) had some fun some of the games, which were mostly young kid friendly. I was kind of disappointed that the water park basically consists of 5 pools, 2 slides,( of which one was down.) I did feel the pools were heavily chlorinated, enough were we would only let our kids swim in the kiddie pool in the end. Overall it was a average time. Nice hotel , really just a lot of swimming pools.

Dear KTM:

Thank you for taking the time to detail what you liked and what disappointed you on your recent holiday stay. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the overall games and swimming experience with your children. The things that disappointed you have actually become a significant strength to us from many other guests. So many folks appreciate the fact that the pools are spread out and it never feels so crowded. Also that pools intermingle with video games and miniature golf (not available in most indoor water parks) and you don't have to be in your bathing suit to enjoy these amenities. You are comfortable in normal clothing. So I agree, we are not a normal waterpark, we are a "living room styled water park hotel".

I am very sorry that one of our slides was out of order while you were here. They are brand new slides but we have experienced some mechanical challenges with one pump. It was manufactured in Sweden, thus the issue with downtime. Our sincere apology for that.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was okay pretty nice. Hotel knew we were bringing the extra person to use the pull out sleeper, no extra sheets or pillows were provided. The hotel was over come by the intense smell of chlorine even in the rooms, visine is necessary The hotel goes to great length to keep smokers from not smoking in the rooms or on the balcony, But no coverage outside in case for inclimate weather. You are a destination point in a snowy state a little coverage for the people who pay to stay at your hotel. There are certainly better bang for your hard earned dollar out there.

Dear hardatwork,

Thank you for sharing your disappointment regarding your stay. It is only through understanding guests feelings and experiences that we can work on improvements. First I appreciate what you are saying about smoking venues outdoors. I believe our county is a bit more strict than the State law as it was clarified to us that we cannot allow smoking to happen withing entrances or within the primary path to an entrance. The concept is that we cannot require the public to have to walk thru a smoking area to get to the building. A guideline of 30 feet away from entrances is used. I visit and chat with many resorts around the State and I am not aware of covered or enclosed facilities available anywhere as you describe. Even in our county. I believe many guests chose to smoke in their cars if the weather is inclement. That said, you have now placed the concept in our minds to watch for solutions that may be pre-manufactured that we can consider.

Regarding the chlorination problem that you felt was within the entire building. I think I know what happened. First, we have not received other complaints that there is a chlorine smell in guests rooms or wide spread around the facility. We do on occasion have to manage the chlorine smell in our Family Fun Center. Chlorine, actually has almost no odor. What we smell is the reaction of chlorine with foreign particles with water and create chloromine gas. It is that bi-product that can get in our sinuses and lungs and be an irritant. So we work on managing our air systems and test our chemistry in the water multiple times a day 7 days a week. I know in recent weeks we have had several situations with heavy bather loads that caused the odor you speak of. My experience is that once I get that in my sinuses, it lingers with me anywhere I go for a period of time. I believe this is what happened to you and or members of your party. I am very sorry for the situation, wherever it may have began. But be assured, the air sources from our guestrooms are totally independent from the air systems of the pool areas and Fun Center.

I hope you may reconsider visiting us based on the facts shared.

Bavarian Inn Lodge

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!