“Great Family Fun in Michigan's Little Bavaria” 4 of 5 stars

You added Bavarian Inn Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Covered Bridge Lane, Frankenmuth, MI 48734   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Michigan
“Great Family Fun in Michigan's Little Bavaria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have visited the Bavarian Inn numerous times throughout the years. We started when our kids were just infants and toddlers, and we still go back at least once a year now that they are 13, 11, and 9. The hotel is clean, the staff is helpful and friendly. There are 5 pools: a zero entry pool with fountains for the little ones, a splash fun pool for the slightly older kids, a regular pool with a deep end, a waterfall pool, and an adults only pool with hot tub. There are also hot tubs next to the waterfall pool and regular pool. If you are sensitive to chlorine, the levels in the pools (and especially the hot tub) are very high. Bring lotion for dry skin. Other positives include: karaoke and dancing for kids in the Ratskeller restaurant, the Lorelei lounge for adults and families (you can order a drink, and they sometimes have live music), a miniature golf course, and an arcade with lots of games. Onto the negatives. I mentioned it earlier, but when I say high chlorine levels, I'm not kidding. They are ridiculously high sometimes. The hot tub can take your breath away and make your eyes burn. The arcade is a money trap. Many of the games cost $.50 to $2.00 to play. It adds up fast. Oma's restaurant inside of the hotel has mediocre food for slightly high prices. We usually get McDonald's breakfast sandwiches instead of eating at their breakfast buffet. Our kids are at the age now that we can really enjoy the adult pool. It is also nice, because they have ping pong tables and a pool table next to it for our kids to use while we relax.

If you decide to go at least once a year, the Perks Club is definitely worth joining. You earn $20 gift certificates for every $100 you spend at the hotel, the Bavarian Inn restaurant (chicken dinners...yum), and the Cheese Haus. The number to join the Perks Club is 1-989-652-7700 or
1-877-737-5707.

The city of Frankenmuth is great for walking the strip. There are lots of unique shops on the Main Street and also in the River Place Shopping Center next door to the Bavarian Inn. We enjoy going to the Frankenmuth Brewery for dinner and samples of their house made beers. I really like the Dunkel and the Hefeweizen. If you have small children, Grandpa Tiny's Farm is great fun. The kids can pet different animals and take a wagon ride around the farm.

Room Tip: If you are traveling without children or have older children that are self-sufficient, request a gro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Kelly M.,

Thank you so much for your July 2012 post on this site. I somehow neglected to thank you back then and can now see on the site any reviews I did not respond to previously - my apologies for the delay!

So glad that our growing family has enjoyed the Lodge for many years. I am so sorry that you had experienced bad chlorine challenges. We have had some amazing revelations with the asistance of Washington State consultants who helped beat our chlorine odor problems. We now have minimal use of chlorine as we also use Ultraviolet light as well as CO2 system to help clean the water. The overwhelming chlorine odor is almost always non-existent now.

We hope you will return to put us to the test. Including the two newest waterslides in Michigan.

Thank you for being one of the 19,800 families in our Perks Club. We will keep working hard to create value and family memories for your next visit!

Jim Engel, C.O.O.
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
Saint Clair, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been staying at the Bavarian Inn Lodge for years. I have never had a bad experience. My most recent stay was July 3rd for the fireworks. They were the best in the 12 years I have been staying at the lodge to see them! Kodos to all involved in this great event!
You never have to leave the lodge. Everything is there! A great place to relax or stay busy for days!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Cindy:

So glad you enjoyed the fireworks! We did too, in fact one of the great firework shots is on the homepage of our facebook account for you to enjoy! It was a new company this year and they wanted to impress the organizers and community! They did well.

Thank you for 12 years of confidence and we hope to keep earning your business for years to come!

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was our 3rd visit to the Lodge as a family (with me being the parent), but I've probably been here at least 10 times over the course of my life. Not much changes.

Pros:
My kids (3 and 5) enjoyed the pools and some of the games, but the fun center is geared more towards preteens and up. Sally in housekeeping was not assigned to make up our room, but when I went to find someone who was willing to make up my room while I was in it, she cheerfully came right away and did a great job. She gave us extra towels and was in and out in about 15 minutes. I do not like to have my room made up while I'm not in it because I bring a laptop with me and want the "do not disturb" sign on the door so that no one enters. She was very willing to make up the room even though it was not on her list. Martha's has good coffee in the morning for decent prices. (We otherwise brought our own breakfast food and ate in our room since we spent so much on dinners). The facility was clean overall and in better shape than when we last stayed here in 2007. The room had been upgraded some - new mattresses (which were still hard and pretty uncomfortable - but I am 6 months pregnant so I'll reserve judgment) and flat screen TVs. Unfortunately, our TV was not working when we checked in, but maintenance came right away when we called and got it working, and the prompt response was a plus. Also, make sure you are a member of the Perks Club. You can use your Perks Card and earn points towards a certificate for money off of a future visit. Since we come to Frankenmuth every year, we will definitely use that money someplace.

Cons:
First: I booked the room on a web only special. I asked for a river view room. Very technically, Rm 118 IS a river view room. HOWEVER - the entire view of the river from this room is blocked by a row of trees. I also also put on my reservation that I would like to be upgraded to a room with a balcony if one was available, and when I checked in I asked about it and was told none was available, even for an additional cost. The lodge was not at capacity this weekend, they still had vacancy, so why I was not able to upgrade is beyond me. For a Perks member, I would have thought they would have tried to do more to make me happy.

Second: My Perks Club envelope was waiting for me at the desk at check in. I had renewed my membership over the phone about a week ago. When I got to my room and opened the envelope, all of the coupons and materials inside had expired in June or before. Were there no July coupons/materials? When I called the front desk to ask, I was told they did not have any materials aside from what I was given. Um...I find this hard to believe, but ok.

Third: The pools. OK - I need to be honest here. I remember these being way cooler when I was a kid. Aside from that, there are *technically* five pools on the property, but this is hardly a "water park". For the past several years we've been staying down the road at the real "water park", and that is a totally different experience than this is, on many levels - from entertainment, to lifeguard supervision. This is literally just FIVE POOLS, not a waterpark. Pools 1 and 2: The baby pool and the "lazy river" are together in one room - and to me, almost count as one because the "lazy river" is so shallow it could be a baby pool. The baby pool has some sprayers on the one side and 4 geyser type shooters on the other. My kids were a little bit too old for this pool (although age certainly didn't prevent several teenagers from being in there to terrorize the little kids while we were there) so they did not spend a lot of time in it. They did enjoy the "lazy river" pool, but let's clear up that description: "lazy river" implies inner tubes and some type of current. This pool has neither. It has the round formation and some jets that shoot out of the middle, along with water gun type things around the outside that can shoot in to the pool. But it is entirely too small to be a true "lazy river". I think this pool either needs to be re named, or it needs a major upgrade to become a true "lazy river". Also, a child pooped in this pool while my kids were in it. Someone went and got a staff member but no real effort was made by staff to clear the pool or shut down the area. The guy who worked there kind of stood there while he waited for another guy to come clean it...parents just got their kids out. I felt like the room should have been shut down while they cleaned the pool to ensure the health safety of the kids who were swimming there. I realize chlorine kills germs, but down the road at the "water park", this happened, and they shut down an entire side of the park to treat the water and the area. I just didn't think the situation was handled very well by the lodge staff this weekend. Pool 3: The third pool is the family center pool directly outside of the room with the baby pool/lazy river in it. This pool also has a whirlpool next to it. This was a nice pool that only goes to 4 ft 6 in. Unfortunately, large groups of rowdy teenagers were in it much of the time that we were, which scared my kids. These teens appeared to be without adult supervision and when I went to try to find a staff member to deal with them, I could not find one. Also, this area had the ONE chaise lounge in it for the entire group of 4 pools within the family fun center. It was constantly occupied by the shoes and towels of the teenagers. As I mentioned before - I am pregnant and would have appreciated a comfortable place to sit. Instead I was stuck in a hard plastic chair with my back killing me while this ONE chaise lounge was occupied by...stuff. There needs to be at least 4 or 5 chaise lounge chairs in this area - AT LEAST. I understand pool deck space is at a premium, but one of these is not enough. Pool 4: The waterfall pool - located behind the mini golf course on the other side of the fun center. If people don't think to go over there and look for it, you might get to be alone without rowdy groups of teenagers in this pool/whirlpool area. However, this pool is a bit deeper than the one I mentioned as Pool 3 and is probably not suitable for smaller children. Not much to say about it, other than it has a waterfall at one end and is sort of tucked away from the other pools. It's nice, but not where we spent most of our time due to the fact that it's probably meant for kids who are a bit older than ours. Pool 5: The "adults only" pool. I can't comment a whole lot on this pool because we didn't get to swim in it this visit due to having our children with us. I agree that having an "adults only" pool is a good idea though, because dealing with the gangs of unsupervised teenagers in the rest of the pools was REALLY irritating. I know there are also those who don't like to deal with little kids, which I understand.

A few comments/suggestions: 1) If you can have a pool for adults, then there should also be a pool - and I mean something OTHER than the baby wading pool - for families with YOUNG kids (10 and under maybe), and parents should be REQUIRED to be present with children - monitored by lifeguards. There were entirely TOO MANY rowdy/unsupervised teens in the baby pool, the "lazy river", and the pool directly outside of the room with those 2 pools. I think that this entire area should be designated for young families as a place where people can feel safe with their little kids swimming and not getting knocked over or practically drowned by big kids who are being rowdy and careless. The bigger kids should be able to go to the waterfall pool/whirlpool which is by golf and other "big kid" activities anyhow. There were several times this weekend where I just did not feel that my children were safe in the water due to the rowdy activity of the bigger and older kids. I should also mention that both of my children CAN swim, and I STILL did not necessarily feel safe. 2) There are no lifeguards on duty (or any other type of staff, really) in any of the pool areas (that I could see). It would really behoove this establishment to have at least one lifeguard stationed in the 4 family fun center pools at all times to cut down on some of the unsupervised shenanigans. Even when I went to try to find ANY staff member to complain, the only staff I could find was working at the gift shop or the Ratskellar. Not really a good idea to put up signs saying "don't leave kids unsupervised" and then hope it works out. Your counterpart down the road has lifeguards - lots of them - and things are much more calm and orderly there. A few lifeguards at the fun center pools would go a LONG way, in my opinion.

Fourth: Willy's Golf - it's time for an upgrade. This course is the same as it was when I played with my brother in the early 90s. It's tired and looks worn and is BORING and overpriced for what it is. Given the prices at this place, a few upgrades should be possible here and there.

Fifth: Guest room shower. First, our room had terrible water pressure. Second, the temperature fluctuated from warm to scalding continually, at all times of the day and night, and for no apparent reason (toilet flushing, sink running, etc). I did not call anyone because I didn't want to sit and wait for maintenance, but this is a problem. My first shower there was at noon on a Saturday (so, not a peak shower time), and I had terrible pressure and fluctuating water temperature. We also took showers late at night (after 11pm) after coming back from the pool, mid afternoon (3-4pm) after the pool, and first thing in the morning (between 9 and 10am) and it was a problem continually. It's not like we were using the shower always during some peak hotel shower time. This should be looked at and taken care of.

And a few other suggestions to upgrade the rooms: Double beds are TOO SMALL. Every hotel room should have at least queens at this point. Microwaves in the rooms would go a long way. A clothesline in the tub to hang wet swimsuits on would be nice as well. Many families, I am sure, swim, take a break, and go back to swim again later. Who wants to put on a wet suit, or tromp through a wet bathroom where the suits are hanging over the shower curtain bar?

More than likely, had we not taken 6 hours to get to Frankenmuth on Friday due to an accident in Ann Arbor (it's usually a 4 hour trip for us), I would have inspected the room BEFORE we unloaded the car in to it, and asked to be moved to another one. However, we were tired of driving, the kids were antsy, and we wanted to get out of the car and get our stuff into the room and go eat dinner since we were already 2 hours late getting in. Because of the circumstances, we lived with some things about the room (shower issues, view, etc) that I would have otherwise insisted upon having changed. Overall, the staff was friendly and attentive, when they could be found. The problem was, we had a hard time finding people, particularly in the fun center.

I did notice that between Friday night and Saturday, the "culture" of this place totally changed. "Family" was more the theme on Friday night, rowdy teenage gangs was the theme on Saturday. Not really my idea of a safe and fun family getaway with 2 little kids when I have to keep putting my pregnant self in between them and big kids who aren't supervised and aren't being careful. This is where having lifeguards or other staff on duty would have been very helpful. I have no authority to throw someone out, but a lifeguard would.

Finally, our van was scratched pretty badly sometime on Saturday night in the parking lot. I noticed it this morning, and I know it was when it was parked there, because the van is brand new and I'm meticulous about it. There was no scratching when we left it there after dinner on Saturday, and someone was already parked next to us on that side when we pulled in. No one was parked next to us when we found the damage in the morning, and there was not much we could do. I understand it's park at your own risk, but that really stinks.

Overall, without a "Perks" rate benefit of some type, I'll probably choose to go back to the place down the street next time. More fun, nicer accommodations, and LIFEGUARDS. It's a bit more expensive, but I think it's worth it. Our stay this time at the Lodge was better than our last stay was - that was pretty ho-hum and the staff was HORRIBLE on that visit, but this visit was still not great enough for me to say that the Bavarian Inn Lodge is "the place" in Frankenmuth. There is a lot of improvement still needed here. Attention to details and a few lifeguards would be a good start.

Dear Amy:

Thank you for taking the time to explain what you enjoyed as well as your observations for improvement. It was very kind of you to take the time to elaborate here. I am sorry that you didn't speak to a manager while on site regarding any of your concerns as in some cases, we could have provided an explanation or solution immediately.

As we have now been in the lodging business for 25 years, it is true that our trees have matured around the building somewhat. I went to your room, 118 and I agree that the tree's certainly have grown - and the view of the river is limited, you can see it, but I agree, it is limited. I will share this observation with Judy Zehnder to see if we can further trim trees or if we can remove several of the larger pines and replant smaller ones again.

I can explain the perks coupons you received. You had JUST joined the perks club so they always provide in-house guests with the most recent Perks newsletter that was mailed to the homes of our other 19,000 + Perks families. This Newsletter was mailed out in March and the next letter is going out now. Thus the reason the enclosed coupon within the body of the newsletter was expired. And in fact, none of these shops had coupons offered to guests in July or August at all.

I am sorry that although our pools are the same as when you last stayed, that you were disappointed now as an adult. There is in fact a current that pulls you around the lazy river pool. I agree it isn't a river and we intentionally emphasize it is a pool. The current is rather strong and I am concerned it was not functioning when you were there as it is an obvious current. That said, upcoming remodeling plans will alter this area and resolve many of your issues. Those announcements are coming very soon.

I appreciate your comments about children and we do have managers who should have been both visible and accessible if you needed them during your entire stay. I do not know of any hotel in Michigan that manages to require the adults to be in attendance at each pool that their child or children might be in as a teenager. We will continue to support good behavior and often ask parents if any guest is being a bit wild. I have notices how some children act differently when in the presence of a "red vest" manager. They don't expect me to ask a parent in a bathing suit to point out their behavior to them. I wish every parent was as conscientious as you are, we would not have this problem ever!

We are in fact working on plans to upgrade the golf course. We have made some alterations already and more will come this winter! Willy the Dragon, who lives with us, will soon have his wife joining us and the golf course is planned to get much more whimsical in the months to come!

Regarding water pressure, we really wish you would have contacted us, this is often the issue of an older shower head that may be getting plugged with calcium or defective. We have resolved this issue.

Regarding the other guests that stay, the inference of "gangs" can only mean family groups that have multiple teens at the same time. We had no reports of malicious behavior or even excessive noise complaints during your stay recorded with the operator or the Manager on Duty. Anytime you feel guests are acting inappropriate at any hotel, please contact the operator immediately as it is our job to keep a balance of fun and quiet in all public areas.

We hope you will give us another chance down the road, as we try hard every day to create family memories here in Frankenmuth!

Lapeer, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Loved the adult only pool very relaxing.The beds are so inviting even has 4 pillows on each bed.I really loved how they redid the bathroom mirrors now I can look in the mirror and see the back of my hair.We played golf downstairs no going outside at this motel it even has its own restaurant inside.Great family lodge.

Dear MSCountryedge:

Thank you for making the short 35 mile trip from Lapeer to stay at the Lodge. So glad you like the upgrades to the original 100 guestrooms. We are receiving lots of positive feedback on two firm and two soft pillows on every bed. It is amazing how people like opposites of each other! We appreciate your telling others about us and look forward to your next arrival!

Fraser, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had a great family vacation. My grand daughter really enjoyed herself. Service was excellent, and I would definately recommend my friends to visit Bavarian Inn, Riverboat was fantastic and loads of fun. Pool area was nice and clean and food at the Rathskell cafe was delicious expecially the wings and pizza. (BIG HIT) This is a very family orientated place and the whole staff makes you feel welcome.

Room Tip: We had a balcony patio riverview room. It was great. Great view of the Christmas Tree place at Bonn...
Dear Carolyn:

So Glad that you enjoyed the new pizza and chicken wing combination in the Ratskeller. We are tickled to see grandparents enjoying our facilities with their grandchildren. You are definitely creating great memories for your granddaughter and we are PROUD to be part of them!

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have been staying at the Bavarian Inn Lodge for several years. We just stayed for July 4 & July 5, 2012. The staff is very friendly and the the rooms are clean and comfortable. Housekeeping staff is doing a great job. We stay several times a year and take advantage of the Perks Club members rates. Really a great deal. The restaurants are very nice and have a nice menu choice. We will be back again this year.

Dear Linda:

Thank you for your loyalty! We are glad you are a member of our Perks Club and look forward to your next stay! I will share your kind words with the Housekeeping department. So many guests just expect cleanliness. It will be special to them that you shared your observation of cleanliness with the world!

Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have been going to the Bavarian Inn for years. The kids love it even better than Splash Village. They like the putt putt golf and love the arcade! We like the pools that are there and of course love the chicken dinner!!! Its a great vaule and tons of fun! We call it our mini vacation.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. They have a mini fridge so we always bring drinks and snacks!
, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear AM: Thanks for taking the short trek of about 75 miles to get-a-way to the Bavarian Inn Lodge. We will keep working on making the Fun Center FUN for you and our other guests! Look forward to your next arrival!

Bavarian Inn Lodge

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!