“Nice place-- they need to invest in more drivers” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Flint
“Nice place-- they need to invest in more drivers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

A nice, clean and cheap place to stay. Don't be fooled with their driving service-- they are over worked and VERY SLOW to respond to calls! Close-ish to downtown, but the shuttle service's slowness really negates any continence to be had!

• Stayed September 2013
flintexpressgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flint, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for writing a review on the Holiday Inn Express - Flint / Campus Area. We are pleased to hear your wonderful comments about our cleanliness and the value of our Holiday Inn Express. Thank you and we hope to see you on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Perrysburg, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

It's an average hotel. We book it ever year for our family reunion in Lapeer or Flint. (Now I hear there's a new Holiday inn in Lapeer) No pool. No bar even close. Not even a gas station or corner store. Vending machines didn't work except for first floor. Nothing has changed since we last stayed here. This is our last year coming to this hotel.

Oh yeah.....Staff was nice except the one girl who wouldn't give me a late checkout for being an IHG member but gave the rest of my fam of 7 rooms a 1 or 2pm check out. I asked before them and after them and I am the only IHG member in the group. But whatever ;)

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flint, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear MicheleD1066,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations and for that please accept our sincere apology for the issues you have encountered during your stay with us. Rest assured, your valuable comments are noted and will be forwarded to the appropriate department to be addressed accordingly. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Krysllin G
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Flint hotels

Flatwoods, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our travels to the Upper Michigan began here and was a great experience. The area was chosen to allow a good rest before a marathon 4-day tour, and it was a great choice. We have traveled for years, and the "free breakfast" deals have many times been "vending machine" options. Not so here; the breakfast fare was extensive and well prepared. I cannot recall the name of the hostess, but she was fantastic. There were 53 in our group and we all agreed it was far superior to the menu at the #1 rated hotel in Mackinaw City, MI. The facility was clean and the staff was attentive to our needs. The area around the hotel is limited, but the pizza delivery and "party" in the lobby as we headed home made it a memorable end to a enjoyable week.

Room Tip: As there are no specific sites in the area, any room would be acceptable to me when I visit again.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Madison Heights, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were in town to run the Crim 10 mile. Even though we are from the Detroit area it was more convenient to stay in Flint as the race started at 8AM. I am not the most morning oriented person so felt it was better to stay within walking distance of the starting line. This hotel delivered on that accord.

We made our reservations late and I am certain that hotel rooms are at a premium when this race is run however I found it to be a bit of gouging in that they charged us $189 plus tax in order to stay at this hotel. It is kind of like when there is a hurricane and the gas station owners hike gas up to $4 per gallon. Regardless I cannot fault them for trying to make a buck or two as I am certain there is not a ton going on that brings overnight guests to Flint throughout the rest of the year.

Arrived at about 7:30 in the evening and checked in. The ladies at the desk seemed a bit flustered as I am sure they were busier than what they typically would have been. Normal check in procedures. Asked for a late check out and was informed that since "everyone" staying there was running the Crim it would be impossible to give us a later check out. I have been staying at HI Expresses for business and pleasure for many years and have never been refused a later checkout. I was a bit miffed but what are you going to do. Was a little bit PO'd that I just spent $189 on a room and they were going to kick me out by 11:00 the next day. Considering the race would not be done until about 10:30 I would be unable to shower and remove my stuff from the room by checkout. That was most of the rationale for booking the room at that price. Come on! - why else would I pay $189 for a hotel room in Flint??? More on this later.

She also informed us that breakfast would be offered starting at 7:00. Not real good as we would be leaving for the race by then. It turned out that they started breakfast for racers earlier but she never bothered to inform us of that fact. In all she was rather rude and not very helpful but giving her the benefit of the doubt they were probably busier than usual.

The room was standard with a Jacuzzi tub, microwave, and mini fridge. The entire hotel is in need of an update however everything was in working order and clean. The walls seemed thin when comparing to other HI Expresses as I could hear people in the hallway as well as stairwells pretty clearly.

The next morning I made my way to the front desk and spoke with a very pleasant young lady and asked again for a later checkout. I informed her of my Priority Club status (I also informed the attendant the previous evening) and she immediately told me that 1:00 would be fine. That was great customer service by recognizing customers that give their brand repeat business on a regular basis. This hotel just redeemed itself, in my book, by having a professional at the front desk. We were now able to run the race, enjoy a bit of the festivities, and return to clean up and get on the road without having to worry about being charged for an additional evening. We checked out and went to the farmers market across the street. Convenient to that and one of the better markets that I have been to.

All in all I would probably stay here again if ever in need and next year for the same race if we run it. The place would have been rated 4 stars but the rude front desk lady, property in need of updates, and no pool or hot tub knock it down to three.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flint, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear CPAExplorer,

Krysllin G.
Waterloo, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

There were very few cars in the parking lot and very few people at breakfast, so I suspect a Sunday night in August wasn't a busy time for this Holiday Inn. Maybe it doesn't have any busy times, since it's located in Flint, a blighted city if ever there was one, with vacant property apparently the main industry. I was assured that "there are nice parts of Flint", but I didn't see any on a drive of several miles; in fact I didn't see anyplace I could even get some dinner, except an Arby's. In those surroundings, and in a neighbourhood that consisted mostly of empty space, the Holiday Inn was bright, well-run, and (as far as I could tell) safe. It had the usual comforts, though no pool, and I had no troubles with cleanliness, bugs or anything of the sort. The young man who was working the evening shift at the main desk is an enormous asset to this business and should go far -- he was helpful, courteous, cheerful, well informed, and articulate, and he even remembered my name. Of course there weren't many names to remember that day, but still, I was impressed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ingersoll
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the Alfred P Slone automobile museum and it is relatively easy access off the inter-state. Upon arrival the staff was both helpful and pleasant. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable with very good amenities. We slept very well at this property. In the morning we had a delicious hot breakfast in the hotel's lovely, spacious and comfortablbreakfast area. the food was very tasty and plentiful, but the greatest asset is 'Norma Jean' the lady who organizes and manages this venue. She and my wife "Marilyn" seemed to hit it off right away. She was extremely helpful, accommodating and pretty much just an enjoyable person to talk with. Of course the desk staff was also very pleasant upo checking out. When we return to Flint in the future this will be our property of choice.

Room Tip: We only spent one night but it was an excellent night so I trust that all the rooms are as good as t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed here on my first visit to Flint, MI. Given what I saw of the surrounding area, I'm not sure if other nearby hotels have much more to offer. That being said, I selected the Holiday Inn Express thinking it would be in line with most Holiday Inn properties.

The staff was very pleasant throughout my stay, and there weren't really any glaring issues. After checking into my room I got a call from the front desk making sure everything was OK with the room. I told them one of the chairs was broken - the armrest was literally hanging off the side. She said it would be taken care of but nothing was ever done. I didn't really care since I had no need to use the chair.

The lobby either had no air conditioning, or it was on the fritz - same for the hallways it seemed. This made check in, breakfast, and coming and going generally uncomfortable, but at least the A/C in the room worked without issue.

All in all, this is just a dated hotel. On the bright side, the price is low and the staff tried to make up for what the building lacked.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flint, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Ben R,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our hotel continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Flint? Share your experiences!