“comfortable place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Flint
Maumee, Ohio, United States
“comfortable place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

good price for what you get. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff at check in were pretty good, very attentive to your needs even though there were a lot of distractions going on. Swimming pool area was very clean, funny thing is the pool was chilly and the hot tub to hot. Would stay here again for sure.
Please get the elevators fixed, one was broke and the place was packed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Scott H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Flint, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent April stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us! The elevator in now in working order so we apologize on the delay in getting back and forth to your room. I will also have our Chief Engineer look at our pool/hot tub temperatures to ensure that they are set at the correct temperatures for the comfort of our guests. We look forward to hosting you again when you are visiting the Flint area! We appreciate your business!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Johannesburg, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

First, very nice hotel as far as cleanliness, staff, lots of extra pillows, super comfy bed, etc... Was there due to a predicament with one of our vehicles ( husband and two small children 5 and 7). My biggest irritant with this place is the layout if you want to use the pool. The pool is very nice and so is the work out room (on floor 2). But if you want to get to them be prepared for a maze and some stares. Example: we stayed on the 4th floor, the pool is obviously on the first floor. You can either take the elevator down to the lobby, walk in front of the restaurant/thru lobby and all the way across the hotel (in your swim suits, in front of people eating and checking in) or you can take the stairs to the second floor, follow a series of mazes, then walk down a grand staircase (still in view of the main lobby/restaurant) and THEN walk around to the pool. NOW, if you are there to use the pool all of this can be solved - there are rooms RIGHT outside of the pool on the first floor. Wish we would have known that (or it had been expressed to us) when we checked in. Also, our room on the 4th floor had a window, that literally looked down into the center of the hotel. I'd rather not have a window if that be the case! Lobby was full, too, because it was Easter weekend so we heard it in our room. AGAIN - nice place, just be picky when choosing your room!

Room Tip: If using pool, pick floor one room outside of pool. If you want a higher up room, ask for a room th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Scott H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Flint, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay in April! It is feedback like yours that help us improve our service and facility. We offer several different room type options here at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre, so we will be sure to provide some additional training with our front desk staff to ensure that we are providing options that fit our guests needs and preferences. We value your business and hope that you will consider us again the next time your travels bring you to the Flint area!
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was in Flint for 4 nights recently for business, and the Holiday Inn came pretty well recommended. I was not disappointed.

The facilities are kept up nicely, and the rooms are very comfortable and very clean. The staff is friendly. The best feature by far is the van service--they will not only shuttle you to and from the airport, but also to the downtown Flint area, which is where I needed to be every day. The drivers are very helpful and courteous. The free Internet is good; no issues with connectivity or speed.

The hotel does have two challenges. J. Porters, the restaurant, is not very good. The food for lunch and dinner is okay, but the breakfast buffet has a mass-produced, mediocre quality to it, and the service is just so-so regardless. Tables around the edges of the restaurant (where most guests aren't seated for breakfast) seem to be bussed only on a once a day basis. About as unremarkable as any hotel restaurant I've been to. Also, the business center is functional, but it has ancient computers. I couldn't download my boarding passes on the version or Internet Explorer they were running (on old tube monitors!). Fortunately, the computers have no security on them, so I was able to install a new version of Firefox on my own in order to complete my job. However, they do have nice laser printers, and printing is free.

All in all, if I were to go back to Flint, this is where I would stay; it is, as one other reviewer noticed, as close to 5-star as Flint can get, and it's a solid choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sheryl C, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Flint, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
At the Holiday Inn Flint we strive to give quality service and product. We were disappointed to hear that your experience in J.Porters did not meet your expectations. We enjoy getting feedback from our guests, good or in areas of opportunity, so that we can continue to strive to put out the best product and service so that we exceed our guests expectation every time, every day.
We will be sure to share your feedback with the F&B director and restaurant staff. We hope that you will consider staying with us again and dining in our restaurant the next time your travels bring you to the Flint area.

We truly appreciate your business!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Friendly desk staff, clean room, comfy bed and pillows. Free WiFi. Just wish I hadn't eated dinner and breakfast here. The hotel's website states "One of the best features of our full service hotel's location in Flint, Michigan is our onsite restaurant, J Porter's." I strongly disagree; the restaurant is probably the worst feature. The interior reminded me of a Perkins Restaurant. The staff acted as if we were inconveniencing them. The food was mediocre at best. I ordered the Chop Salad and it was basically just a stack of iceburg lettuce, mushy tomatoes, sliced black olives from a can, about a cup of crumbled bacon and a huge pile of blue cheese. Portions of ingredients were out of proportion and not very fresh. For breakfast I ordered the fruit and cottage cheese, which was fine except the fruit was kind of dried out as if it had been cut up days ahead of time. There is a limited buffet offered at breakfast; I believe it was $8.99. I'd definitely recommend staying here if you venture outside of the hotel for meals if you want something a little more special, especially for dinner.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheryl C, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Flint, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the unfortunate incident that you experienced while dining in J Porters. We strive to give the best product and service to each and every guest and obviously that did not happen in your case.

I have taken the liberty of discussing these problems with both the Restaurant and kitchen staff to ensure that this does not happen again.

Again, thank you. It is through comments like yours that allow us to implement procedures to produce the quality that we strive for.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. The staff is always friendly and prompt, from the van driver to the front desk or bar. Nice and close to the airport. There is a great turkey place to eat around the corner & a store nearby if you need anything. The lobby is pretty, so it can often be noisy if there is a party...just ask for a room facing away. Overall, great place from top to bottom.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know how well our Staff is taking care of our guests.

We take great pride in exceeding our customers expectations and always appreciate the feedback.

Have a Great day and we look forward to having you stay with us during your next trip to the Flint Area.
Cheboygan, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I planned my trip to surprise my dad with a visit, since we hadn't seen eachother in 6 years. As an employee of Holiday Inn, I was treated with disregard and disrespect. The ammenities that I had confirmed with the hotel prior to my arrival weren't there. There was no refrigerator in the room, which was needed since my fiance has to have special almond milk and we were also bringing food so that we didn't need to eat out. We had to waste alot of food that needed refrigeration. Also, when told I would get a phone call about the issues, no one called me and I waited over 5 hours to hear from them and then called myself to find out that they would not bring a fridge unless we paid another 10 dollars. There was only one waste basket in the room which was in the bathroom and was very tiny. There was somekind of dirt in the tub also. There were kids going up and down in the elevators all night and rough housing in the halls. Kids laying on the floor of the hallways with their ohones plugged in the outlets just talking on the phone and yelling loudly for hours. I was told on the phone as we were planning our trip that there was breakfast provided, then when we got up and went down in the morning, I was told because I was an employee, I didn't rate breakfast and would have to pay. I have never felt so badly after a hotel stay as I did visiting the Flint Holiday Inn Gateway. It really ruined our entire Saturday and was a definite never again in my book, which stinks because this is the company that I work for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Flint, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear araminta v,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property. I am sorry to hear that the service you received was unacceptable. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our best to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
East Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I've never been the biggest fan of Holiday Inns, but this stay may just change my mind. The hotel is very clean and modern-looking. It's December, and the lobby area is decorated beautifully. The room I stayed in was very clean and comfortable. The decor was decent, and the beds triple-sheeted. The front desk staff was very courteous and professional. Definitely worth another visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheryl C, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Flint, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre Flint.

Our staff takes great pride in the work they do and are always excited to hear that they are making a difference .

Thanks again and we hope to have you stay with us for your next trip into Flint.

Happy Holidays.

Been to Holiday Inn Flint? Share your experiences!