“Simply the BEST!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of J. Paules Fenn Inn

J. Paules Fenn Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fennville
J. Paules Fenn Inn
You added J. Paules Fenn Inn to your Saves list
2254 South 58th Street, Fennville, MI 49408   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Fennville B&B and Inns
Indiana
“Simply the BEST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Paulette and Ewald are fantastic hosts of this lovely B&B. We have stayed there 3 times in the past year and a half. We love the Tree Top Room. The room is lovely and private. The hot tub is great, after a day of sight seeing. The evening snacks are out of this world, as is the breakfast Paulette makes. It is our favorite place to get away to. Hope to go stay next year again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Paulette C, Owner at J. Paules Fenn Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Simply the BEST!

They love the Tree Top Suite #4 this is what we want to hear. Referred to as the ATTIC by another guest... Repeat customer , happy customer..... got to love them.....

THANKS,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Clinton Township, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed at this Inn and found the place to be clean, owners nice, food good, however would not stay again. Beds were very uncomfortable to the point where we had to put blankets on top of the mattress to give it a little cushion. Not a place to stay if you are not a big animal lover. They welcome pets here and most guest do have pets. I for one do not mind them but do not like sleeping where others may have had their animals on the bed, etc.

Since many places do not welcome pets this would be a place for you but not if you are not bringing your pets or if you are looking for a comfortable bed to sleep at night.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Paulette C, Owner at J. Paules Fenn Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I have just signed up as the owner of J. Paule's Fenn Inn and have found some interesting comments which I hope to slowly address.
"Good for Pet Owners"
We have had very few complaints about our beds, most people find them very comfortable, but we have gotten some mattress toppers for those who find a firm mattress not their thing. So we hope we have addressed this problem this particular guest was having. We do have one room the West Suite #1, which was completely redone around 4 years ago, which no pets are allowed for people who have problem with allergies. We do except pets so if that is a problem you should consider. what when booking. We charge $20 extra per day for our guest to bring their dogs and we have strict pet policies. We have not had any dogs of our own the past 3 years... and most people do not let their dogs sleep on the bed they have kennels and if they should have a special request we have special bedding.... We have only allowed one person to bring a cat and because of our own cat allergies we only except dog
Clarkston, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

My parents and I stayed at this B&B for one night. My husband was out of town, so instead of boarding our dog, I chose to take her with us. The J. Paules Fenn Inn B&B allows dogs, and it had a room with a queen and a twin bed so we did not have to get 2 rooms. It was very easy to find, about 10 minutes from Saugatuck/Douglas. We arrived and relaxed on the porch, but it was not recently cleaned. They had recently done some work, which caused the entry way and common room to smell of paint. The bedroom and bathroom were good. The grounds were nice, but it looked like they needed some more TLC. My parents and I agreed that the beds were really comfortable. I would stay here again, but don't expect luxury.

Pros-dog friendly, easy to find, close to Fenn Valley Vineyard, comfortable bed, owner had Off wipes for us, and the room was supplied with anything you may need, owner happily accomodated our request for an early (7am) breakfast, wine and desserts offered, but the wine tasted old, and the white wasn't chilled.
Cons-our room (#4) was right off the common room, the front porch was covered in gnats and mosquitos (gnats were all dead, mosquitos alive and biting!), and the biggest con was the owner trying to sell some sort of dietary supplement, to the extreme of putting out sample tablets for us with our breakfast.

• Liked — Dog friendly
  • Disliked — Sales pitch during breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dog Friendly:

On a hot summer evening I just have not figured out how to stop those bug from coming to the lights on the porch..and dying.... I do have brochures around about Juice Plus a whole food product which I have been taking for the past 8 years, we do not offer them to our guest any more but if they ask we will offer. They stayed in the room off the dinning area on the main floor... it no longer has a queen and a twin.... just a queen Guest room #5. Guest room #6 has twins. and can be rented as a two bedroom suite with a bath in the center.
Indianapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

I think I have flea bites from the pets kept at this B&B. Pets are the focus here, rather than the human guests. The three dogs of the B&B owners barked continuously and growled if one of the owners was not in the house with them when we ventured out of our room. While our room was adequate and Paulette makes some great biscuits, the toilet was not overly clean and the owners' llving quarters are also the public guest area. The living room was set up with a leather sofa that the dogs occupied and one big armchair, all facing the big screen TV which regularly played a video on a dietary supplement that Paulette was hawking. In fact, there was a lot of advertising on the product: Samples at breakfast, poster of information set up on a chair in the dining area, CD cued up in the bedside alarm clock/CD player, and pamphlets on the bedroom table. Paulette and her husband yelled back and forth at each other in a very unpleasant way, and Paulette just was not a welcoming person. She seemed out of sorts during our whole visit, and it began as soon as we walked in the door. Perhaps she could tell we were not in love with the B&B as she ran it, and try as we might to be polite, there was not a lot to compliment. We would have appreciated a warning about cats being allowed to stay on beds since one of us has a cat allergy. If you are a pet lover and don't mind things being very noisy and untidy, this is a place you would likely feel comfortable.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A dog of a B&B:

People are always the focus at our Inn and if you pet will vouch for you you can stay also. That is a joke....We charge for our 4 legged friend, $20 per day per pet, and have strict pet policies, and my I add we have never had flea's... How long do you think we would stay in business if that was true...
The only untidy thing you will find is my work area and try as I might my work desk seem to all was be full of projects, we are a working B&B...

This is a very old, report and at first I may have be over zealous about my whole food product I was taking... but that has changed , so don't worry I will not be bombarding you with taking more fruits and vegetables in to your diet each and every day for better health....LOL
Chicagoland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2007

My husband and I stayed at J. Paules Fenn Inn the weekend after Valentine's day. We were greeted by the innkeeper, Paullette's, three soft coated, lovable dogs. They were very curious and barked a little and settled down pretty quickly. She allowed us to bring our dear little kitties and keep them in our room. I have never stayed at a bed and breakfast before, so this was a true treat! The place was immaculately clean and is obviously well cared for.

We arrived early, and Paulette was very accommodating in every manner. She had a table full of cakes, snacks, a variety of fruit and cookies available all of the time, along with a HUGE variety of teas and coffees, even hot chocolate. She gave us a tour of all of the rooms and we were duly impressed with the beauty and uniqueness of each one.

In the bathroom and room We had every amenity we have at home--I realized I had overpacked!

Paulette was coming down with a cold, so I knew she had to not feel up to par, and yet was still so friendly, helpful and accommodating with everything we asked or needed. She gave us advice on the good restaurants in town, directions to the wonderful Fenn Valley winery, to South Holland and to a local area to cross country ski. Her husband Ewald told some hilarious stories.

The best part was after all of the other guests arrived, some with dogs, and we all sat around the table talking and getting to know each other along with Paulette, Ewald and Elaine, I have never such a wonderful experienced before. With all of the dogs, sometimes the residents and visitors barked a bit, but not very often or long. Definitely a piece of American hospitality.

My husband felt like he was home again, because the Inn was just like the house he grew up in, except better. The food was marvelous, and all of the special dietary needs were met, from diabetic to lacto-ovo vegetarian and an egg with cheese allergy.

We definitely will be coming back again, we really want to stay in the Tree Top suite, it is exquisite.

When you look for a good experience, the decorations and place are part of it, but the bigger part is the people. How you are treated colors your view of the whole event. Paulette was sweet, kind, helpful and funny. She, Ewald and Elaine all made the our time memorable and fun. They truly give of themselves.

Stayed February 2007
Wonderful treat:

This is from 2007, what a different review.

This is the one and only couple who we have allowed to bring their new little kitten with them, we do not allow cat normally, why I don't remember why, but we did this one time, I think we aggregated the cat had to stay in the room because of allergies I have with cat., we had no problem with our kittens stay and my allergies were fine.

Ewald and Elaine are no longer at the Inn , nor are my lovely little dogs.... Know I just love the Guest loving pets when they come and send them home like well mannered grandchildren.

Thanks for the lovely right up..... But please no more cats just dogs ; )
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

Noisy-Our room was outside the Dining/Living Room, and the Innkeepers and their family (at one point 4 pre-teen and teens plus 3 adults) hang out in the Living Room. Their tv was loud, and they were up watching tv, talking, walking until after midnight. It is a good place if you are traveling with dogs (they are dog friendly) and you get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor, and all you want is a nice comfy bed to sleep in.

• Stayed July 2006
Paulette C, Owner at J. Paules Fenn Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Really!
Sounds like summer to me 4th of July........ by 10 pm all is pretty Quite most of the time Sorry!
Paulette

Been to J. Paules Fenn Inn? Share your experiences!