“Was this really a Marriott Courtyard?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Farmington Hills

You added Hotel Farmington Hills to your Saves list
Hotel Farmington Hills
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31525 West 12 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, MI 48334 (Formerly Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Farmington Hills)   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Farmington Hills
San Francisco, California
“Was this really a Marriott Courtyard?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

God, this is an awful hotel. I must have had a brain infarct when I made this reservation. It was fairly inexpensive (in fact, dirt cheap compared to other places) and that should have been my first clue! This was a miserable 2-night stay. The good news is that I spent very little time at the hotel except to sleep. I attempted breakfast on the first morning, but walked out.

I had the one-bedroom suite and it was pretty bad. Dark, dark room, bereft of any natural light; beat up and worn furniture; and an old, outdated (and not clean) multi-jet spa tub - a relic from the 1980's. I generally use coffee makers to prepare hot water for tea. This coffee maker was beyond filthy. There were layers of sticky dust, it smelled of old coffee, and it clearly had not been cleaned in ages. The bed was uncomfortable, the room had an odor that no amount of air freshener could alleviate, the towels were threadbare, and the carpet was old, dark, and stained.

Breakfast (food and service) was laughable. The dining room was filthy when I arrived for a late breakfast: dirty tables, food on the chairs and on the floor, an harassed waitress who couldn't seem to get my order right, and the entire place looked like a beat up diner from some ancient 1970's movie. The entire scene was too much and given the conditions of my room, I just left the restaurant and had breakfast off-site. The less time I stayed at the hotel, the better.

Parking was free. (Well, it should be given the condition of this hotel.) The front desk was useless as well as the remaining hotel staff. Housekeeping was marginal - the sink in the bathroom didn't get cleaned. The location of the hotel is suspect. It's not near any businesses and the neighborhood is questionable.

When I pointed out the above observations to a manager (if that's what he was), he just shrugged his shoulders. That response told me everything I need to know. If management doesn't care about a property, then it's not going to get any better. I can say without hesitation that I'll never stay here, again. This places needs a MAJOR renovation or torn down and rebuilt.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night for convenience to the freeway. It is apparent that this was not originally a Courtyard, based on the layout. I felt like the hotel was too expensive for its current state. It seemed a bit out of date and in need of updating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed here for two nights and I would rate this lower than the other courtyards. Carpets are a little run down, pool is dirty and the place does look run down. On a positive note, staff is very friendly and helpful and the location is close to good restaurants and freeways.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights while I was moving between homes and needed a close place to work to avoid the commute. The hotel is really dated and in need of a face lift, but the room was clean and the staff were very nice. I booked my room through priceline so I cannot complain about the price, but I would not have paid the asking price for a room here. This hotel is rated a three star but I think it is bordering a 2.5 star.

Room Tip: Ask for the most updated room and one away from the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is the worst hotel that i have every stayed at. We rented to the room to save ourselves for the terrible heat of our house since we lost power due to a storm. When we arrived the room was cool but within being their 30 mins the room air conditioner broke. So they then moved us across the hall and after being in that room for a couple of hours that conditioner broke.

Room Tip: dont rent here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have been staying at this property for last 4 years - and always found their staff to be extremely accomodative of our needs. Special thanks to Restaurant staff for their personalised care and Chief Engineer Mr Scott for quick turnaround for resolving any problem. Will continue to choose this hotel whenever I visit Farmington again.

Room Tip: Rooms near exit doors for easy access
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This is NOT like a typical marriott experience! I'm a marriott rewards points holder and have stayed at several locations. The rooms were up-to-date at first glance, but were not very clean. Mildew ceiling tiles and moldy bathrooms. Even worse, our air conditioning went out and the room was nearly 90 degrees! Hot, hot hot!!! ....and non-working ice machines! They gave us a room to switch into at 2am, but the lights and the phones were all unplugged, so we had to go back to our previous room to confirm the switch. The managment was nice and apologetic, however this hotel needs some improvements! We will not stay there again. Sorry. I'm so very sorry.

Room Tip: Lower floor = not as hot...air conditioning may go out. Ask for newer room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Farmington Hills? Share your experiences!