“Great food, very good service, poor wine selections” 4 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Northwestern Highway & 14 Mile Rd
Description: this is a Matt Prentice restaurant
detroit, mich
“Great food, very good service, poor wine selections”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My mother, sister, brother in law and I went here on a friday night to try out the relocated restaurant. It went on a several year hiatus, and I am glad it is back. The decadent wild mushroom bisque is back (albeit not quite as rich as before- but thats a good thing). The selection of appetizers and menu is good but interesting. I had a special wood smoked strip steak that was excellent. Everybody enjoyed the food overall. The waiter was excellent, tended to our needs. The busboys need a little work.

This restaurant is owned by Matt Prentiss who has broken off from the Epicurean Group- formerly the Matt Prentiss Group- they parted ways so the restarant IS NOT in the same group as the Coach Insignia etc. as one reviewer has stated

Now the disappointment- the wine selections. First they had very limited by the glass selections. Their house wines are by Cartlidge and Browne- and are frankly junk- a restaurant of this caliber should not these on the list. Second their mid level cabernet sauvignon by the glass was not in stock. So the only DECENT cabernet was $ 25 a glass!!!!!
I discussed this with the sommelier who was quite snippy and said the waiter should have steered me to the Merlot. Well, I didn't want a merlot...

Come on Matt- get a new sommelier and a better wine list, this place deserves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Southfield, Michigan
“ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had dinner with my sister there for her birthday. I had the Coriander & Fennel Braised Lamb Shank and she had the Halibut. My lamb was greasy and should have been trimmed before cooking, the potatoes that came with it were a little watery. So I rated it ok. My sister enjoyed her Halibut, so this was good, because it was her day. Would I go back for the cost of the meal and the quality, no

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Not impressive at all.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I were not impressed with this restaurant. We dined here based on our past experiences at Coach Insignia, which is part of the same restaurant group. While we enjoyed the bread basket and the mushroom appetizer, the wine list was not as expansive as advertized, only featuring American wines. We ate around 7:30 PM on a Friday evening, and they were already out of the fish special, so I had to order the whitefish off of the regular menu which was bland. My husband also said that his steak was not up to par and was very fatty. Lastly, the cheesecake was not even very flavorful. Pretty disappointing.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Michigan
“Can't Wait to Go Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was recently (10-9-12) the keynote speaker for a meeting held at Morels. It wasn't clear to me that the engagement included dinner, so I had arranged to meet a friend for dinner at another restaurant afterwards. When I arrived at Morels, I learned that the engagement included dinner. Knowing I had plans for later, I had a few bites of salad (delicious!) and half of a roll (heavenly). I took a salmon dish and a piece of cheesecake with me. Later that night I crawled into bed with the cheesecake. It was hands down the best cheesecake I've ever had. It had some sort of nut (love the texture the nuts gave the dessert) in it and a great crust. I put half of the cheesecake in the fridge for another day. The next day I had the salmon. It was outstanding! There was some sort of fluffy sauce on top. I've had salmon in many restaurants. Never had it this good. It had a nice crust on it and was served over some sort of potato dish that was also delicious. Next I went to the fridge to retrieve my cheesecake. My overly efficient housekeeper had thrown it out! I kind of didn't want to speak to her for like a week! Just kidding, but not really. Kudos to the hostess who made me feel very welcome. I will be returning to this restaurant often.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beverly Hills, Michigan
“Great choices!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I ate at Morels on a Monday night. We were both pleased at the really interesting choices on the menu. The drink menu offers a nice selection of Michigan craft beers, along with other alcoholic beverages. The server indicated that they had just started on their fall dinner menu. The bread basket was outstanding, with four kinds of homemade breads and scones with honey butter. For my main course, I had the griddled duck confit and it was really delicious. The meat was meltingly tender and was served over red cabbage, apples and raisins, and sweet potato spaetzle. The only thing I would change is to have the spaetzle served on the side because it was browned but no longer crisp. My husband had the whitefish and he had the same comment: the potato cakes that were under the fish were tasty but no longer crispy. For dessert, we shared the chocolate pot de creme, which was a rich and delectable ganache-like pudding, beautifully and deliciously garnished. We thought the prices were very reasonable, and the service and ambiance were pleasant.

• 4 of 5 stars Food