“Worst hotel stay of my life!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Holiday Savings Special
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
New Lenox, Illinois
“Worst hotel stay of my life!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We were in Escanaba for a family function and reserved two rooms. The rooms were dirty (bathroom, carpet, walls, and ceiling). The rooms also smelled of animal urine. The hot tub was green and the jets did not work. When we told the clerk about the hot tub issues, she said, "well it's hot". The high speed internet did not work at all in the one room and very spotty in the other room. We decided to change hotels, the clerk approved the cancellation of our reservations, and we were told that the charge on our credit card would be refunded, it wasn't. After 10 days, 4 phone calls, and some very heated words, by the hotel staff, the manager finally agreed to refund the charges. This was definitely the worst hotel stay of my life!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Gary M, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
We are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. There is never an excuse for providing anything other than good service and a clean room to our guest. We would like you to know that we have addressed your concerns with our staff and have taken care of the issues. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I'm told that there are very few good hotels in the Escanaba area for a reasonable price, but this one just didn't meet my standards. Rooms and hallways smelled bad and were filled with old, outdated furniture. Everything just seemed dirty ... our mattress had blood stains on the edge. I was afraid to let our young child crawl around the room. On the plus side, the staff was pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We continually strive to improve our hotel and your comments give us input to do so. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with parts of your stay and we have addressed these issues with our staff. Please come back in the future to see the improvements we have made.
St. Paul MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

This motel delivers a lot of value for a very low rate and I would stay there again for that reason but it is not for everyone. On the plus side the bed was comfortable and passed my bed bug check, and the room was spacious and mostly clean. The free breakfast included boiled eggs, fruit and muffins. On the minus side, the motel is run down and needs updating. The top sheets on the beds were so worn you could see through them and there was some mold on the shower curtain. We rejected the first room offered to us because the fastener on the window (1st floor) was broken and the window could easily be opened from the outside. A desk clerk told us the owner was aware of the problem but if so why did they try to rent it to us? I am suspicious of the reviews of this motel which are highly favorable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Appleton, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

In December of 2008 my family stayed at this hotel on Christmas Eve. We had booked our room online prior to our arrival. When we got there, they told us that they needed a credit card for "incidental expenses." When the credit card bill arrived we were billed twice for the same nights stay. I called and spoke with the hotel's owner. He personally told me he would take care of everything. The next month, the same thing happened. The third month, I called again except this time the owner refused to return my calls. At this point the credit card company would not help since it had been too long and I could not obtain a proof of credit from the establishment. I have called over a dozen times. Written mutliple letters only to never get a penny back for them charging us 2 times for the same nights stay. This is a dirty hotel owned by people who will rip you off even on Christmas!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
6deers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010 via mobile

great stay. Clean, quiet, good breakast of waffles, eggs, muffins

• Stayed August 2010
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

This place is not a good place to stay. Here are the items I found deficient in merely the time it took to unload my luggage and deliver it to the room:

* The hallways smelled very bad
* The rear entrance/exit door's security lock is inoperative.
* The room smelled worse than the hallways
* The carpet in the room was stained badly
* The air conditioner in the room pumped what smelled like moldy air in
* The sink was chipped
* The concrete sidewalks are chipped and in bad repair
* The furniture in the room is old and dated

The nice young man at the front desk offered to show me another room, but the hallways smelled so bad and the place is in such disrepair, I couldn't bear to stay. He tried to remove the charges from my credit card, but I'd made my reservations through AAA and now must try to get reimbursed through Travelocity.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
West Bend
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I'm always hesitant to stay at a hotel I've not been to before, however, I must say I was very impressed with Americas Best Value Inn in Escanaba. Beginning with the friendly staff, to the clean room and the variety of the continental breakfast, I couldn't ask for a better place to stay for the price. It truly was a home away from home. I would certainly recommend this hotel to family and friends; and stay there again given the opportunity to pass through the U.P. again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!