“yummy, but” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Escanaba
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Fishers, Indiana
“yummy, but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The food was delicious, but they staff rushed us while we ate. I was barely half way through my yummy steak, when the waitress comes over I assumed to just check, and she was like...do you need a box, or anything else...here is your check...goodnight. I was like...really? So if you want a quick bite, check this out.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Escanaba, Michigan
“Not what it once was”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

11 years ago my husband took me here for our first date. He works out of town so for the next 8 years we went almost every Saturday night. It was really a special place for us. He got the exact same thing every time, a lg filet, 2 twice potatoes and what the waitress and I called lettuce soup, tossed salad with italian, hot bacon, and ranch dressing. I had a harder time because I liked everything on the menu. Especially since Saturday special was apple smoked prime rib. There was also the shrimp menuier (sp), the broccoli stuffed chicken, oh and cant leave out the chicken nelson (which I cd usually get at least 2 more meals out of) and without a question we always started out with the deep fried portebellas with an extra chipolte ranch and sometimes the bacon wrapped shrimp but my hubby made me stop ordering once he figured out what we were paying for only 4 of them. And lets not forget the delicious drinks and the infamous after dinner ice cream drinks. So a rough approximation is $125 a week not including generous gratuity because 90% of the time we had a fabulus waitress. I believe her name is Laurie. We have spent a low ball of $50,000 there. Not including lunches with friends, the build your salad is the best in town. And I miss our dates there but since the prices have skyrocketed there and crispignas reopened and their steaks and salads r just as good for a quarter of the price, my husband changed our date night since thts what he eats. I do still get to enjoy my faves on special occasions like bdays, mother days and Valentine s day. Sure wish your prices hadnt jumped up so much.

Jamestown, North Dakota
“Wonderful Meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was a very nice find. We had the house salad with strawberries and almonds with the vinaigrette that was delicious, the French Onion soup was just okay. I had the beef spare ribs and they were perfect.

Our waiters was wonderful, my husband and I shared everything and she had the kitchen split all the orders and there was plenty of food for both of us.

We would definitely recommend this restaurant if you are in the area. The food was good, the prices are a little high, but you really get good value for your dollars here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Woodbury, MN
“Surprise in Escanaba, MI-The Stonehouse Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were passing through Escanaba, MI for an overnight stay on our way elsewhere. Two culinary treats awaited us there, The Stonehouse Restaurant and the Swedish Pantry (in a separate review). Because we didn't have reservations, we had to wait 40 mins for a table, but the wait was definitely worth it. I had a steak with home-made sauce of tomatoes and mushrooms that was absolutely made to perfection and delicious. This had followed the soup special for the day, a concoction made with cauliflower, cheese, and cream. Yum! The portions are too huge for me, but that's a common problem in today's restaurants. So I took home the linguini with white clam sauce to eat later. My husband had a steak, also done to perfection, with a suburb twice-baked potato. We shared a large piece of carrot cake for dessert. There was sufficient parking, and we had a place to sit outside the bar (our choice) while we waited for our table.

This establishment has a full bar with table-seating in the bar for those who don't want to sit on stools. The service was friendly and timely, the food served piping hot. Old time cars are the theme of the bar décor, and the restaurant has frosted, inset glass windows along with mood lighting. We found that this is the most highly rated restaurant in town and now understand why.
We would recommend it any time and would encourage one to get reservations. They are able to accommodate parties and are willing to put tables together for a group too small to fill their extra room for private events.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
minnesota
“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stopped in the stonehouse this week for lunch. The parking lot was full and didn't know if we would get. We were supprised at how big the dining area was when we got inside! I ordered the lunch special. The rib and carrots were cooked to perfection! The gravy was awesome! My business partners ordered the prime rib sandwich, which they said was also very good!!! Will stop in again when in town!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere