“The Best of the Best” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Windsor, ON
“The Best of the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This restaurant was a bit out of the way for me. I travelled a little over an hour to a small quaint town called Erie, Michigan from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I had only viewed this restaurant online and was not sure what to expect. Upon arriving, found this to be an experience that was amazing. The town is extremely small and this place was built back in the 1800's. The minute you walk in, you can feel the history and wonderful atmosphere of this restaurant. The service from the time we entered until the time we left was outstanding. They made you feel right at home. The chef came out also to speak with us. I ordered bruschetta as a start. It was well prepared and seasoned perfect with the freshest of tomatoes and shredded cheese. A wonderful fresh loaf of bread with seasoned butter was next to the table. Then our salad and freshly made coleslaw which was one of the best coleslaws that I have tasted in a while. The main dishes ordered where fresh frog legs and fresh lake perch. Both dishes were prepared with the utmost care and great presentation. As a side was zucchini with onions steamed with a tomato sauce and a seasoned baked potato. I complimented the chef on the taste and he explained about the French background and living on a farm so that he cooked very basic with the freshest of ingredients being a must. It certainly showed and the taste was one that will have me returning to this wonderful restaurant once again. We ended with a very chocolaty cake, which was very enjoyable. This was a dinner for my Mothers Birthday Celebration. It certainly was worth the hour long drive.

• Visited July 2013

Toledo, Ohio
“Great Food & Service with Vegetarian Options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The food was delicious and fresh and the chef was willing to customize dishes to meet the dietary needs of the diners. The wine selection was superb. We enjoyed the meal so much that we spent extra time over desert.

• Visited March 2013
Sylvania, OH
“Great hospitality, Quaint Inviting Decor, Will Try Again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited Saturday for our Anniversary, heard many good reviews, so we were excited about our visit. The drinks were very reasonably priced, Jack Daniels @ $4.50. The salad was excellent with the house rosemary, lemon vinigarette with a nice mix of greens including arugula and baby beets. My husband ordered the seafood platter with shrimp, fish and frog legs, lightly breaded - he enjoyed it along with the vegetable of the day - shredded red cabbage. I had wanted the blackened beef tips which were sold out, so the waitress suggested I order the New York Strip blackened to replicate my 1st choice. Well that didn't turn out well - even though I received my steak medium rare as ordered, it was very chewy. I didn't say anything until asked how everything was and continued eating. My other choice was the garlic mashed potatoes - very good but not exceptional. I love veggies, but did not care for the red cabbage much. Just as we were finishing our meal, the owner (I presume), a charming French lady, visited our table and explained that the difference in the method of cooking the beef tips and steak with blackening spices is what made mine tough and suggested next time to have the chef cut my meat and then prepare as they do the beef tips in a saute pan. She was very concerned that I might be dissappointed and offered dessert - a wonderful raspberry cheesecake free of charge. This was large enough to share and excellent. We were both taken back at the attention & hopefullness that we would return by the waittress, and as she called herself, "The French Lady". I saw many things I would like to try on the menu so I do believe we will visit again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Michigan, USA
“Kind of Pricey and Food OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Really not much to write home about, but nicest place in the Erie area. Food prices are high and food itself it just average.

Visited January 2013
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“A Hidden Gem in Southeast Michigan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I have been enjoying the Frog Leg Inn for over 12 years. The food is excellent, excellent, excellent! Chef Tad prepares five star dishes that are unique and consistently scrumptious. We have never had a bad meal at the inn. The atmosphere is quaint and relaxed. The list of wines is wide ranging and very reasonably priced.

• Visited November 2012