“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tawas Bay Beach Resort

You added Tawas Bay Beach Resort to your Saves list
Tawas Bay Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   300 East Bay Street, East Tawas, MI 48730 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in East Tawas
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were looking for a pet friendly place and there are very few in the Tawas area so we were happy that they accept pets for a fee (30 lb. limit). People at the front desk were pleasant but not overly friendly. The hotel offers rooms on the city side for $90 or $100 forthe lake side. We made the mistake of taking a room on the city side. There is a train that runs through town twice a night and woke us up every night. Take the lake side and you can't hear the train as much. The hotel offered free breakfast from a special menu (omelettes, pancakes, french toast) which was very good. Also gave us $20 vouchers for the restaurant or bar during our stay. Room was clean, king bed was comfortable and the refrigerator worked well. Some of the rooms were being updated with new carpeting, etc. The TV in our room was old but it worked. Nice place.

Room Tip: Stay on the lake side so you don't hear the train coming through at night.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
South Lyon, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2015

This is a solid hotel for the price. It's located off the main road going through town, right on the water.

Paid $100 for the night. Clean rooms. Front lobby was nice and clean. Both front desk people we interacted with were friendly and helpful. The pool is nice with a good view of the water.

There's a bar connected to the hotel called Topsiders that usually has live entertainment on weekends. It's a great place to take a seat at the bar, chat with the bartender, and watch the sights around you. Plus, you get 10% off your bill and can charge everything to your room. A nice little perk.

I got vouchers for a free breakfast at their café. Although it was slow, it was free and was good!

One drawback: The hotel walls are thin! If you're a light sleeper and happen to have noisy neighbors, it's going to be a long night. Better to bring a fan or something that can drown out sound.

You get your money's worth here!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2015

This is an old-school former Holiday Inn, perfectly acceptable. During winter, the pool, hot tub, and sauna area is a real treat, though. They are in a solarium directly on the bay, so you can sit in a warm, humid pool area, overlooking the frozen bay. It's a nice pick-me-up in the middle of winter.

Conveniently, the pool is open much later than most hotels (11pm or midnight), which is really nice. I would agree with the last reviewer, though, and limit the hours that children are allowed. Screaming kids are really uncomfortable in a tile & glass room.

Rooms come with free breakfast vouchers for two. You get your choice from a small menu, but the food is quite good. Prices are crazy during the Perchville Festival!

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2015

We stayed 1/31/15

The good: the staff is AMAZING! Very friendly, they go out of their way to welcome you and seem to genuinely like helping their guests. We had especially good service from the woman at the front desk. She should get a raise! The onsite restaurant was also extremely good. We had dinner and breakfast there, and enjoyed everything. They had steaks, delicious bread, and sinful desserts. The food was well above what I expected. Our evening waitress was really really good. The price was also very reasonable. $99 off season.

The bad: the bed and pillows were horribly hard. I slept terribly. Really terribly. Mattress felt like a board. I was looking forward to the hot tub. We purchased the added romance package which was worth the cost, but the hotel does not feel romantic. They allow kids in the hot tub area until close(midnight). A large family was there the entire day and most of the night. The adults were drinking and the kids were screaming and shrieking. THE ENTIRE TIME. I have kids, no problem normally, but these few kids and their parents took over the whole area. It was too loud for other guests. There should be adult times later in the evening if the hotel is trying to upsell romance packages. Maybe adults only after 9. There should be some compensation for adults who want to relax in the hot tub. Decor was also pretty outdated, but it was clean.

Overall: i think the hotel could be amazing, with a few changes. I slept so awfully, I wont be back anytime soon, but I would give it another try in a while, and I would bring my own pillows.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2015

Veteran of many perchville feats here, plus a few blues festivals in august. A very old former holiday inn. Owners have been slowly updating portions of hotel. Service cab be hit or miss. They really overcharge for February. Perchville, but a lot of fun and the place to stay during festival. Tiki bar area in summer is fun also.

Room Tip: 1st. Floor bayside rooms are best
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Allen Park, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2014

On July 22, 2014 Five family members and myself went to the Tawas Bay Beach Resort for dinner. After our dinner we moved outside to the deck. When I went to sit down the chair broke and I fell on the deck. Family members helped me up and went inside to get help. Karaoke night and only one waitress who was busy. She told me nobody at the front desk to talk to about the incident.
She wrote three manager's names on a business card and told me she would tell one of the manager's and somebody would call the next day.
Nobody called, so late the next afternoon I called and left a voicemail message. Jasmine returned my call stating they didn't know anything about the incident until she heard my message. I ask about an incident report, she said I could come in and fill one out if I wanted to; I went that evening and filled one out.
I EXPLAINED I wasn't going to take legal action, that I had insurance, but wanted them to know I injured myself on their property, and worried about it happening to someone else.. I asked if there would be any kind of compensation, she said she had to talk to Chad, the General Manager.
Both my husband and I have stayed at the Resort and eat dinner in the dinning room when in the area for years, so we are regular customers. Never heard from Chad. Called and left messages he finally returned my call. Didn't seem too interested in what happened. A month later we were in the area, so I called to give him an update of my arm and shoulder injury and tests I had done. Still didn't seem interested.
Please BEWARE the chairs on the deck are rusted and not stable. Check it out before you sit in it for your own welfare. Still having ongoing problems. Held off on writing the review until now, hoping things would get better, but this continues to be an upsetting and painful experience. Because of the incident and the way I was treated, friends and family will no longer stay or eat at this Resort.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014

I just can't say enough of the great time I had here 10/14. The view, beach, pier, boats, service, food. I had a health issue coming off from the pier, and a housekeeper (gosh I wish I knew this woman's name) saw me in the hallway and was starting to run down the hall to me with such concern and caring on her face before I could even get it out that I needed to get to some meds in my room. The people were wonderful. If you are into sparkle, glitz and think you should be treated as a rock star you may be disappointed. If you want a clean, wonderful Hotel, with employees that do their jobs well and are real caring beings this is the place. Price good. The water, the views, everything anyone would want or need under one roof . The only thing this place may have lacked by the other posts, are good customers. Loved my stay

Room Tip: Bay side. I so wish I knew how to download the pictures I got on this site. Fantastic- are on my ti...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!