“Instgtr” 4 of 5 stars

300 East Bay Street, East Tawas, MI 48730 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in East Tawas
“Instgtr”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Pretty nice place to stay restraunt and bar need better service and variety. Rooms are need for up date example flat screen Tv microwaves fridges off the floor and. Etc all in all good place probly even funner in summertime average price rooms

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Howell
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I realize my stay was off season but I thought the room could use a bit of updating...the floor was lumpy and uneven, dark, and the beds were not comfortable. I do understand that this is not a hang out tin the room environment due to the beautiful lake side view, still could be a bit more comfortable and inviting. I will try other hotels in area for comparisons during my next trip north unless changes are made. thanks for asking....

Room Tip: none for reasons listed above. However the desk staf was very helpful....
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Yorkshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

The hotel is fine but a little dated, my main issues were no laundry service and the heating in the rooms. Breakfast and evening meals are great and for me consistently good over the 3 weeks here.
I'll be back!

Room Tip: Don't get room 154 in the winter, its freezing cold in there!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
West Bloomfield Township, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

After a lot of deliberating, my husband and I decided to have our wedding at this lovely establishment. While it is slightly out-of-date as far as decor goes, the hotel rooms were the least of my concern for such an event. And, after a lot of time spent with the staff of this hotel, I know that they are working on updating the rooms.

From the time we paid our initial deposit in Decemeber 2012 up until our wedding day on October 5, 2013, the staff was extremely helpful, responsive, and went above and beyond anything I could have asked for. As a very worrisome bride, it was extremely comforting to have the staff so on point. Every time I was worried about something, their response was,"Don't worry, it will be taken care of." I know a lot of people just say that to calm you down, but the thing was, they actually delivered, and that is something you can't find in most places -- especially when stress levels are high.

We had our ceremony on the beach outside, and it was lovely. There's nothing like having a Great Lake as your backdrop for your wedding ceremony. The staff had all of the chairs set up the night before, and though it rained, they were outside wiping down the chairs a half hour prior to the ceremony start to make sure they were dry.

The reception was great as well -- everything was set up just as I wanted it, and they pretty much catered to every whim I had. I wanted a hot cocoa/apple cider station set up outside, and they provided all of the things I needed to make that happen. I wanted a bonfire outside during the reception, and I got it. I needed an emergency bass guitar, and someone ran off to grab their son's. I needed a curling iron of a certain size, and no one in the whole hotel had one, and one of the staff member's ran home and got one for me. I'm not even kidding. They were amazing.

The rooms were lovely, I thought. I mean, they certainly weren't ultra-modern, but they were cozy, and we were all comfortable after a long night of dancing.

All in all, we had a wonderful experience with the staff, and I couldn't have asked for a better event. Everything went as planned.

Room Tip: A lake view room is the best option. Also, rates are much cheaper during the off-season, which is w...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lapeer, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

What a beautiful place to stay! without even asking we were given a room right by the doors and access to dining, outside, the game room. and if we wanted the lounge. I say without even asking
because one of us is handicap, but the very nice receptionist took care of us without ever blinking an eye! The room was clean,comfortable well stocked. We ate in the dining room,where we met the nicest gentleman "Jake" Jake was our waiter. Our every need was met and even anticipated ahead of time. We also had breakfast there and Jake suggested a portabello mushroom omelet.
Perfect! I will return for the comfort, staff and great food!!!Thanks Jake!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Traveled to East Tawas with my team of 5 people (5 rooms) on business to work with a local automotive parts supplier. Our corporate Travel system only listed about 4 facilities to be able to reserve a room, so I chose this hotel. The view from this location is great on the bay side of the facility. There is a train track across the street, and when it comes through in the middle of the night the train engine horn will startle you and roll you out of bed!!

The rooms are rather aged in style and need a general overhaul; I felt I was in the early 1980's. The TV's were not yet changed to digital flat screens. The cleanliness of the rooms were OK, but the out of normal traffic areas showed dust and needs a thorough vacuuming. The showers showed some slight signs of mildew on the shower curtain hooks and in the corners and bottoms of the showers. I found the beds to be firm and comfortable, with good pillows, sheets, and blankets. The air conditioning/heating system is not easy to adjust and has a wide temperature range setting for when it cuts on and off.

On the days we were here dinner was served in the lounge of the "The Topsider". The food was actually very good and of great quanity. The complementary coffee in the lobby was almost always fully stocked. The breakfast food quality was very good (from a limited menu), but it is not staffed well to take care of many at the same time. Also each waiter and waitress took care of the bills differently so it was very confusing.There needs to be more consistency and training. At check-out we found we were charged more that expected due to the miss management of the free breakfast tickets, but did not catch the errors until we had checked out. Only tips and additional items we ordered (above the breakfast coupon) should have been the amount charged.

We will return to the hotel due to the selection of "business type" hotels being limited in this area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rochester Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here one night from visiting the U.P. headed home. It is an older hotel and has been there for a while. Our room was on the ground level. Outside was the tiki bar and beach. During the peak season it will be louder. The bar was OK but the restaurant had bad reviews so we ate somewhere else.
The pier is walking distance to see boats and fishermen.

Room Tip: Breakfast was free. Left a $4.00 tip for two people.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!