“A lovely place for a wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Tawas Bay Beach Resort
300 East Bay Street, East Tawas, MI 48730 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in East Tawas
West Bloomfield Township, Michigan, United States
“A lovely place for a wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

After a lot of deliberating, my husband and I decided to have our wedding at this lovely establishment. While it is slightly out-of-date as far as decor goes, the hotel rooms were the least of my concern for such an event. And, after a lot of time spent with the staff of this hotel, I know that they are working on updating the rooms.

From the time we paid our initial deposit in Decemeber 2012 up until our wedding day on October 5, 2013, the staff was extremely helpful, responsive, and went above and beyond anything I could have asked for. As a very worrisome bride, it was extremely comforting to have the staff so on point. Every time I was worried about something, their response was,"Don't worry, it will be taken care of." I know a lot of people just say that to calm you down, but the thing was, they actually delivered, and that is something you can't find in most places -- especially when stress levels are high.

We had our ceremony on the beach outside, and it was lovely. There's nothing like having a Great Lake as your backdrop for your wedding ceremony. The staff had all of the chairs set up the night before, and though it rained, they were outside wiping down the chairs a half hour prior to the ceremony start to make sure they were dry.

The reception was great as well -- everything was set up just as I wanted it, and they pretty much catered to every whim I had. I wanted a hot cocoa/apple cider station set up outside, and they provided all of the things I needed to make that happen. I wanted a bonfire outside during the reception, and I got it. I needed an emergency bass guitar, and someone ran off to grab their son's. I needed a curling iron of a certain size, and no one in the whole hotel had one, and one of the staff member's ran home and got one for me. I'm not even kidding. They were amazing.

The rooms were lovely, I thought. I mean, they certainly weren't ultra-modern, but they were cozy, and we were all comfortable after a long night of dancing.

All in all, we had a wonderful experience with the staff, and I couldn't have asked for a better event. Everything went as planned.

Room Tip: A lake view room is the best option. Also, rates are much cheaper during the off-season, which is w...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Lapeer, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

What a beautiful place to stay! without even asking we were given a room right by the doors and access to dining, outside, the game room. and if we wanted the lounge. I say without even asking
because one of us is handicap, but the very nice receptionist took care of us without ever blinking an eye! The room was clean,comfortable well stocked. We ate in the dining room,where we met the nicest gentleman "Jake" Jake was our waiter. Our every need was met and even anticipated ahead of time. We also had breakfast there and Jake suggested a portabello mushroom omelet.
Perfect! I will return for the comfort, staff and great food!!!Thanks Jake!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Traveled to East Tawas with my team of 5 people (5 rooms) on business to work with a local automotive parts supplier. Our corporate Travel system only listed about 4 facilities to be able to reserve a room, so I chose this hotel. The view from this location is great on the bay side of the facility. There is a train track across the street, and when it comes through in the middle of the night the train engine horn will startle you and roll you out of bed!!

The rooms are rather aged in style and need a general overhaul; I felt I was in the early 1980's. The TV's were not yet changed to digital flat screens. The cleanliness of the rooms were OK, but the out of normal traffic areas showed dust and needs a thorough vacuuming. The showers showed some slight signs of mildew on the shower curtain hooks and in the corners and bottoms of the showers. I found the beds to be firm and comfortable, with good pillows, sheets, and blankets. The air conditioning/heating system is not easy to adjust and has a wide temperature range setting for when it cuts on and off.

On the days we were here dinner was served in the lounge of the "The Topsider". The food was actually very good and of great quanity. The complementary coffee in the lobby was almost always fully stocked. The breakfast food quality was very good (from a limited menu), but it is not staffed well to take care of many at the same time. Also each waiter and waitress took care of the bills differently so it was very confusing.There needs to be more consistency and training. At check-out we found we were charged more that expected due to the miss management of the free breakfast tickets, but did not catch the errors until we had checked out. Only tips and additional items we ordered (above the breakfast coupon) should have been the amount charged.

We will return to the hotel due to the selection of "business type" hotels being limited in this area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rochester Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here one night from visiting the U.P. headed home. It is an older hotel and has been there for a while. Our room was on the ground level. Outside was the tiki bar and beach. During the peak season it will be louder. The bar was OK but the restaurant had bad reviews so we ate somewhere else.
The pier is walking distance to see boats and fishermen.

Room Tip: Breakfast was free. Left a $4.00 tip for two people.
Saginaw, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Tawas Beach Resort is at very good location. My wife and our little dog stayed at the resort Aug.27-28th.2013 This was in the middle of the week. So it was quite. I wouldn't want the room we had on the weekend. It was the first room next to the entrance at the far end of the resort.
The few people coming in and out could be heard. They said this was the only pet friendly room on the main floor, the others were on the second floor, we didn't ask for the main floor. Just pet friendly. We had to walk what seemed like a half city block to the desk and the dinning area. We skipped breakfast.
The room we had was "ok", the resort could use some updates. The front desk people could use some customer service updates.
Through it all, we would stay at this resort again because of the location, "during the week".

Room Tip: I have no tips on rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Port Huron
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Rode the harley from Marquette Mi to East Tawas Mi a total of 378 miles.After the ride this place hit the spot with a in house resturant and bar.Have stayed here a few times and have always had great service.Room was big and quiet, so had a good night of sleep to start fresh in the morning.Easy check out and a good breakfast on the Resort.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lake Huron side and enjoy the sunrise!
Clinton Township, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I were guests on a Thursday and Friday with great accommodations. Because I am handicapped and a handicapped room was not available, the management went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. As a Thursday night guest our dinners were 10% off and Fridays breakfast was on the house. Saturday we were able to watch a tri-Athlon event sponsored by the Resort and other businesses in the neighborhood. This event was the first one we were able to attend. As to the meals, I had prime rib, baked potato and drinks (10%) off. Breakfast the next morning was from a limited menu but infact was one of the best morning meals we had ever enjoyed anywhere. Along with the event taking place in town, the restaurants and other stores were open and had very interesting gifts and souveniers.

Room Tip: Call ahead directly to the establishment and discuss the accomodations you require.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!