“Nice to visit during off season.” 3 of 5 stars

Tawas Bay Beach Resort
300 East Bay Street, East Tawas, MI 48730 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in East Tawas
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Nice to visit during off season.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here one night from visiting the U.P. headed home. It is an older hotel and has been there for a while. Our room was on the ground level. Outside was the tiki bar and beach. During the peak season it will be louder. The bar was OK but the restaurant had bad reviews so we ate somewhere else.
The pier is walking distance to see boats and fishermen.

Room Tip: Breakfast was free. Left a $4.00 tip for two people.

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Saginaw, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Tawas Beach Resort is at very good location. My wife and our little dog stayed at the resort Aug.27-28th.2013 This was in the middle of the week. So it was quite. I wouldn't want the room we had on the weekend. It was the first room next to the entrance at the far end of the resort.
The few people coming in and out could be heard. They said this was the only pet friendly room on the main floor, the others were on the second floor, we didn't ask for the main floor. Just pet friendly. We had to walk what seemed like a half city block to the desk and the dinning area. We skipped breakfast.
The room we had was "ok", the resort could use some updates. The front desk people could use some customer service updates.
Through it all, we would stay at this resort again because of the location, "during the week".

Room Tip: I have no tips on rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Port Huron
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Rode the harley from Marquette Mi to East Tawas Mi a total of 378 miles.After the ride this place hit the spot with a in house resturant and bar.Have stayed here a few times and have always had great service.Room was big and quiet, so had a good night of sleep to start fresh in the morning.Easy check out and a good breakfast on the Resort.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lake Huron side and enjoy the sunrise!
Clinton Township, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I were guests on a Thursday and Friday with great accommodations. Because I am handicapped and a handicapped room was not available, the management went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. As a Thursday night guest our dinners were 10% off and Fridays breakfast was on the house. Saturday we were able to watch a tri-Athlon event sponsored by the Resort and other businesses in the neighborhood. This event was the first one we were able to attend. As to the meals, I had prime rib, baked potato and drinks (10%) off. Breakfast the next morning was from a limited menu but infact was one of the best morning meals we had ever enjoyed anywhere. Along with the event taking place in town, the restaurants and other stores were open and had very interesting gifts and souveniers.

Room Tip: Call ahead directly to the establishment and discuss the accomodations you require.
Pinckney, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a converted Holiday Inn, and it shows. The hotel has a bit of a musty smell and much of the decor is outdated, the location is great, right on the water, and the room rates are quite reasonable. I have occasion to travel to the area for business, when I do I will stay here if there is availability.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I agree the rooms do need an update, but all in all we had a great view. Staff was great and so was breakfast. Labor Day weekend was busy, Bikinis had great entertainment Saturday and Sunday . We have stayed here before and will go back again .

• Stayed September 2013
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband & I got married at this resort on June 29th 2013 and I want to say that I am so glad we chose this resort, they really took care of us!! If you are considering doing the same thing do not hesitate, you won't regret it! I have had no less than 20 people tell me it was the best wedding they have ever been to!! First of all I can't give enough praise to the wedding event coordinator Jasmin Hewitt, she is amazing and paid close attention to every detail. She emails you all the information you need ahead of time, from menu to pricing to beverage choices and you simply email her back your choices. The day before the event she carefully helps you remember what everyone needs to do and is more than willing to accommodate any of your needs. She also paid close attention to our bar budget and as soon as we were close to running out of our set price point she let us know so we could switch to a cash bar. Our ceremony was on the beach, and I thought it was really cool that we were able to rent out the beach patio for our cocktails and appetizers where there was plenty of seating for the guests. The decorations for the banquet room were done by one of Jasmine's recommendations, Shelley with Antiques & Uniques and she was also amazing!! Be sure to ask Jasmin for her information, or Google the shop in Au Gres. The banquet room was absolutely breathtaking!! Now the one thing I hear over and over and I also agree with is the food at this place is no less than INCREDIBLE! We had 4 appetizers during our cocktail hour, and 2 main dishes and 4 sides during the reception and they all couldn't have tasted better. My guests were also saying how impressed they were with the food here. Make sure you try the coconut shrimp with Pina Colada dip or lobster, cheese, and spinach dip for appetizers and the homemade macaroni & cheese with dinner! Even before our event we were very impressed with the quality of the food every time we ate here. The main reason I didn't give this place 5 stars is because of the room quality. Although we stayed in one of the 2 King Jacuzzi suites which are the only updated rooms, the rooms my guests stayed in were just average in my opinion. Clean, not bad but not great either. Jasmin indicated that an upgrade to all the rooms was coming next year, I really hope so because it would help to take this place to the next level. Many other reviewers complain about the lack of customer service but I never saw that. Maybe it was because I was the bride? However even on my previous stays here the service seemed fine to me. Bottom line, DO choose this place for your wedding. We are planning on spending many future summer weekends at this resort also!!

Room Tip: Ask for the King Jacuzzi suite even if you do not plan on using the Jacuzzi. They will be priced hi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!