“Not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in East Tawas
Allen Park, mi
“Not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night, July 14, 2013. Our room did not originally have soap, etc. in the bathroom. We needed to flag down one of the folks cleaning the rooms to get basic amenities. The air conditioner was very loud and you had to turn it on or off every time you got too hot or too cold,... It didn't really work automatically based on room temperature. As the evening approached, we found an ant or two,... which turned into dozens before too long. We called the front desk about 11 p.m. and they were able to change us to another room ... without ants. The pool area was extremely hot and the pool water so hot that the kids would not even get in it. Most of the exercist equipment did not work. There were only 4 machines. Two did not turn on at all and the other two had mechanical issues that made them basically unusable. We were not able to get the WiFi to work while we were there and the front desk was unable to provide any help other than to say their computer was working just fine. The food was decent but overall this place was not worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I recently stayed here and had a horrible experience. I got to my room and there were 4 flies flying around the room. I killed them, no big deal. I woke up to take a shower the next morning and there were 20 to 30 in the bathroom. They were on my toiletries and on my dishes. Very disgusting! Then tried to go to sleep and between the springs sticking into my back and the trains it was impossible! My back actually went numb from one of the springs. I tried all sides of each bed and found the least horrible spot.

They have recently painted the hallway and put new carpet in the hallway. What about the rooms? They need A LOT of work!!

The only good thing to say is the food is good!

Room Tip: Rooms on the bayside have to be quieter than the street side, you should not be able to hear the tra...
Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just traveling down the east side of Michigan with no where in particular to stay. After passing one set of cottages or small hotels after another there was Tawas, a very nice place to stay.

We left the dining room to eat in the bar because there was a large table of loud women
The bartender did a good job of handling many customers at once. A server from the restaurant came over to take our order. I was prepared for cold, bland food. However, the food was hot and absolutely delicious. Whoever their cooks/chefs are, they should be sure to keep them. If I lived in the area, I would be a constant diner there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby Township
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have been to the Tawas Bay Beach Resort twice in the last three years. Just spent the weekend there (June 2013). The hotel is in a superb location with lots of beach, next to the marina and across the street from downtown. Rooms are generally clean and quiet. Did not eat at hotel except for drinks outside at the Bikinis Bar. This is not a fancy hotel but a nice place to bring the family. The only real negative is that the beds are not comfortable. I am about 180 lbs and I didn't feel like the bed gave me any support. Also, our room had two double beds which is very small for two people. At least queen would be nice. We would visit this hotel again due to location but hope that they upgrade the bedding.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is a 1st class hotel. The service was great from the time I walked in until the time I left. Maid service was excellent, The front desk was outstanding with Annette Balbaugh. I ate at the Hotel the whole visit and the food was superb. The lounge was so much fun. I daughter got married there on the beach and it was so well done and I want to thank Donna and the whole staff for pulling off a beautiful wedding. Also the bikini bar staff were awesome, they went out of there way to serve me. To the whole hotel staff, you guys and gals are great and you rock. Thank you so much for making my stay and my Daughter's wedding a great experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lapeer, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Hotel is a concrete box style that was built in the 1970's and thus the rooms are very quiet. The property is kept fairly clean and reasonably well maintained and the layout is easy to navigate. Breakfast is for people with time to lose. Start to finish at breakfast takes just under 1 hour. Yep service is sloooow. Beds are comfortable and the A/C machines make a lot of noise which is irritating to say the least. There are other choices in town but this is about average. Management is non existent at best.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lobby which is noisy and rooms that face the road.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Saginaw, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel sucked to say the least.. we had to share our bathroom with ants, the air conditioner would run for 10 minutes and then shut off and then we had to turn the fan on. The windows only opened about 6 inches and one screen had a huge hole in it so that window could not be opened. The floor was gross, you could only walk on it with shoes on otherwise it was a sticky gross feeling because the room was humid and musty.. When we showed the staff the ants they asked us to leave our room for 20 minutes so they could "spray" to get rid of the ants, when we returned there was nothing done nor sprayed, oh and you have to share your table with ants as well!! The bar in the hotel had some friendly staff but the drinks were WAY over priced and had more ice than anything in it, I would recommend if you go there to go out to the bikini bar and see Marcie she ROCKS and knows how to treat you and is a blast, she is about the only fun and positive thing at this hotel. Now if you want to go swimming you go right ahead and do that but you will be sharing the pool with mold. Yes there is mold along the top part of the inside of the pool which shows they DO NOT CLEAN the pool.. The view of the water was pretty but ummm I could get that for free without the ants and mold and rude staff.. When we were checking out we brought up all of the problems again to the front desk staff member and all she said was would you like me to charge the card that we have on file... UMMM HELLLLLOOOO RUDE AND DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER... I told her we would have liked to come back during the summer but there is no point in coming back when the air conditioning does not work and that would not be pleasant in the middle of summer when it is hot and humid out.. All she could say was, ya I agree. talk about jaw dropping.. They do supply you with shampoo but ladies bring your own conditioner.. Upon speaking with several staff members we found out that the owner of the hotel just does not care and it shows through his staff members.. I would rather have popped a tent and saved my money than stayed there.
This is seriously STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK hotel. If you are told you have room 146 BEWARE and RUN... I would not recommend this hotel to a single person.. You will not see us or anyone that we speak with there, well maybe at the bikini bar on nights that we know Marcie is working but otherwise that is a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAYYYYYYYYYY!! not even if yo paid us..

Room Tip: Do not use any of them.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!