“I had the best service from the time I walked int he door until the time I left” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tawas Bay Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Tawas Bay Beach Resort to your Saves list
Tawas Bay Beach Resort
300 East Bay Street, East Tawas, MI 48730 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in East Tawas
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is a 1st class hotel. The service was great from the time I walked in until the time I left. Maid service was excellent, The front desk was outstanding with Annette Balbaugh. I ate at the Hotel the whole visit and the food was superb. The lounge was so much fun. I daughter got married there on the beach and it was so well done and I want to thank Donna and the whole staff for pulling off a beautiful wedding. Also the bikini bar staff were awesome, they went out of there way to serve me. To the whole hotel staff, you guys and gals are great and you rock. Thank you so much for making my stay and my Daughter's wedding a great experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Lapeer, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Hotel is a concrete box style that was built in the 1970's and thus the rooms are very quiet. The property is kept fairly clean and reasonably well maintained and the layout is easy to navigate. Breakfast is for people with time to lose. Start to finish at breakfast takes just under 1 hour. Yep service is sloooow. Beds are comfortable and the A/C machines make a lot of noise which is irritating to say the least. There are other choices in town but this is about average. Management is non existent at best.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lobby which is noisy and rooms that face the road.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Saginaw, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel sucked to say the least.. we had to share our bathroom with ants, the air conditioner would run for 10 minutes and then shut off and then we had to turn the fan on. The windows only opened about 6 inches and one screen had a huge hole in it so that window could not be opened. The floor was gross, you could only walk on it with shoes on otherwise it was a sticky gross feeling because the room was humid and musty.. When we showed the staff the ants they asked us to leave our room for 20 minutes so they could "spray" to get rid of the ants, when we returned there was nothing done nor sprayed, oh and you have to share your table with ants as well!! The bar in the hotel had some friendly staff but the drinks were WAY over priced and had more ice than anything in it, I would recommend if you go there to go out to the bikini bar and see Marcie she ROCKS and knows how to treat you and is a blast, she is about the only fun and positive thing at this hotel. Now if you want to go swimming you go right ahead and do that but you will be sharing the pool with mold. Yes there is mold along the top part of the inside of the pool which shows they DO NOT CLEAN the pool.. The view of the water was pretty but ummm I could get that for free without the ants and mold and rude staff.. When we were checking out we brought up all of the problems again to the front desk staff member and all she said was would you like me to charge the card that we have on file... UMMM HELLLLLOOOO RUDE AND DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER... I told her we would have liked to come back during the summer but there is no point in coming back when the air conditioning does not work and that would not be pleasant in the middle of summer when it is hot and humid out.. All she could say was, ya I agree. talk about jaw dropping.. They do supply you with shampoo but ladies bring your own conditioner.. Upon speaking with several staff members we found out that the owner of the hotel just does not care and it shows through his staff members.. I would rather have popped a tent and saved my money than stayed there.
This is seriously STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK hotel. If you are told you have room 146 BEWARE and RUN... I would not recommend this hotel to a single person.. You will not see us or anyone that we speak with there, well maybe at the bikini bar on nights that we know Marcie is working but otherwise that is a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAYYYYYYYYYY!! not even if yo paid us..

Room Tip: Do not use any of them.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Beware...this hotel allows pets (nothing unusual there) but they DO NOT make an effort to seperate these guests from the guests who DO NOT HAVE PETS...guests like me who don't like the smell, sounds, or the even the thought of a dog possibly being in my hotel bed before me or scooting their but across the carpet I am standing on. I checked into room 132 for a nice relaxing weekend with my family and the hotel put guests with a BIG, STINKY dog DIRECTLY ACROSS THE HALL FROM US IN ROOM 131!!! Not only did the dog smell (as it was a rainy/cold weekend) but IT BARKED ALLLLLL NIGHT AND STARTED UP AGAIN AT 7AM WAKING US ALL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT SEEMS LIKE COMMON SENSE TO ME TO HAVE DESIGNATED ROOMS WHERE GUESTS TRAVELING WITH ANIMALS CAN STAY AS NOT TO DISTURB OTHERS WITH PET ALLERGYS OR WHO ARE TRYING TO GET SOME PEACE AND QUIET.....BEYOND INCONSIDERATE!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

First, I will start with the positives. The beach front scenery is nice and the live band in the bar was pleasant. I would respectfully say, those are the only positives.

Now the negatives. The hot tub was cold and the water level was very low. There were only a few lights on in the pool area, the sauna has not been working for awhile (as I was told), there were cob webs in the bathroom, and holes/tears in all the towels. The TV's were outdated, big/boxy and there was an unplugged mini fridge just sitting on the floor at the foot of the bed. I paid $130 for this room, thinking it was be a nice beachfront hotel. We complained about the the hot tub and lights and it took them nearly 20 min just to turn the lights on.....Mind you it was nearly 9:30 pm...we could barely see....the hot tubs temp never even reached 85 degrees when the sign nearby said it should be 101. On top of that, the jets were literally shooting out cold water. The ceiling in the pool area looks like it's going to collapse at any moment.

We were lied to about the manger being on duty. I was told, the next morning, that there HAD been a manager there the night before when I had asked. Their excuse was that the desk operator was a new employee. I didn't know you had to work there awhile for someone to know where the manager is?! The manager, Chad, finally came in on Sunday morning. I was told he was the owners son but after this disaster of a vacation, who knows what to believe with them. My Mom went and spoke with him in the lobby for several minutes. He wasn't apologitic and only said, "thanks for letting me know....yeah, it's opening weekend for us..." We weren't looking to get a free room by any means but COME ON!

Since leaving I have tried to contact the manager, Chad, two times....and left messages...I still haven't heard back from him. The breakfast was a nightmare. Everyone received free breakfast vouchers upon checkin and they just didn't have the wait staff to keep things flowing. We sat there 45 minutes until they got our drink orders....Which we had to go out into the lobby and refill ourselves (coffee) After eating, one and a half hours later, multiple people were complaining and walked out. Did I mention all 3 of our orders were wrong?

I would not recommend this place. After the horrible service, the " I don't care" Chad, and run down facilities, I won't be back. It's very sad because this used to be a family tradition and we were trying to start it up again. I honestly don't think this place will be around much longer due to poor management.

• Stayed May 2013
Burnaby, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I didn't have time to check reviews, and checked in when I could drive no farther. Reception was friendly. Room basic but more than adequate. Appreciated the small refrig with tiny freezer that could be plugged in. It was NOT overly noisy, thankfully!.
Room was clean, quiet, and bed very comfortable. Pillows not the feather type which I like better.
Stayed on lake-side and enjoyed the view. Had TV with some cable and wi-fi worked easily and just fine.
Breakfast was not included for the $113 AAA rate, but I was given 10% off instead. I really LOVED the skillet breakfast. I chose the veggie skillet and added ham which was thinly sliced, almost "pulled" and pan fried first. Best breakfast ham ever!Hash-browns were crispy and PERFECT (not the usual hash-yellows or hash-whites more often served) and the over-easy eggs just right. Toast was uninspiring. Waitress was great and kept my coffee cup full.
If I am ever back this way, I want another skillet breakfast!
The place was over-run with "birders" in to see the southward migration of many species. When woking on my laptop while waiting for my breakfast, I was surprised to hear the two older conservative-lloking women at the table next to me describing what mating scenes they had been watching, but then I remembered they were talking about BIRDS... :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was skeptical to stay here when I realized it was once a Holiday Inn but liked the location so we stayed. I was pleasantly surprised at our lake view room and the front desk was among the friendliest we have ever encountered. The breakfast, although in the restaurant was "on the house" with the voucher they gave us at check in and it was very good! Huge portions and good choices and the dining area overlooked the bay. Another thing I really liked was the facial soap in the rooms, a olive oil with blood red orange. They went above and beyond with the soap choice by Tarocco and even gave me the site they order it from. Overall a great stay for our family!

Room Tip: Ask for lake side and watch the sun come up. The girl who checked us in offered a choice so kudos f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!