“Rude and run down” 1 of 5 stars

300 East Bay Street, East Tawas, MI 48730 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in East Tawas
“Rude and run down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

First, I will start with the positives. The beach front scenery is nice and the live band in the bar was pleasant. I would respectfully say, those are the only positives.

Now the negatives. The hot tub was cold and the water level was very low. There were only a few lights on in the pool area, the sauna has not been working for awhile (as I was told), there were cob webs in the bathroom, and holes/tears in all the towels. The TV's were outdated, big/boxy and there was an unplugged mini fridge just sitting on the floor at the foot of the bed. I paid $130 for this room, thinking it was be a nice beachfront hotel. We complained about the the hot tub and lights and it took them nearly 20 min just to turn the lights on.....Mind you it was nearly 9:30 pm...we could barely see....the hot tubs temp never even reached 85 degrees when the sign nearby said it should be 101. On top of that, the jets were literally shooting out cold water. The ceiling in the pool area looks like it's going to collapse at any moment.

We were lied to about the manger being on duty. I was told, the next morning, that there HAD been a manager there the night before when I had asked. Their excuse was that the desk operator was a new employee. I didn't know you had to work there awhile for someone to know where the manager is?! The manager, Chad, finally came in on Sunday morning. I was told he was the owners son but after this disaster of a vacation, who knows what to believe with them. My Mom went and spoke with him in the lobby for several minutes. He wasn't apologitic and only said, "thanks for letting me know....yeah, it's opening weekend for us..." We weren't looking to get a free room by any means but COME ON!

Since leaving I have tried to contact the manager, Chad, two times....and left messages...I still haven't heard back from him. The breakfast was a nightmare. Everyone received free breakfast vouchers upon checkin and they just didn't have the wait staff to keep things flowing. We sat there 45 minutes until they got our drink orders....Which we had to go out into the lobby and refill ourselves (coffee) After eating, one and a half hours later, multiple people were complaining and walked out. Did I mention all 3 of our orders were wrong?

I would not recommend this place. After the horrible service, the " I don't care" Chad, and run down facilities, I won't be back. It's very sad because this used to be a family tradition and we were trying to start it up again. I honestly don't think this place will be around much longer due to poor management.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Burnaby, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I didn't have time to check reviews, and checked in when I could drive no farther. Reception was friendly. Room basic but more than adequate. Appreciated the small refrig with tiny freezer that could be plugged in. It was NOT overly noisy, thankfully!.
Room was clean, quiet, and bed very comfortable. Pillows not the feather type which I like better.
Stayed on lake-side and enjoyed the view. Had TV with some cable and wi-fi worked easily and just fine.
Breakfast was not included for the $113 AAA rate, but I was given 10% off instead. I really LOVED the skillet breakfast. I chose the veggie skillet and added ham which was thinly sliced, almost "pulled" and pan fried first. Best breakfast ham ever!Hash-browns were crispy and PERFECT (not the usual hash-yellows or hash-whites more often served) and the over-easy eggs just right. Toast was uninspiring. Waitress was great and kept my coffee cup full.
If I am ever back this way, I want another skillet breakfast!
The place was over-run with "birders" in to see the southward migration of many species. When woking on my laptop while waiting for my breakfast, I was surprised to hear the two older conservative-lloking women at the table next to me describing what mating scenes they had been watching, but then I remembered they were talking about BIRDS... :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was skeptical to stay here when I realized it was once a Holiday Inn but liked the location so we stayed. I was pleasantly surprised at our lake view room and the front desk was among the friendliest we have ever encountered. The breakfast, although in the restaurant was "on the house" with the voucher they gave us at check in and it was very good! Huge portions and good choices and the dining area overlooked the bay. Another thing I really liked was the facial soap in the rooms, a olive oil with blood red orange. They went above and beyond with the soap choice by Tarocco and even gave me the site they order it from. Overall a great stay for our family!

Room Tip: Ask for lake side and watch the sun come up. The girl who checked us in offered a choice so kudos f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Okay, don't expect the Ritz. It's a former Holiday inn, which, according to newspaper articles in the lobby, was bought by a family and refurbished. Karyn at the front desk was very nice and extremely helpful. Sure, the hallways are a little tired, and the room is a little outdated, it's very clean. The restaurant in the hotel is very good and has beautiful views of the lake. the pool is nice, as with the beach. The best time to go is summer, June or August. The downtown has has lots of little shops. Overall, it was a nice place!

Room Tip: Get a lake view room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

East Tawas in March is not the most exiting place to be.
This hotel is OK but not much more than that.
There is a lack of sockets in the room and it would be a great improvement if a microwave was in the room as the dinning facilities in the town are very limited. The food is Ok if not very vegetarian friendly but the cook did try.
The breakfast was weird to me, no cereal but some cooked alternatives which again included a vegetarian alternative, if cutting it in half.
The staff were friendly but it is not the place for me really, at the week end it was noisy in the corridors

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Port Huron, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Tawas Bay Beach Resort has had a bumpy growth. Located on beautiful Tawas Bay on Lake Huron, it's location is one of he most beautiful facing the sunrise side of the state. I was here two years ago to have dinner. Let's call that experience, " uninspiring". This time, I stayed overnight. Unfortunately, a water main somewhere in East Tawas had broken and there was a boil water alert for the town. The woman at the desk handed us two bottles of water to brush teeth with. The dinner was a vast improvement; they had hired a new chef last fall. While a bit over the top with the sauces, most of the menu was several steps above the American plates of yore. Fresh Whitefish was offered but it was sold out! Cod and salmon were also there, although the salmon was frozen. Salmon was however delivered fresh frozen weekly, so that wasn't a negative. Pepper encrusted steak was decent, cooked as ordered. The rooms were tidy and neat and warm, with the heating/ air conditioner the usual too hot/too cold. No biggie; the comforter and multiple pillows made a good night's sleep. Noteworthy: had to laugh at the note in the John admonishing would be towel pilferers that if they did in fact wish to take the towels, a charge would be levied on the bill.
All in all, comfortable, good food, and a pleasant place to say.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the bay cost a bit more. My stay was around $80.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Canton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Just booked my reservation for a trip to E. Tawas this summer. We have stayed at this resort in the past and have enjoyed our accomendations and the awesome view of Lake Huron. We enjoyed the life music on the beach and the Bikinis Beach Bar just a few steps from our room.
It's a fun atmosphere and very relaxed. The hotel is older but its clean and the staff are very helpful if you need anything. We enjoyed our meals at their restaurant also. Looking forward to some fun in the sun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!