“Love this place” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
East Lansing, Michigan
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I was with some friends at another sushi place in the area and got a call to meet my husband at this place. I finished my roll, salad and soup and drove to Sushi Ya and had some more soup, salad and another roll! It was WAY better than the place I had been - everything was just so much fresher and more flavorful. The staff was more into the food too - you can tell the chefs are proud of their creations. I will always pick Sushi YA for sushi in East Lansing.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

East Lansing, Michigan
“Favorite place in East Lansing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We eat here as often as the budget allows. Best sushi in mid-Michigan. Rivals best ANYWHERE. Good value & super great service. A pleasure to be a guest at Sushi YA!!

London
“Decent service, attentive waitress, but little atmosphere, not helped by loud pipe music. Food ok but not great. I either ordere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011 via mobile

Decent service, attentive waitress, but little atmosphere, not helped by loud pipe music. Food ok but not great. I either ordered poorly or was not understood. Avoid "spicy tuna" which was tinned tuna with chilli sauce. Yuk.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“Some of the best sushi I've had! And I've had a lot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Found this place using my Yelp app for Ipod. Just down the road from my hotel, it was worth walking in the 15 degree cold from my parking spot. Sat at the sushi bar and chatted with one of the 2 chefs. Waitress was nice, and the service was top notch! The food was great. Good, fresh tuna, and well made sushi!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Michigan
“Best sushi in the Lansing area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

We've been going here for a quite a few years now. Many folks either hated or loved the old location. I loved it because it might have helped cut down on the foot traffic.(bad for biz?) The chefs are always friendly and the waitstaff is the same. If you go enough for them to get to know you, a lot of times they will make a special roll not on the menu and bring it to your table at no charge. We've been the recipient of the banana tempura almost every time we go now. We just sort of expect it. ;-) If you wish to compare Sushi Ya to other locations, quality of the fish and rolls are virtually the same(if not just a tad better) as Sansu - but at a slightly lower overall price. Miso soup and ginger salad are included with meals. My only beef is that they still haven't utilized a small printed out sushi menu to mark what you want. I usually take a spare piece of paper with me and write down my order and then hand it to my waitress. I've *never* encountered a wait, unlike at Sansu. Hopefully it stays that way with their new location.