“Love this Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Lansing, Michigan
“Love this Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

This is my all time favorite place to eat. I so love coming here. Their spicy lamb, their lima beans, the spicy lentils, the cabbage. OMG! I love it all! Don't miss coming here. Some people don't particularly love the injera bread, but they should try the dishes on rice. That is equally delicious.

Spring Lake, Michigan
“One of our favorites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Lansing and East Lansing area has really grown over the years, especially when it comes to food. We are really lucky to have some of our local food establishments. One of them is Altu's, and I've been eating there for eleven years. They offer very tasty, hearty food and wonderful atmosphere. They're friendly and attentive, and the price is reasonable.

My daughter and I always share a plate because they give you a nice portion of food. I especially love their collard greens and cabbage, and the salad dressing is a favorite of mine. They really should bottle it and sell it. I don't like the Ethiopian bread - it's too sour for me - so I always order rice. I have never been disappointed with anything I've had there, except that I wish their side portions were a little bigger. But for the price, I'm not complaining.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
East Lansing, Michigan
“My favorite East Lansing restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Ok, maybe you can get better Ethiopian food in San Francisco and Washington, D.C., as another reviewer wrote, but this is East Lansing, MICHIGAN! IMHO, Altu's serves the BEST Ethiopian food between the two coasts. We've been going there since our two kids were very young (they are now in college) and even they loved the "Meat and Veggie Feast for Three" that became our usual order. We love the "bread" (injera; it's a sourdough, and it is different from every other kind of "bread" so maybe that is why the other reviewer didn't like it?) It would be a shame to order rice without at least trying the bread! Altu and her staff are welcoming and always ready to advise newcomers. We are treated as family when we visit and feel very lucky to have Altu's in our community.

• Visited October 2012
Lansing, Michigan
“Tasty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The food is good, but I only have it "Average" because it is nowhere as good as the Ethiopian that I've had in San Francisco and Washington DC.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Different and Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

I've been coming here for many years on my various trips to East Lansing. The food is always good. It's very flavorful and especially nice because it's uncommon. It's also very healthy - at least the many vegetarian options are. I recommend giving this place a try if you're an adventurous eater.